Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Crescent City, CA (6 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, all. I'm new here. :) I am also in Vegas (but it's because I live here). I used to live in Crescent City and my in-laws still do, and I asked them to take a look every so often and send some pics if anything happens. My mom-in-law says nothing's going on yet.

No word, and i just spoke with a city engineer from Eureka tonight and they haven't heard back from Tesla about the Eureka location. His cousin has an S and drove up from Atlanta so he understands the need for the Superchargers. pretty cool
ISTM Crescent City and Eureka make no sense without first doing the SCs to the south of them, north of Petaluma. It's not as if there isn't lots of scenic (if often fog- or rain-shrouded) coastline lined with quaint B&Bs and historic hotels in Oregon, so I don't see a lot of Oregonians heading down to California for that. I'd think they need to build north from Petaluma, not south from Grant's Pass.

ISTM Crescent City and Eureka make no sense without first doing the SCs to the south of them, north of Petaluma. It's not as if there isn't lots of scenic (if often fog- or rain-shrouded) coastline lined with quaint B&Bs and historic hotels in Oregon, so I don't see a lot of Oregonians heading down to California for that. I'd think they need to build north from Petaluma, not south from Grant's Pass.

hmm, not sure I get that? I think Eureka makes the most sense since you can do Petaluma-Eureka (barely) and Eureka-Grants pass is no problem. Willits is needed more than CC but Eureka is also needed more than CC if you come over 299 or 36 from I-5. There are tons of Oregon plates around here all year and way more in the summer, it is mostly sunny and beautiful May - October for the past 10 years.

hmm, not sure I get that? I think Eureka makes the most sense since you can do Petaluma-Eureka (barely) and Eureka-Grants pass is no problem. Willits is needed more than CC but Eureka is also needed more than CC if you come over 299 or 36 from I-5. There are tons of Oregon plates around here all year and way more in the summer, it is mostly sunny and beautiful May - October for the past 10 years.
I think we're in agreement that Willits (or maybe Laytonville; better spacing but poorer connections. Leggett's a bit far) and Eureka (my vote would be for Arcata at the 299 junction) are needed before CC. Alternatively, if you were to put 3 in between Petaluma and CC before CC, you could have one around Garberville/Redway, and move Willits down to Calpella. That would give you spacing of about 84, 84, 77 and 75 miles.

BTW, if it's been mostly sunny May-October for the past decade, I guess AGCC is showing up early there, or maybe Crescent City's weather is better than Eureka and points south, but that seems unlikely.:wink: It used to be from about Big Sur northward, summer was one giant fog/low cloud/drizzle/wind season. Winter at Point Reyes was nice anytime it wasn't raining, but summer was depressing.

I think we're in agreement that Willits (or maybe Laytonville; better spacing but poorer connections. Leggett's a bit far) and Eureka (my vote would be for Arcata at the 299 junction) are needed before CC. Alternatively, if you were to put 3 in between Petaluma and CC before CC, you could have one around Garberville/Redway, and move Willits down to Calpella. That would give you spacing of about 84, 84, 77 and 75 miles.

Here is a screen grab from http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/images/supercharger/maps/2015-northamerica.jpg (the base map used in the Tesla Supercharger Page for the 2015 display. I have enlarged it for better clarity.

CA-2015.jpg

Compare that to Google Maps - Crescent City to Petaluma. It seems pretty obvious that the plans on this map are for Crescent City, Eureka, Willits, and Petaluma, at distances of 84, 134, and 98 miles. This looks like a reasonable plan to me.

Last edited:

If they're to only do one to serve both 101 and 1, I'd say Leggett or Garberville. If there are to be more, where, exactly, matters less. Garberville is one of the most expensive places to buy gas I've been in the US, but it's lovely country and like going there.

The entire coast highway, from Forks to San Diego, should be on every enthusiasts bucket list. My ranking: #1 Big Sur, #2 Mendocino and #3 Oregon near Coos Bay. Not all of it warrants multiple trips, but an amazing amount does.

-Snortybartfast

I'm up in Crescent City on vacation this week, so I went over to the future supercharger location and took a few pics. No activity at all, so these can serve as the 'before' pics. :)

DSC07704.JPG

The plans indicate that the major equipment will be placed in the (brown) grassy area at left, and the chargers placed in the median between the two rows of parking spaces, for use by the far row.

DSC07703.JPG

So the equipment is supposed to fill up the unpaved space in the foreground, plus maybe the closest parking spot. The chargers would be in the median between the rows, with designated spaces on the left starting where the red truck is parked.

DSC07701.JPG

There is drainage at the end of each row of parking spaces, so they may have a bit of complication to the underground wiring work.

DSC07702.JPG

View from immediately across the street. This is K Street, and I'm facing southwest (the street grid is not directly north-south). Off camera to the left about 200 feet is the end of K Street at Front Street; across Front St. is the Visitor Center/Chamber of Commerce/Cultural Center building.

Across K Street from this parking area, directly behind camera from the photo above, is the headquarters building and small visitor center for Redwood National Park:
DSC07700.JPG

Here's hoping they start soon!

Last edited:
Oh yes, there is plenty around. But this parking area isn't right on the main highway even though it's close. There is a well-reviewed Mexican restaurant (Cristina's) in one of the buildings right next to the parking lot - it just isn't signed in a way that shows up in the photos. At the far end of the parking lot next to the library is a little open plaza area and open walkways to adjacent streets, so you could go over to 3rd street to Tomasini's Enoteca.

In the other direction (east towards the Redwood National Park building) it's only 1 block to 101 South (L Street), then 1 more block to 101 North (M Street). The lot is next to Front Street, and if you head east towards 101 on Front St. there is Vita Cucina at Front & M Sts. which has coffee, gourmet bakery/breakfast/pizza etc. and 101 Hawaiian BBQ next door. These are very small city blocks, by the way - square and just 300 feet on center I think. Two city blocks in Crescent City is a shorter distance than you might walk across a Costco parking lot on a busy day!

Supercharger to Vita Cucina and 101 Hawaiian BBQ is probably 600 feet. The Safeway and nearby fast food is on 101 North, so maybe 1000 feet - you'd go east on 2nd (right under the Redwood NP building) for two blocks, then north a block. There's Little Caesars before you get there, then McDonald's, Taco Bell, a Chinese restaurant, etc. The closest stand-alone coffee place is Dutch Brothers at 6th and 101 South, which is about 1400 feet - you'd pass a taco shop, Wild Rivers Market and Denny's on the way.

So, although it may seem like a bit of a walk to this stuff because of buildings and streets, it's just because the blocks are very small. I have a feeling that Vita Cucina is going to become very familiar with Telsa drivers. :) This is a pretty excellent spot for all kinds really, as food is not all that far away, and people who don't want coffee or food also have the visitor info right across Front St., and next to that a playground where people with kids can let them get moving for a bit, in a park that is right next to the bay.

Last edited: