Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Country Club Hills, IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the suggestion. That adds about 25-30 minutes to my trip but is the alternative I am considering if the Country Club location is potentially unsafe at night?

To xy46, I would still go to the Country Club Hills supercharger rather than go 25-30 miles out of the way. Last time I was there was Christmas day at night and there was a police car patrolling, he even stopped to ask me about the car, something which always makes me feel proud to own a Model S. This time it didn't feel unsafe at all, probably also because the Cineplex next door was full of cars. I would just stay in the car while it is charging, that's my only advice. It is super easy to get to an out of there as it is right next to all the expressways, you never have to drive through rough neighborhoods. Try it and let us know your thoughts. Good luck.

Nicoletta

I stopped in for a charge at country club hill at 10 in the morning a few weeks ago, and while I was the only car in the parking lot, did not feel unsafe. The chargers are out in the open, there is no way for someone to "sneak up" on them without being seen first. I went next door to mcdonalds and got a breakfast sandwich and coffee while my car charged, and was on way way without incident. It may be in an area that require a little bit of extra caution, but its not so bad as to go significantly out of your way to avoid it.

Reporting back on my stop at the Country Club Hills supercharger. Stopped in there around 11:30 am on Friday, January 2nd. There were two other Teslas charging when I arrived. It seemed very normal and safe - in fact, I was quite surprised as it seemed out of sync to some of the concerns listed here. I ended up talking to one of the other Tesla owners during my wait. He lives approximately 20 miles south of this location and charges here fairly frequently. He explained that during the warmer weather, you get more people walking about that look a little questionable and has been approached previously by someone trying to sell him drugs. He also mentioned that the Wal-Mart at that location has been robbed several times. He only tries to use the location during daylight hours and mentioned that he was surprised that Tesla chose that location due to safety concerns.

So, in summary - based on my first time use and the conversation with the local Tesla owner, I won't hesitate to return here when I travel that direction next time. I will probably try to avoid night time hours though if at all possible.

• Informative
Reactions: Takumi
thanks for the additional info xy46. Now I understand why when the weather was warmer I saw some parked cars without people getting out, and some cars driving by slowly, for no apparent reason. It's probable that corner of the parking lot is used for drug trading, as it's a little remote from the rest of the mall.

I agree with your feelings, during the day it's perfectly fine, but to be avoided at night.

I am a newbie. I took delivery of my model s June 10. I have used CChills supercharger about 8-10 times since I took delivery and without incident. It is close to my home. CChills is a predominantly African American suburb but relatively peaceful of late. If you are uncomfortable around black people you should avoid it. I am not. I will continue to use it and I am glad that Elon saw fit to locate the SC in CChills.

We were there on July 15, and while the area seemed a bit deserted, it didn't feel unsafe. The latest photo, dated July 26, on Plugshare for that SC shows a bunch of Teslas and a Tesla banner, so Tesla must have had some sort of event there.

We held our midwest Tesla gathering on that date; meeting up at the CCHills supercharger, we headed up to the Museum of Science and Industry, then headed up to Maxwell St. to eat.

Hit up the Jerk Chicken place there.
I've been here multiple times going down to Paducah. I've hit this place up at midnight with my 4 kids and wife and didnt feel like it was bad at all. Kids ran around in the parking lot.
The times during the day my kids running around people would wave at us.

This is my review of this SpC location based on our recent trip:

Location - not too hard to find off I-57 (3-4 minute drive), physically in the big parking lot of the Marcus Theatres.

Charging rate - very good. Followed the general rule of (125kW - battery SOC) rate.

Facilities - several stores and restaurants nearby. Panda Express and McDonald's are close by, and Applebee's and Sonic are a little further away (technically still in the same shopping center).

Overall - giving it 4 out of 5 stars for easy access off the freeway, good charging speed, and numerous food / shopping options. We arrived around 7PM and didn't feel particularly unsafe. This is on the south side of Chicago but the whole shopping center area seems decently safe.

This is not a safe area. An officer-involved shooting this week A man was being dragged to an ATM by two other men. Before this charger was built I contacted Tesla about placing the charger in Tinley Park at the Brookside Marketplace. This is conveniently located off Interstate 80 and Harlem. A lot more shopping and places to eat.
Police-involved shooting in Country Club Hills

Brookside Marketplace
7212 W 191st St, Tinley Park, IL 60487
(877) 225-5337
Brookside Marketplace - Google Search

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200