Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Craig, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: The first nine posts in this thread are a combination of posts from two threads, including posts attempting to consolidate discussion for this Supercharger into a single thread. We apologize for the confusion.

I got a surprise today. As we were rolling into Craig, there was a good size crew working on a new supercharger. I haven’t seen any sign of one in Steamboat, but this one is supposed to be operational in the next week or so.

Attachments

• 76B5583E-C9FC-405D-A5AE-B94CBDB6EA4B.jpeg
    76B5583E-C9FC-405D-A5AE-B94CBDB6EA4B.jpeg
    637.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited by a moderator:
I got a surprise today. As we were rolling into Craig, there was a good size crew working on a new supercharger. I haven’t seen any sign of one in Steamboat, but this one is supposed to be operational in the next week or so.
Please provide location and number of stalls (only the 6 pictured?) and one of us can start a new thread.

Nice find! That's a helpful location. From the Google streetview, address looks to be 700 E Victory Way and specific location is 40°30'51.0"N 107°32'20.7"W.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
This construction lends credence to the theory that Steamboat will be left out of the initial supercharger build out of this highway. I would expect Vernal, UT and probably Heber City, UT to also get superchargers. Vernal to SLC is just too big of a gap. The other possibility is that they go Dinosaur and Duchesne, but I believe these cities are quite a bit smaller. I also feel that Heber City provides a nice gap splitter between Nephi and Evanston, WY which would make it more useful.

I do also expect something like an urban supercharger in Park City, but assuming it goes in the city, that won't be close enough to the highway for through travel.

I was surprised and delighted to see this this morning as well. . . I'm just slower on the draw when it comes to getting online. :)
There was nothing there Thanksgiving weekend.
The gentlemen working mentioned that their work would be finished very early in the new year, but there will be a Charge-Point setup right near the 8 Tesla stalls.
They mentioned that biggest hold-up could likely be the transformer from Yampa Power. ( which is par for Supercharger progress )

Google Maps

5.jpg
6.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, this is pretty cool! Tesla seems to done pretty well with their Kum&Go partnership and this is the big "travel plaza" Kum&Go among the 3 in Craig... It also sounds like this answers the question of where the planned Craig CCS/CHAdeMO site will be (not that it matters much anymore to Tesla owners): Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Corridors | Colorado Energy Office

The exciting thing about getting superchargers on some of these non-interstate routes, is that it starts to open up all kinds of perpendicular travel options, rather than being strictly confined to the "routes." For example, you could travel US-40, or you could (say) go from Rawlins to Craig to Grand Junction. Exciting times!

This construction lends credence to the theory that Steamboat will be left out of the initial supercharger build out of this highway. I would expect Vernal, UT and probably Heber City, UT to also get superchargers. Vernal to SLC is just too big of a gap. The other possibility is that they go Dinosaur and Duchesne, but I believe these cities are quite a bit smaller. I also feel that Heber City provides a nice gap splitter between Nephi and Evanston, WY which would make it more useful.

I do also expect something like an urban supercharger in Park City, but assuming it goes in the city, that won't be close enough to the highway for through travel.

They won't do an urban in PC, too many people have homes to charge at. Also the majority of Teslas will come out of the SLC valley to ski, and it's literally downhill to go home after. BUT....as a compromise it might be Park City at the Jct of I-80 and 40. Although Heber City does make some sense, in the context of this new addition in Craig. Also it's the fork in the road to Provo Utah.

The mayor in Park City is a Tesla owner, he wants a supercharger in town also, but last time I spoke with him (a few months) he said he hasn't heard a peep out of Tesla regarding putting one in for almost a year.

I was surprised and delighted to see this this morning as well. . . I'm just slower on the draw when it comes to getting online. :)
There was nothing there Thanksgiving weekend.
The gentlemen working mentioned that their work would be finished very early in the new year, but there will be a Charge-Point setup right near the 8 Tesla stalls.
They mentioned that biggest hold-up could likely be the transformer from Yampa Power. ( which is par for Supercharger progress )

Google Maps

View attachment 620303 View attachment 620304
Do you know if the Charge Point is going to follow the same approach as Steamboat? The Kum n Go in Steamboat has a CCS/CHAdeMO that has been a lifesaver...and justified the CHAdeMO adapter.

Unfortunately I don’t know, and I didn’t press the crew since they mentioned trying to beat a snowstorm.
I wish now I had asked about Steamboat, or any other locations, but I imagine the partnership with Kum-n-Go will yield a similar ChargePoint setup.
I will surely poke around on my reverse “over-the-river-and-through-the-woods“ next week.

They won't do an urban in PC, too many people have homes to charge at. Also the majority of Teslas will come out of the SLC valley to ski, and it's literally downhill to go home after. BUT....as a compromise it might be Park City at the Jct of I-80 and 40. Although Heber City does make some sense, in the context of this new addition in Craig. Also it's the fork in the road to Provo Utah.

The mayor in Park City is a Tesla owner, he wants a supercharger in town also, but last time I spoke with him (a few months) he said he hasn't heard a peep out of Tesla regarding putting one in for almost a year.

Andy!!! He can get it done.

I would be curious about Dinosaur. CO Energy Department already placed their Chargepoint DCFC station there, to give people access to that national park. Montrose, and now Craig have been built with those DCFC partnerships. It would make sense to join up at Dinosaur. But I can definitely see those other towns get chargers as well. It’s interesting that the stations are in 8. I wonder if the rural stations would be able to get installed any faster if they used the urban 72kw chargers instead of a huge V3 station?

Reactions: evp and Utahken
If Tesla really is trying to build out 40 east/west, then the obvious locations are Heber City, Duchesne, & Vernal in Utah. There likely would be one needed in Colorado between Vernal and Craig, only to provide access south to Grand Jct, but I'm not so sure where it would be. Dinosaur seems likely due to it's access to 64.

Then. again, it's only 120 miles between Vernal and Craig, so they might not add one in the middle quite yet if they are just completing the E/W route on 40.

Regardless, seems like a smart move would be to stub in conduit and whatnot for 8 chargers, but only install 4 at the locations on this route for the time being. I can't imaging its a high traffic route.

/edit.
Vernal to Rock Springs WY is 109 miles.
Vernal to Heber City is 120 miles.
Vernal to Price is only 112 miles.
Vernal to Craig is only 120 miles.
Vernal seems almost 100% at this point if they can get permission from a lot owner & town. Maybe Duchesne UT isn't needed? (yet)

Last edited: