Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cranbrook, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly I'm driving by this week, but at least Invermere is done! That's 2 or 3 hours I'm not at the coffee shop. I have a 75D, wonder if I can go from Invermere to Idaho... might have to check for level 2 in cranbrook to top off. I really hope the US border guard is one of those idiots that asks why I went this route. I used to say because of chargers, now I'm like cuz the road is GONE. Funny thing they used to ask me what I did for a living, how do I support myself. Since I got the Tesla 5 years ago, never once have they asked! (My answer was I married well). I really shouldn't mess with them, one day that will go badly.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Sadly I'm driving by this week, but at least Invermere is done! That's 2 or 3 hours I'm not at the coffee shop. I have a 75D, wonder if I can go from Invermere to Idaho... might have to check for level 2 in cranbrook to top off. I really hope the US border guard is one of those idiots that asks why I went this route. I used to say because of chargers, now I'm like cuz the road is GONE. Funny thing they used to ask me what I did for a living, how do I support myself. Since I got the Tesla 5 years ago, never once have they asked! (My answer was I married well). I really shouldn't mess with them, one day that will go badly.
Better have your ArriveCan app installed and ready when crossing back over into Canada even for short trips. Seems like the the CBSA are the ones who are sticky and concerned about in getting fines lately.

I would not attempt Invermere to CDA in the winter in that car. Should be easy to get a top-off in Cranbrook though. Even an hour or two at an L2 charger should be enough if you are driving conservatively.

Looking forward to your update on the Cranbrook supercharger construction. Be sure to take pictures!

Looks very much done. Green Teansformer needs to still be installed Aswell as paving and wires run from the power pole. Looks like Tesla installed conduit and poured concrete for 2 more superchargers for future expansion
216CB608-0B39-480E-8CF7-927B819C736C.jpeg

Looks very much done. Green Teansformer needs to still be installed Aswell as paving and wires run from the power pole. Looks like Tesla installed conduit and poured concrete for 2 more superchargers for future expansion
View attachment 741200
Is it just me or does that supercharger on the right end look to be on the wrong side of the car? Like, mentally unless this image is reversed there is no way to get that charger to plug into a Tesla...

Is it just me or does that supercharger on the right end look to be on the wrong side of the car? Like, mentally unless this image is reversed there is no way to get that charger to plug into a Tesla...
Looks like a pretty standard drive-in charger for people towing a trailer. If you pull into the spot (instead of backing in) it's on the correct side (drivers side).

Better have your ArriveCan app installed and ready when crossing back over into Canada even for short trips. Seems like the the CBSA are the ones who are sticky and concerned about in getting fines lately.
Well just today they said if you have documentation you should get back accross. Not trusting that since they change their mind every couple days or so. We will update our ArriveCan app before we go, and get our tests and update before we come back. If I come back... Perhaps spring :D

Still no light
I actually didnt stop to look on the way down, I had other things to buy there. Stopped in Creston overnight got enough to limp to idaho sup;ercharger. Silly border is open 7am to 5pm (i think 5). Had a nice chat with the border guy. My wife has been buying boots and warm socks I warned her about the trip back. Was looking for a hotel on US side with level 2 no luck. Should have brought my 110 charger I guess. Grateful for Creston and their visitor center, been there for years to help me across. Guess not much hope for the supercharger to be turned on, government is probably on 2 weeks break.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!

I would not attempt Invermere to CDA in the winter in that car. Should be easy to get a top-off in Cranbrook though. Even an hour or two at an L2 charger should be enough if you are driving conservatively.

Looking forward to your update on the Cranbrook supercharger construction. Be sure to take pictures!
I didn't go by... coming back to Canada took me FIVE days. Tacoma got SNOW so they closed the testing stations, that was 2 days. Then we crossed the cascades because they weren't requiring chains for under 10,000 pound vehicles. (it then snowed about a foot so we got lucky, I don't have chains) Then we had to wait 2 days for the results, then Coeur d'Alene to Creston bc, (border guard was surprised and impressed that the Arrive can app was properly done (my wife)) then 2 hours charging in Creston, then a couple hours charging in cranbrook (then stayed overnight) lost 10 km overnight. Tried to charge at a L2 at a rest area, car was still cold soaked wouldn't take a charge, then charged at canal flats, before finally getting to invermere. Oh and no heat since Coeur d'Alene cept occasional heat seater. First time I have cold soaked the Tesla that it wouldn't take a charge. I have new rules for cold travel, whatever km i need double it, then do it some more. If Cranbrook was on, I still wouldn't have used heat til I got there... My next Tesla will be whatever the Long Range, AWD Y is at the time. Oh and if you don't like being around people without masks, stay home. Idaho was the worst, only staff at walmart were masked, my hotel nobody was wearing masks and one of the staff told me that she had had COVID and it was awful... I give up, not going back for a few years I guess. Stay safe everyone, Happy New Year! Never been so happy to get back to Canada!

I didn't go by... coming back to Canada took me FIVE days. Tacoma got SNOW so they closed the testing stations, that was 2 days. Then we crossed the cascades because they weren't requiring chains for under 10,000 pound vehicles. (it then snowed about a foot so we got lucky, I don't have chains) Then we had to wait 2 days for the results, then Coeur d'Alene to Creston bc, (border guard was surprised and impressed that the Arrive can app was properly done (my wife)) then 2 hours charging in Creston, then a couple hours charging in cranbrook (then stayed overnight) lost 10 km overnight. Tried to charge at a L2 at a rest area, car was still cold soaked wouldn't take a charge, then charged at canal flats, before finally getting to invermere. Oh and no heat since Coeur d'Alene cept occasional heat seater. First time I have cold soaked the Tesla that it wouldn't take a charge. I have new rules for cold travel, whatever km i need double it, then do it some more. If Cranbrook was on, I still wouldn't have used heat til I got there... My next Tesla will be whatever the Long Range, AWD Y is at the time. Oh and if you don't like being around people without masks, stay home. Idaho was the worst, only staff at walmart were masked, my hotel nobody was wearing masks and one of the staff told me that she had had COVID and it was awful... I give up, not going back for a few years I guess. Stay safe everyone, Happy New Year! Never been so happy to get back to Canada!
Sounds like a fun trip! :)

Totally ridiculous that you need a negative test just to enter your own country imo. Especially given the circumstance with the lack of testing in the US and especially WA given the recent weather.

My Christmas Eve turned out to be a super spreader event. I didn't have any symptoms but I wanted to get tested just to be safe. The at-home tests had been sold out since long before Christmas and all the public testing sites were closed due to the snow. They even permanently closed the site that I had been using (twice for my trips to Canada) "due to high demand" (no idea how that makes sense lol). Then a couple of the major public testing outfits said they were reserving tests for symptomatic people only. At that point it had been 5 days and I still had no symptoms so I gave up on getting a test.

And yeah, places like Idaho and Wyoming have been acting like the pandemic ended in 2020. Hell, some of those people think it was a hoax entirely. I remember being surprised driving across Canada that even bearded middle-aged guys with F[insert maple leaf]CK TRUDEAU bumper stickers on their trucks would still mask up when entering stores. That definitely isn't the case in most of the US, especially Middle America.

Any first-hand update on Cranbrook since Jan 3? Would really like to drive from Oregon to Fernie, but no Superchargers past Coeur d'Alene. Cranbrook would make my drive possible. Otherwise will have to take the ICE SUV.

Assuming you have a Chademo adapter ... you don't need a Supercharger to get to and stay at Fernie. At the Canadian Tire there is a new 50 kw DC Fast Charger provided by FLO. You can juice up there too. Fernie and Cranbrook are delayed due to the weather lately. Both are likely to be activated within 1-4 weeks though. Leave the ICE SUV at home, buy, borrow or rent a Chademo adapter and enjoy BC zero emission juice. :)

Reactions: outdoors
Assuming you have a Chademo adapter ... you don't need a Supercharger to get to and stay at Fernie. At the Canadian Tire there is a new 50 kw DC Fast Charger provided by FLO. You can juice up there too. Fernie and Cranbrook are delayed due to the weather lately. Both are likely to be activated within 1-4 weeks though. Leave the ICE SUV at home, buy, borrow or rent a Chademo adapter and enjoy BC zero emission juice. :)
Also it's only 216 miles from CDA to Fernie. Most Tesla models can make that, especially on such roads with low speed limits. Definitely look at Plugshare and see what is available. I haven't looked but there is most certainly somewhere to top off in Bonners Ferry and/or Cranbrook. Maybe stop at one of those places for a meal while you L2 charge a bit? And then yeah, like NSTM3 says, if you are in Fernie a while, you should be able to find some place to get a full charge whether it's Chademo or an overnight L2.