Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cottonwood, CA (LIVE 4 May 2022, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know that they discover the bad stalls immediately, that's why it's always best practice to toss the cord over the top of the charger if it's not working. I think they just check if no one has used a charger in a time they will mark it as bad and schedule a tech to check it out. Living next to a Supercharger I see them all the time. Wish other vendors were so concerned about uptime.

Reactions: Trekboy
I don't know that they discover the bad stalls immediately, that's why it's always best practice to toss the cord over the top of the charger if it's not working. I think they just check if no one has used a charger in a time they will mark it as bad and schedule a tech to check it out. Living next to a Supercharger I see them all the time. Wish other vendors were so concerned about uptime.

That's one way of doing it, and generally makes for a better end user experience since people can see that the charger is down and not bother with it.

On the other hand, I read somewhere around here (possibly speculation, possibly based on a real conversation with someone at Tesla) that Tesla can compare button clicks on the charge handle (to open the charge port) with successful charging sessions. Superchargers and the cars are sophisticated enough to self-report errors, which might garner Tesla's attention more quickly than a stall that hasn't been used in a while, especially at stations with lower utilization.

So I'm torn on what to do. Toss the handle over the stall or let people figure it out on their own.

Reactions: rayluis1988
That's one way of doing it, and generally makes for a better end user experience since people can see that the charger is down and not bother with it.

On the other hand, I read somewhere around here (possibly speculation, possibly based on a real conversation with someone at Tesla) that Tesla can compare button clicks on the charge handle (to open the charge port) with successful charging sessions. Superchargers and the cars are sophisticated enough to self-report errors, which might garner Tesla's attention more quickly than a stall that hasn't been used in a while, especially at stations with lower utilization.

So I'm torn on what to do. Toss the handle over the stall or let people figure it out on their own.
It’s pretty simple to see multiple cars plugging into a stall and unsuccessfully charging, then moving to a new stall and charging successfully. No button math required. Enough cars do it and it triggers

I always toss it, I hate it when a charger doesn't work and I have to move, so I hope the guy before me would put the cable over the top if it was discovered as non-functional

I am not sure what the comments about the button push are, I never use the button to open the door, just lean on the car with my butt to open the flap. I do use the button to stop the charge and release the cable.

I guess that I am the outlier. I open the charge port from the touchscreen. Easier to do and also saves on some burnt flesh in summer when temps are hot if all I have to do is insert the plug. I also stop charging from the touchscreen and unlock the port to remove the plug.