Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Craig, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Craig, CO

Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-40
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: CO-13

US-40

To: Kremmling, CO - 93.2 miles
Diversion: -0.1 miles
To: Idaho Springs, CO - 174.3 miles

To: Rawlings, WY (CO-13, I-80) - 121.3 miles
To: Poncha Springs, CO (US-40,CO-131,I-70,US-24,US-285) 202.9 miles
To: Glenwood Springs, CO (CO-13, I-70) - 117.9 miles
To: Montrose, CO (CO-13,I-70,CO-41,US-50,US-550) - 205.8 miles
To: Grand Junction, CO (CO-13, I-70) - 158 miles
To: Price, UT (US-40,US-191,US-6/US-191) - 232.6 miles
To: Nephi, UT (US-40,US-198,I-15) - 317.3 miles
To: Rock Springs, WY (CO-13, I-80) - 177.2 miles

Another Supercharger on US-40.

If Tesla really is trying to build out 40 east/west, then the obvious locations are Heber City, Duchesne, & Vernal in Utah. There likely would be one needed in Colorado between Vernal and Craig, only to provide access south to Grand Jct, but I'm not so sure where it would be. Dinosaur seems likely due to it's access to 64.

Then. again, it's only 120 miles between Vernal and Craig, so they might not add one in the middle quite yet if they are just completing the E/W route on 40.

Regardless, seems like a smart move would be to stub in conduit and whatnot for 8 chargers, but only install 4 at the locations on this route for the time being. I can't imaging its a high traffic route.

/edit.
Vernal to Rock Springs WY is 109 miles.
Vernal to Heber City is 120 miles.
Vernal to Price is only 112 miles.
Vernal to Craig is only 120 miles.
Vernal seems almost 100% at this point if they can get permission from a lot owner & town. Maybe Duchesne UT isn't needed? (yet)

There is currently already some other charging in Dinosaur, CO so I think they'll try to get charging added there. Realistically, that's the area in which they'll be coming in and out. Other than that, I think the 3 places you mentioned are the obvious places, both completing the route and being at intersections.

Reactions: Utahken
We might get some clue to Tesla's further intentions along US-40 if/when they update the "coming soon" locations on the web for the new year. Or maybe not - if I recall from last year, they didn't even bother to add many sites that were already under construction, and very few of the sites that were added last year have actually been built yet (Taos is the only Mountain/Southwest region site I recall being added to the map last new year).

Anyway, I'll place my bets for superchargers in Vernal and Heber City eventually. Despite the trend toward somewhat closer station spacing in recent years, Dinosaur is tiny (population 329) and has few options for siting (the CCS/CHAdeMO site was completed several months ago, and it's not in a location that really has space for a supercharger). Plus, slower speeds compared to interstates make the 120-130 mile gaps between chargers more easily bridged, even in lower range vehicles.

Reactions: ColoradoEV
Found four ChargePoint DC fast chargers under construction at the Kum & Go south of I-70 in Rifle. Looks complete except for the transformer.

K&G is definitely going in on the chargers so that’s a good sign for future expansion.
DB903D74-AED6-4098-B80A-57D8D8974332.jpeg
F4927458-11D8-4934-B77E-B155B5D7FEC6.jpeg
649672E2-72DB-46B2-A7C6-AE4B81F7EB77.jpeg

I went through Sunday around noon and didn't see a whole lot of change since the 22nd, so didn't take any new pics.
Weather may be holding things up.
Area looked kind of bundled up, no progress on the Chargepoint setup the crew mentioned on the 22nd.
No transformer as of then, and didn't see a crew or pallets of equipment.
I hope Yampa Valley Power isn't waiting on the Chargepoint installation to set a transformer.

WAAYY back in December 2013, the Grand Junction Super Charger was not as far along as Craig is now, and it went live on January 10th 2014, so there is always hope! :):)
Grand Junction, CO Supercharger

Cheyenne Wyoming was being built out at the same time, but because of a wait for a transformer, didn't come online until January 20th :(:(
Cheyenne, WY Supercharger

Tesla has learned SOOO much and streamlined the equipment/process since those heady "early adopter" days.
Thanks Elon et. al. for the continual improvement mind-set.

Kind Regards.

I tried to make it out to Craig this weekend to check on the progress, however the weather changed my mind. I drive an SR+ and didn't want to sit at a Level 2 for a while if the station wasn't online. I reached out to the Mayor's office to see if they had any indication.
Mayor's office mentioned that the CEO stalls have not been finished, and lumped both stations as one item. Mentioned it won't be on until it is all ready. Not sure if they knew the Tesla station can work independently of the CEO chargers. If we get warmer weather, I'll do another attempt next weekend.

I tried to make it out to Craig this weekend to check on the progress, however the weather changed my mind. I drive an SR+ and didn't want to sit at a Level 2 for a while if the station wasn't online. I reached out to the Mayor's office to see if they had any indication.
Mayor's office mentioned that the CEO stalls have not been finished, and lumped both stations as one item. Mentioned it won't be on until it is all ready. Not sure if they knew the Tesla station can work independently of the CEO chargers. If we get warmer weather, I'll do another attempt next weekend.
You'd probably get better info if you just called the Kum & Go directly and asked if the lights on the Tesla Superchargers were on.

Mayor's office mentioned that the CEO stalls have not been finished, and lumped both stations as one item. Mentioned it won't be on until it is all ready. Not sure if they knew the Tesla station can work independently of the CEO chargers.
In actuality, it depends greatly on the specifics of how the site work has been permitted and their electrical service and metering arrangements. If the two sets of chargers are both at the same Kum&Go location, it very well could be that both have to be fully complete before either one can be powered on even if there's no true physical requirement for this to be so.

Craig is open today.

I'd go visit it but I have a vaccine appointment in Gunnison.
We were going to take the S75D up yesterday or today to check on it but it was getting the MCU2 upgraded and it sounds like they no longer leave the fob in the car (at least in the Denver metro area;)) so we weren't able to pick it up after hours. Because of that, our trip got delayed. Might check it out next week...in all the snow!

@MarcoRP , I confirmed Craig, CO shows online with 8 stalls.
20210212_095233.jpg

Last edited:
We were going to take the S75D up yesterday or today to check on it but it was getting the MCU2 upgraded and it sounds like they no longer leave the fob in the car (at least in the Denver metro area;)) so we weren't able to pick it up after hours. Because of that, our trip got delayed. Might check it out next week...in all the snow!

@MarcoRP , I confirmed Craig, CO shows online with 8 stalls.
View attachment 636131
Craig opens just in time for five days of snow! Montrose was dry but Gunnison is still getting plowed out.

Road to Meeker and Craig looks fairly clear from my side of the mountains. Don't think I'd want to do it from the Front Range.