Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cottonwood, CA (LIVE 4 May 2022, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20220312_053450.jpg

You would think Tesla would just do it and be done.
They literally aren't allowed to. The transformer is utility equipment and doesn't belong to Tesla. Tesla gets the site ready for the transformer by trenching, laying conduit, and pouring or placing the pad for the transformer, but the utility actually provides it, installs it, and connects all the wiring from the grid to the transformer and from the transformer to the site's switchgear. From that point on it's Tesla's show, but everything upstream of the circuit breakers is out of their hands.

And PG&E apparently get's their transformers from the moon as it can take months from when they are needed until they are installed. I get that they are heavy, but I don't get the crazy wait times for them. Can't we order one in advance and have it delivered to my local PG&E crane truck facility and they wait until we finish building the site and then just truck it over. Or drop it on site first and when we finish the site send a guy to hook it up.

Maybe Elon should just buy PG&E and turn it private 😏

And PG&E apparently get's their transformers from the moon as it can take months from when they are needed until they are installed. I get that they are heavy, but I don't get the crazy wait times for them. Can't we order one in advance and have it delivered to my local PG&E crane truck facility and they wait until we finish building the site and then just truck it over. Or drop it on site first and when we finish the site send a guy to hook it up.

Sadly, this issue of: waiting for transformer is becoming very often and its not only a PG&E issue. The same is happening with the new supercharger in Burbank (Burbank Water & Power), its been waiting for the transformer since December.

Reactions: Trekboy
Sadly, this issue of: waiting for transformer is becoming very often and its not only a PG&E issue. The same is happening with the new supercharger in Burbank (Burbank Water & Power), its been waiting for the transformer since December.
Not sure if it's the case for either of these, but sometimes there are other upgrades needed on the service side beyond just getting a transformer and connecting it to a nearby line. Windsor comes to mind, where upgrading a block or two of existing underground line was needed to handle the combined load of the supercharger and other nearby connections. Supercharger - Windsor, CA (LIVE 5 Nov 2021, 12 V3 stalls)

Reactions: mociaf9 and 1100MCM

A long time ago, I heard a rumor that PG&E does not even order the transformer from their supplier for this kind of installation until it passes inspection by the City/County/AHJ. This would obviously greatly increase the time to get a project powered on compared to a case where the utility ordered the transformer once substantial construction had started. I don't know if this actually true now, or ever was.