Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Crescent City, CA (6 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pretty much always route directly to my next supercharger because trip planner kind of sucks for multiple charger trips...at last for me. I'm also far more comfortable than my car drawing down capacity....

Unless the map has no record of the SC location....that is when we get into such scenarios. Although I consider it rare, having only occurred on 1 SC out of 16 I have visited. Slowing down is always a good practice if you are on the cusp of not being able to reach the next destination, and I always keep a reserve of 20-30 miles buffer just in case I get turned around or lost or miscalculated on the planned range. So far I have never run out of juice in a year of driving my Model S.

I took a drive up to Crescent City last week to check on hwy 101 and the slip outs south of Crescent City in preparation for towing our trailer to Oregon. I counted six active slides which Caltrans crews were working on. I also wanted to see the Crescent City supercharger, and it worked just fine. It is not trailer friendly in that we will have to pull the X in front of the chargers, probably blocking 4 of them (out of 6) to charge without unhitching, but there is also room in the parking lot to unhitch if necessary.
There is a bathroom just across the street on the north side of the Redwood National Park visitors building should you need one. Grocery Outlet is a block away, and Denny's is two blocks away (good omelets). I'm glad this charger is here.

I took a drive up to Crescent City last week to check on hwy 101 and the slip outs south of Crescent City in preparation for towing our trailer to Oregon. I counted six active slides which Caltrans crews were working on. I also wanted to see the Crescent City supercharger, and it worked just fine. It is not trailer friendly in that we will have to pull the X in front of the chargers, probably blocking 4 of them (out of 6) to charge without unhitching, but there is also room in the parking lot to unhitch if necessary.
There is a bathroom just across the street on the north side of the Redwood National Park visitors building should you need one. Grocery Outlet is a block away, and Denny's is two blocks away (good omelets). I'm glad this charger is here.
I've had the pleasure of using this charger a couple of times. I was the only car there. There's a decent chance that your blocking some of the stalls won't be an issue (this spring, anyway). The restroom across the street was locked after hours, but as you noted, there are plenty of non-foliage-dependent alternatives within a few blocks. And lots of pleasant open space for walking the dog.

Your post is a good reminder for me to charge at least four stalls away from the equipment enclosure, whenever posssible, to avoid forcing trailer folks to trap me while I'm away from the car.;) You've probably already considered a card with your mobile number to leave for the folks who are away from their Teslas. Over the last year, I've been posting a bilingual placard in my MS to reassure folks that I'm not roasting my dog when I leave her in the car. I include my mobile number. No trouble with unwanted calls so far.

At least Bandon and Seaside are pull-throughs. Have a great trip!

Reactions: JimVandegriff
I've had the pleasure of using this charger a couple of times. I was the only car there. There's a decent chance that your blocking some of the stalls won't be an issue (this spring, anyway). The restroom across the street was locked after hours, but as you noted, there are plenty of non-foliage-dependent alternatives within a few blocks. And lots of pleasant open space for walking the dog.

Your post is a good reminder for me to charge at least four stalls away from the equipment enclosure, whenever posssible, to avoid forcing trailer folks to trap me while I'm away from the car.;) You've probably already considered a card with your mobile number to leave for the folks who are away from their Teslas. Over the last year, I've been posting a bilingual placard in my MS to reassure folks that I'm not roasting my dog when I leave her in the car. I include my mobile number. No trouble with unwanted calls so far.

At least Bandon and Seaside are pull-throughs. Have a great trip!
This trip will be much easier than our previous jaunt up the coast with the additions of the Crescent City, CA and Bandon, OR superchargers in addition to Lincoln City and Seaside superchargers.
We don't leave our Tesla and trailer unattended when charging. If we don't unhitch, we make sure at least one of us stays with the vehicles to make certain no other drivers are inconvenienced. All in all we have had great luck with charging, but are going to be interested to see how the continued growth of the Tesla using population will impact the supercharging scene.
We love going up the Oregon coast to reach our daughter who lives in St. Helens, OR.
Have you made it further down the coast using Eureka, Ukiah, etc?

I salute your conscientous courtesy, sir! To answer your question, we've been all the way down to San Diego twice. Last winter we used I-5 until reaching the Bay area. This winter we used 101 both ways- great to have a scenic and snow-free escape route. Stayed in Trinidad and ate at Larrupin Cafe both ways. Love those lamb chops! Also on the subject of food: We particularly recommend the Japanese comfort food at Oco Time in Ukiah, two blocks from the supercharger.

I love Oco time!
Chop Chop is also really good
and Saucy has good beer and wood fired pizza & sandiches...mmm
love my Ukiah stops

Crescent city - the Enoteca has pretty good stuff & Vita Cucina is a pretty yummy bakery with different stuff daily
Thai House isn't bad for north coast thai (& pretty sure no MSG) & Hawaiin BBQ isn't bad, some stuff might be a bit sweet depending on what you get.

I love Oco time!
love my Ukiah stops

Crescent city - the Enoteca has pretty good stuff & Vita Cucina is a pretty yummy bakery with different stuff daily
Thai House isn't bad for north coast thai (& pretty sure no MSG) & Hawaiin BBQ isn't bad, some stuff might be a bit sweet depending on what you get.
Thanks for the culinary recon!

I salute your conscientous courtesy, sir! To answer your question, we've been all the way down to San Diego twice. Last winter we used I-5 until reaching the Bay area. This winter we used 101 both ways- great to have a scenic and snow-free escape route. Stayed in Trinidad and ate at Larrupin Cafe both ways. Love those lamb chops! Also on the subject of food: We particularly recommend the Japanese comfort food at Oco Time in Ukiah, two blocks from the supercharger.
We stop at Oco Time whenever we are in Ukiah! (Also like the bakery and deli a block over, Schat's). Good choice in Larrupin's. We ate there a week or so ago. Looking forward to our Oregon trip (after getting our trailer wheel bearings serviced today.) Jim

I love Oco time!
love my Ukiah stops

Thanks for the food updates, too. Will use next time we are in either locale. Jim

In case you are traveling south from Oregon into California after passing through Crescent City, you might want to check with the dept of transportation website (Division of Traffic Operations - Road Information - California Highway Information) because of the numerous slides just south of Crescent City. As I write this, highway 101 is closed in both directions due to a mudslide south of Crescent City.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
In case you are traveling south from Oregon into California after passing through Crescent City, you might want to check with the dept of transportation website (Division of Traffic Operations - Road Information - California Highway Information) because of the numerous slides just south of Crescent City. As I write this, highway 101 is closed in both directions due to a mudslide south of Crescent City.

Yes, the entire state is a mess. Highway 1 south of Carmel near Big Sur is closed because a bridge is out, and there is no scheduled time for reopening. There are many other locations around the state where highways are closed or down to one-lane controlled traffic. Some have reasonable detours; others have much longer detours and are only open to residents.

So, anyone planning a nice road trip in and around California ought to consult CalTrans' road conditions web page. You can choose to obtain the information by individual highway, or you can get the entire listing of all highways with closures, lane reductions, etc.

In case you are traveling south from Oregon into California after passing through Crescent City, .....
I ran up to Crescent City on Friday afternoon to Home depot and got stuck at Last Chance Grade by a few minutes. Pretty small slide and not the part we are really concerned about, it came from above the road. Our poor RE was out there since morning and stayed until 5am the next morning working on the slide! another ca page for your car - QuickMap
Ate at Christina's (mexican). not sure how they have such a high rating? very plain. drank beer at Seaquake while waiting for the road to open. food all looks really tasty. beer was decent, not the best but not bad. porter was way too hoppy though. if you like IPA then the beer is pretty good, a few singles and a double