Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Crescent City, CA (6 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A theory on the convex mirror: It looks high enough to be seen over the roofs of cars parked between you and the enclosure. These appear to be, and have been previously described as, angled nose-in stalls. Your backup camera will be useful when backing out after charging, especially since your camera will be angled toward the traffic coming up the aisle from the "correct" direction. But that will also make it more difficult to see vehicles coming down the aisle from the "incorrect" direction, which we all know never happens in parking lots, right? I think the mirror on the enclosure may be intended to provide you the opportunity for some warning regarding "less expected" traffic coming from the opposite end. If that is correct, I have to say I appreciate the diligence and "belt and suspenders" approach of the designer.

Of course, it could also be a cunningly disguised mind control antenna.;)

Any other (independent) thoughts?

My mother-in-law should be taking some more pics for us tomorrow or the next day, but in the meantime she directed me to an article in the local paper from this past Saturday.

Tesla charging stations installed

Most notable quote:
“Six Tesla stations are installed and will be ready to open by the end of next week”, said Tesla Motors Field Superintendent Curtis Haack.

Since this was published on Saturday, I assume 'end of next week' means this coming weekend! Are any of you semi-locals planning a get-together after it opens? I would love to let the in-laws know about it if there is going to be a show & tell.

Reactions: otter and EVie'sDad
My mother-in-law should be taking some more pics for us tomorrow or the next day, but in the meantime she directed me to an article in the local paper from this past Saturday.

Most notable quote:
“Six Tesla stations are installed and will be ready to open by the end of next week”, said Tesla Motors Field Superintendent Curtis Haack.

Since this was published on Saturday, I assume 'end of next week' means this coming weekend! Are any of you semi-locals planning a get-together after it opens? I would love to let the in-laws know about it if there is going to be a show & tell.

We are headed from Medford to Eureka this coming Sunday. Maybe we will get lucky and these will be functional and able to charge our X.

Most notable quote:

We are headed from Medford to Eureka this coming Sunday. Maybe we will get lucky and these will be functional and able to charge our X.
The quote changed in the local paper. It now says the superchargers will be open by Sept 6th.

Fresh from my mother-in-law, for your viewing enjoyment:

Resized_20160909_120350.jpeg

Resized_20160909_120359.jpeg

Resized_20160909_120415.jpeg

Just drove the entire Oregon coast using only Superchargers in a new Model S 90D. With Bandon not open yet, and having little experience driving the car, I was a little nervous about the 256 mile stretch from Lincoln City to Crescent City, but we made it with 50 miles to spare.

We didn't use A/C or heat the whole way which wasn't too bad since the outside temp hovered around 60F the whole way. The first half of the trip, I was driving 50mph or less (so going 5mph under the speed limit for long stretches), but once it became obvious we would make it, I went ahead and drove my usual 5pm over the speed limit at all times (so up to 60mph). Without using climate control, the windows fogged up a bit on occasion. In those cases, I would crack the sunroof for a minute or, if driving at slow speeds in a town, I would open one of the windows and the windows would clear up right away.

One interesting thing is that the Navigation did not recognize the Crescent City Supercharger at first, and then when I tried to simply navigate to Crescent City, it kept wanting to send me back to I-5 for the "safer route" (using Superchargers in Springfield and Grants Pass. But then once we got about half way and still had plenty of range, the Nav would send us down the coast to Crescent City and eventually when we got very close to CC, it did give us directions to the new Supercharger.

Just drove the entire Oregon coast using only Superchargers in a new Model S 90D. With Bandon not open yet, and having little experience driving the car, I was a little nervous about the 256 mile stretch from Lincoln City to Crescent City, but we made it with 50 miles to spare.

We didn't use A/C or heat the whole way which wasn't too bad since the outside temp hovered around 60F the whole way. The first half of the trip, I was driving 50mph or less (so going 5mph under the speed limit for long stretches), but once it became obvious we would make it, I went ahead and drove my usual 5pm over the speed limit at all times (so up to 60mph). Without using climate control, the windows fogged up a bit on occasion. In those cases, I would crack the sunroof for a minute or, if driving at slow speeds in a town, I would open one of the windows and the windows would clear up right away.

One interesting thing is that the Navigation did not recognize the Crescent City Supercharger at first, and then when I tried to simply navigate to Crescent City, it kept wanting to send me back to I-5 for the "safer route" (using Superchargers in Springfield and Grants Pass. But then once we got about half way and still had plenty of range, the Nav would send us down the coast to Crescent City and eventually when we got very close to CC, it did give us directions to the new Supercharger.

Interesting you mention that, way back in January we had a similar issue with Mohave not being recognized on the map, wanted to redirect to Tejon Ranch and demanded redirection, then slow down, then warning return no longer possible, plug in to local destination charger, and then....just as we crested the valley to into mojave, 10 miles from the SC, the map loaded the update and then "found" the SC just minutes away. That was a slightly nervewracking experience, but we were confident it was open (called the hotline to confirm) and made with about 10 percent to spare.

We reported the incident to Tesla, but sadly it looks as if newer chargers still aren't being downloaded into vehicles maps that may be within range of travelling to that location in say, the next 24 hours?...

EVTrip planner EV Trip Planner definitely helped to plan that trip, as well as several others I have made, being able to easily reach each next SC with 90 percent full battery (S85D).