Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cranbrook, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also thought I would also respond about the DC chargers in our area.

I can shed some light on locations selected for the first wave of DC charger installations, along with the speeds chosen.

First to clarify, the new DC chargers from Tesla are not the first to be installed. There were many 25kWh and 50kWh stations installed back in 2017 and 2018. The area was “electrified” by an initiative called Accelerate Kootenays, using grant money provided by a variety of organizations.

User Quote_me and I are friends, and likely the first two electric car owners in the Cranbrook area (we also have a 2014 Nissan Leaf, our first EV). We were consulted by Accelerate Kootenays during the planning stages in 2017.

We both urged them to install a minimum of 50 kWh stations (and preferably 100kWh) to help future proof them. However instead they opted to install slower stations (mostly 25kWh and some 50kWh) to stretch their budget, as to allow for a larger number of total stations to be installed. Their rational was this, they were trying to open up the Kootenay's to allow low range EV's (like our Nissan Leaf) to be able to freely commute between major centres. With the assumption that Lv2 charging would be used at the destination.

This is why the stations were installed in smaller communities like Jaffray, Canal Flats, and in rest stops like Kidd Creek. They wanted to make it possible for low range EV's (like our Leaf) to be able to make the jump. Over time many of these stations have been upgraded to 50kwh, and other DC stations have been installed in the major communities as well.

But this is the reason for the seemingly odd locations for the first wave of fast chargers, along with their slower speeds. They were working with a limited amount of grant money, trying to open up at the area to allow EV’s to commute.

I hope this helps to explain.

It’s online! Only 16kw though, not sure why so slow. It doesn’t show up on map yet

09FCAF20-FF78-4943-808D-A475E35D15C5.jpeg

Sorry for my ramble. I’m excited for this charger to come online but I’m less excited about the 3-4x price increase at super chargers
It's unethical at best, Elon said it was never to be a money maker. Now if he wanted to charge a Mustang triple fine, and dem leafs and others.
All he did was ensure I will never trade in my Tesla. Free supercharging for life. In fact, I may have to go on a diet, eat healthier and exercise Just so I can live longer and use free electricity. He will of course continue to make money on me. My brakes after 140,000 km are going to cost me $2400 next week, and I put in a brand new hepa filter in my 2016 refreshed S (gotta deal with that smoke this year somehow) and all weather floor matts because they keep riding up under my pedals like that woman who got fired from Tesla for insisting it needed fixing. But hey I could have just sold it if I didn't like it. Oh and the computer whatever replaced under recall. I may consider the new computer later, so I can watch netflix when supercharging. So my total bill around $4300, so much cheaper than new. (We almost bought a standard Y last year to add to our Tesla family, now I wish we had due to all the price hikes. Oops)
Interesting note, got a loaner Model S 90D, it has less range when full than my 75D with more KM because I take care of it.

Lastly, SO glad this charger is done, I froze my buttocks off last winter on L2 chargers, now I should be able to make it to the charger in Idaho, in summer at least!

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
63557D48-D543-46D5-96F1-F68B2955CF44.jpeg

Pulled in with 32 % after driving for 12 hours already. It told me to precondition but of course I couldn’t. I got a pretty good speed though. This dropped off to 85kw after I hit 44% so I’m assuming the preconditioning would help in this case. Hopefully it’s on the map soon

For anyone passing through, it’s between Boston pizza and Tim Hortons in the Canadian tire parking lot. Good spot for getting everything you need while passing through

Reactions: mociaf9 and IdaX
Hey all, I’m planning an officially unofficial supercharger Opening party on Saturday May 7th, at 1pm and any and all will be invited. Im planning to have test drives and invite the local media aswell as dealerships who have EV’s. If you have anymore questions you can either text or call me at 778-871-1783 or join our club, “Kootenay Electric Vehicles” on facebook https://m.facebook.com/groups/739108713583179/
Here’s our meetup at the same location last year!
5B2108EC-6DBD-4899-8815-FF152E47A6F2.jpeg

Hey all, I’m planning an officially unofficial supercharger Opening party on Saturday May 7th, at 1pm and any and all will be invited. Im planning to have test drives and invite the local media aswell as dealerships who have EV’s. If you have anymore questions you can either text or call me at 778-871-1783 or join our club, “Kootenay Electric Vehicles” on facebook https://m.facebook.com/groups/739108713583179/
Here’s our meetup at the same location last year!
View attachment 797154

Awesome! Good on you for promoting EV's in the area.

This year's meetup: "now with supercharger!" :)

Reactions: Artful Dodger
Cranbrook to lethbridge is 100% doable as I did it

I will be heading back to lower mainland in a couple weeks and I plan on hitting the cranbrook one, then invermere and then up to golden and on my way. With east of golden closed, this is will be a wonderful drive that saves me some time..I think

I have notice that cranbrook is now showing on the maps, so people can precondition now. I think Lethbridge to cranbrook is doable at 310kms , however cranbrook to osoyoos is not at 445kms
Still better to drive (slowly) straight to Osoyoos and top off at some L2 along the way as long as you have a long range model. Driving around through Revelstoke adds like 4 hours.

Cranbrook to lethbridge is 100% doable as I did it

I will be heading back to lower mainland in a couple weeks and I plan on hitting the cranbrook one, then invermere and then up to golden and on my way. With east of golden closed, this is will be a wonderful drive that saves me some time..I think
Im heading to Chilliwack, I never thought about going that way, will look into that. I dont like going thru Calgary as Lethbridge to canmore is cutting it close, and charging in north Calgary is a pain in the butt and a time waster

Im heading to Chilliwack, I never thought about going that way, will look into that. I dont like going thru Calgary as Lethbridge to canmore is cutting it close, and charging in north Calgary is a pain in the butt and a time waster
You sound like you’re from lethbridge haha. Yeah once cranbrook opened it made it possible. My car said I could make it to osoyoos from cranbrook if I stayed under 110km/and charged all the way. I personally will probably wait for creston to open before I go out the whole crowsnest

You sound like you’re from lethbridge haha. Yeah once cranbrook opened it made it possible. My car said I could make it to osoyoos from cranbrook if I stayed under 110km/and charged all the way. I personally will probably wait for creston to open before I go out the whole crowsnest
Actually from Chilliwack, just bought a house in Lethbridge as its half the price and less taxes in alberta, i have to go back to the valley for a week every month to deal with family and business, goal in 2 years is to be here full time. Love it here