Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger cost (Ontario Generally) vs Home Charging (Toronto)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting on my Model 3 but started thinking about charging. I live in Toronto (North York) and plan on installing a HPWC in my garage and will do most of my charging at home. While I expect to use (paid) Supercharging while travelling, I was wondering about those times that I stop (for shopping), for example at Vaughn Mills, or other local places that have Superchargers.

I appreciate that if you have an X/S with free supercharging, most would typically take the opportunity to get some free charging at a Supercharger even if they are not roadtripping. But for those of us with paid Supercharging, does anyone have a sense of the comparison costs to Supercharging vs home charging (presumably at off-peak hours)?

As I don't yet have my Model 3, I have not really paid too much attention to the various charging rates. Wondering if it is "worth" taking advantage of some Supercharging when the opportunity is available, (again, not when on roadtrips) or is it more "cost efficient" to just charge at home?

TIA (thanx in advance)

Waiting on my Model 3 but started thinking about charging. I live in Toronto (North York) and plan on installing a HPWC in my garage and will do most of my charging at home. While I expect to use (paid) Supercharging while travelling, I was wondering about those times that I stop (for shopping), for example at Vaughn Mills, or other local places that have Superchargers.

I appreciate that if you have an X/S with free supercharging, most would typically take the opportunity to get some free charging at a Supercharger even if they are not roadtripping. But for those of us with paid Supercharging, does anyone have a sense of the comparison costs to Supercharging vs home charging (presumably at off-peak hours)?

As I don't yet have my Model 3, I have not really paid too much attention to the various charging rates. Wondering if it is "worth" taking advantage of some Supercharging when the opportunity is available, (again, not when on roadtrips) or is it more "cost efficient" to just charge at home?

TIA (thanx in advance)

Simple answer is to charge at SC you pay 50% of gas price. Charging at home is less than 10% of your gas price.

TIA (thanx in advance)

Also depends on SC speed apparently. I was asking at the Oakville store and the SC at Mapleview mall in Burlington is effectively $.40/kwh according to him...so I won't be using that one :)

TIA (thanx in advance)
Since SuperCharger rates vary by tier and location it is hard to give a blanket answer. But as a rule of thumb unless it is a free charger (destination or otherwise) it will be cheaper to charge at home. Here in TN a full home charge is $7 while a SuperCharger is about $9. So no big deal either way. And for me always cheaper than gasoline.

Reactions: Safari
Since SuperCharger rates vary by tier and location it is hard to give a blanket answer. But as a rule of thumb unless it is a free charger (destination or otherwise) it will be cheaper to charge at home. Here in TN a full home charge is $7 while a SuperCharger is about $9. So no big deal either way. And for me always cheaper than gasoline.

Here is a Canadian sub forum. Using TN number will confuse ppl. In Ontario, Tesla legally charged by minute which is much more expensive than your rates.

Yes a full charge a Model 3 will cost 32CAD which is about 50% of gas price.
Very few people would fully charge at a superstation. Usually just charge from a low of 20% to a high of 80% is the most cost effective. If you get a 120 Kw charger that is a charge rate of 700 km per hour or 11.66 km per min. At $0.40 per minute that is $0.034 per km. A car getting 8L per 100 km is 12.5 km per litre or $0.104 per km. So the supercharger is only 1/3 the cost of gasoline. A Tesla wall charger @ 48 amp and 240V will use 11.5kw and show 70 km per hour. That is 16.4 km per kw. Those with time of use can get $0.07 per kw to $0.13 during peak. Bulk rate for others is $0.11 per Kw. or less than 1 cent per km ($0.0067). So to answer the OP question, much better to charge at home especially off peak. Supercharge when you need. I usually do it to keep my state of charge above 20% for battery life.

• Informative
Reactions: Munch
Very few people would fully charge at a superstation. Usually just charge from a low of 20% to a high of 80% is the most cost effective. If you get a 120 Kw charger that is a charge rate of 700 km per hour or 11.66 km per min. At $0.40 per minute that is $0.034 per km. A car getting 8L per 100 km is 12.5 km per litre or $0.104 per km. So the supercharger is only 1/3 the cost of gasoline. A Tesla wall charger @ 48 amp and 240V will use 11.5kw and show 70 km per hour. That is 16.4 km per kw. Those with time of use can get $0.07 per kw to $0.13 during peak. Bulk rate for others is $0.11 per Kw. or less than 1 cent per km ($0.0067). So to answer the OP question, much better to charge at home especially off peak. Supercharge when you need. I usually do it to keep my state of charge above 20% for battery life.

You seldom will get 120 kw charger. Sorry .

You seldom will get 120 kw charger. Sorry .
Are you basing that on the S/X? They seem to taper much faster than the 3. I find if I'm low enough to bother visiting a Supercharger I'll be getting 120kw, and it doesn't taper until the battery has charged quite a bit (60% maybe?).

The 3's cooling also seems much more powerful. Even at 120kw it's pretty quiet, while the 2017 S a couple stalls over is loud. I won't be surprised if it's currently limited to 120kw just to maintain parity with S/X. The EPA docs for the 3 did say it was capable of 210kw.

Are you basing that on the S/X? They seem to taper much faster than the 3. I find if I'm low enough to bother visiting a Supercharger I'll be getting 120kw, and it doesn't taper until the battery has charged quite a bit (60% maybe?).

The 3's cooling also seems much more powerful. Even at 120kw it's pretty quiet, while the 2017 S a couple stalls over is loud. I won't be surprised if it's currently limited to 120kw just to maintain parity with S/X. The EPA docs for the 3 did say it was capable of 210kw.

I do not mean Model 3 can’t be charged at peak rate. I mean most time the SC spot is shared by another adjecent Tesla being charged , and you never get peak rate in that case. Here in Markville, 4 SC spot share one circuit, and we seldom could get the peak rate.

Cost me $16 Tier-1 for 80 mins charge + $1.60 Tier-2 for 4 mins charge (total of $19.62 incl. tax) to charge my Model 3 from 35% to 99% at one of the Sherway superchargers last Friday noon.

65% of 500 Km , costs 20 CAD , 5.7$ per 100KM, if a Honda Civic could do 8L per 100km , it is about 50% of gas price. This confirmed my estimate at 1st flr.

Hi friends
I have five friends free, unlimited Supercharging with a new Model S or Model X until September 16th.
Who want free supercharging can use my referral code:
You wiil take free supercharging
I will have exclusive awards for my referrals—including a Signature Black Wall Connector, and an invitation to Tesla next unveiling event))
Do not post referral codes on the forum please.

I can't speak for Mapleview in Burlington since I haven't charged there. However, I have charged in Kingston and Belleville on five occasions. The charge rate was 118kW until 53% charge. At $0.40 per minute, that is ~$0.20 per kWHr after tax. That is roughly twice the all inclusive overnight rate. The cost will vary as it charges above 53% and the power ramps down. Overall, the cost at the superchargers is similar to charging at home during peak rates. The key is to not supercharge past 80% in most cases and always avoid going past 90%. Above 90% is expensive and just wasting a charger spot.

For those curious, here's what the Supercharger Invoice looks like:

Tesla Supercharger Cost - Kingston, ON

I'm assuming 'total units' is the kwh used under each tier? If so, this session is averaged to about $0.35/kwh, which is in line with what a tesla rep told me a SC would cost for a model 3. And about 3x home charging off peak.

I really wish they would just charge by the kwh instead of time though. Because there are different actual charge rates within the two tiers, so depending on what your starting SOC is for the session you actually pay a slightly variable amount on supercharging. Would make it much simpler to do it like in the states which (I believe) charges by the kwh, not by the minute...