Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Crowding?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if this is correct but I noticed that at the Hawthorne supercharger, the last time I stopped on the way back from a road trip, even though all 6 stalls were full, I was able to charge at or near 120 kW. I'm not sure if each pedestal at Hawthorne is only linked to one supercharger but I was definitely surprised to be charging at the faster rate since I figured I'd be sharing with another pedestal for one supercharger. Perhaps, Hawthorne has one supercharger per pedestal, or perhaps the supercharger has updated software and is able to more dynamically balance the charging (although if this is the case, the other car must have not been charging because I was getting the max I would expect).

I agree that the Tesla mobile app needs to be updated to have similar capabilities to what ChargePoint and other apps provide. It should have more than those but at minimum it should allow us to see the degree of occupancy of a Supercharger location. Charging status for neighboring cars and a way to contact the owner would obviously take things to the next level. This is all data available to Tesla, now it just has to be implemented.

IMO Hawthorne is where the first battery-swapping station should be. I would think eventually as all superchargers get crowded (gen III time frame), if there was a yearly subscription fee (as opposed to per-usage), that we'd just end up doing this battery swapping instead as it will be much faster. It def shouldn't be free. I don't want to go as far as saying we'd be "renting" our batteries. I think we still purchase them and include the cost of them as part of the car, but the yearly subscription fee should cover the cost of effectively battery swapping *without* needing to return to get your original battery pack back. Of course Tesla would have to have some system of validating/verifying/guaranteeing that the battery we swap with is same size and "equivalent in usage". (also should be able to upgrade battery pack size and pay for difference too). Food for thought.

No swap stations are going to be built. Six months have transpired since Tesla's big demo, yet nothing. Compare that to the number of new superchargers that have been constructed in the same period of time. Tesla clearly does not have a desire to build swap stations because, in the last six months, they have done nothing. Six months is forever in Tesla time. Even if they did do it, the economics make no sense to me. Who would pay $50-$80 for the ability to drive 265 rated miles? And then what... swap again for another $50-$80 or wait at a supercharger to get a charge. While the demo was cool and flashy, I just don't see anyone utilizing this service. As it stands, most Model S owners utilize superchargers once per month on average according to a poll in the forums. The subset of those who would be willing to pay for a pack swap is much smaller.

I travel SF/LA/SF on 5 south and 101 north. These trips are generally twice a month. In the past six months, I've never waited at Harris Ranch, Tejon, Buelton, Atascadero or Gilroy. Often there are no other Teslas present. Seems like at these locations over-crowding is a long way away.

I travel SF/LA/SF on 5 south and 101 north. These trips are generally twice a month. In the past six months, I've never waited at Harris Ranch, Tejon, Buelton, Atascadero or Gilroy. Often there are no other Teslas present. Seems like at these locations over-crowding is a long way away.
I suspect that demand is very peaky. I also suspect that Tesla knows ahead of time when there is likely to be congestion at a specific location.

By simply making this information available to owners at sites where stalls frequently fill up ahead of time, perhaps enough people could alter their trip plans to avoid periods of time when a location is likely to be congested if they are able.

No swap stations are going to be built. Six months have transpired since Tesla's big demo, yet nothing.

Swapping is a lot more complicated than SC; my guess is they're doing a lot of testing and time spent working out the details of a consumption model. Such a 'program' may also affect sales of higher margin models, so there is no motivation to move aggressively while sales on the 85's are still high. I expect two 'beta' swap stations will be open by this time next year.

Last edited:
Say every bay is filled as you arrive. Ideally you would Stand (double-parked) in the specially marked 'On Deck' circle and get the next available charger. Lacking that, what protocols have developed (I'm very new to this game). Don't want the Soup Nazi to get upset. :rolleyes:
--

Last edited:
Let's not over complicate this. For any given SC location TM currently knows how many stalls are in use. TM also knows which cars are currently charging. And lastly, it knows which cars are finished charging and have not been moved. A simple push text ("Your charging is complete and your spot is needed.") to the last group would handle it.

I agree and like the idea. But I think you are assuming that all owners have SMS data plans enabled on their phones. I do but don't assume that all owners do. That is not currently a pre-requisite to SC usage or ownership AFAIK.

A variety of methods to cover most owners could be implemented including push notifications through the mobile app, email, automated phone call, etc. I suppose there may be a few owners out there without a cell phone. I imagine those are few.

Weird. You would think that people would be better behaved, simply because they don't want the same thing to happen to THEM.

If that was true, there would be no thefts, fights, or wars in the world. At all. Ah, the thought...

- - - Updated - - -

It would probably help if the MS could send you a text/notification when it completed charging, like some other EV's. Someday.

My single biggest gripe with the Model S mobile app. Heck, even ChargePoint does that.

Why not add a sort of traffic control function to Tesla Customer Service?

Some sort of computer program will alert the personal at Tesla Customer Service that a SC is full. The same program will also alert all cars that could be inbound to that SC that the SC is full. The owners in the cars can then choose to communicate through their cars to Tesla Customer service if they intend to also use that SC by simply clicking on a button that has appeared on their in car Google maps 17-inch screen marked with say “I also want to use the SC at X”. Then Tesla Costumer Service will be alerted to the situation and will start to monitor that SC location. Once one more car reaches that SC location and therefore is effectively waiting to charge, AND if a car connected to one of the SC bays becomes fully charged and therefore is just sitting in a SC bay not charging, then they can see if there is a mobile device with an app connected to that fully charged car nearby. Then that would probably be the driver of that car. THEN, they can just give that driver a call informing them that all the SC bays are full, their car has finished charging, and there are other owners in a queue waiting for a charge.

I think this is a very reasonable proposal and suspect that Tesla is already thinking about it, given that in a few years they will be making hundreds of thousands of cars and the SCs will be very busy. A system like the one described would make good business sense since it could result in the SCs being used more efficiently and that would save Tesla money since they would not have to build as many additional SCs.

I am sure that Tesla will figure out how to scale up the SCs, and keep their customers satisfied, as they scale up production.

Who would pay $50-$80 for the ability to drive 265 rated miles? And then what... swap again for another $50-$80 or wait at a supercharger to get a charge. While the demo was cool and flashy, I just don't see anyone utilizing this service.
120 kW charging between the two swaps? And maybe a little prayer that Tesla will lose your original obsolete pack?