Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Culver City, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah. That makes sense. Still, it is interesting that so many people are charging there at 7am. I only use a SC when I am traveling. I would assume that these are locals, as travelers would have had to have left from somewhere else really early, like 5:00 AM.

Agreed. Leaving a car in CC overnight would not be smart. I do not like that mall or the crowds that frequent it.

3 of them were TeslaLoop. I forgot to mention the part of the man urinating in public right beside one of the charging stalls.

Oh and I went to Starbucks. Stayed for an hour. Came back and the same cars were still parked there. Draw your own conclusions.

Just saying at that time of morning it was concerning.

Where there other folk hanging at Starbucks that could have been owners?
Regardless, this SC is one to stay far away from for the next two weeks. With holiday traffic, it could take you 30 minutes just to reach a stall.

Often when I travel south or north, I leave very early to navigate traffic patterns. 5am or earlier is not uncommon for me in order to reach my La Jolla office before the morning crush. Thus my curiosity of the 'overnighters'.......I may be viewed as the next vagrant at your SD SC. :eek:

Often when I travel south or north, I leave very early to navigate traffic patterns. 5am or earlier is not uncommon for me in order to reach my La Jolla office before the morning crush. Thus my curiosity of the 'overnighters'.......I may be viewed as the next vagrant at your SD SC. :eek:

Doubt it. You can normally tell the difference between early commuters and overnights.

Oh and I've seen the lot full close to midnight in SD on some busy weekends so plan accordingly.

Driving like a bat outta hell today :rolleyes: and enjoying every mile to/from San Diego BUT could not make a RT home without a stop. Coasted into CC, full up surprise, and waited ~15 mins for a 15 Min charge to get home. However, construction afoot - SC expansion in progress.

IMG_1214.JPG

Yes, indeed They are expanding the Culver City supercharger, adding 4-more plugs for a total of 16. Plan to be live by memorial day. And today when I stopped by, they had taken 4-plugs off-line for general repairs including replacing a charger cable. BE AWARE the in the car app IS INACURATE, not representing that one plug is inaccessible, blocked by construction equipment/fencing. Good times!

• Informative
Reactions: AEdennis
I expressed that concern too and today and back when the site was first constructed I was told the Westfield management did not want to give up general public parking spaces. Seems lame with thousands of spots.
That was actually my assumption. During the holidays, it is absolute mayhem at this lot. So, make them shared spaces. Too late for that I guess.

I checked with the facility, they have 4,000 parking spaces! Surely they can give up 10-more! A station with 26 plugs would be justified given the concentration of MS & MX in the area & passing through. Plus the roll out of Model 3 will be first to Tesla, Solar City and SpaceX employees (living and working in concentration about LA Superchargers). By year's end thousands more Model 3s will be delivered to the public in the LA/SoCal area. The combination will put a heavy stress on area Supercharger capacity.

I hate to think what will happen at San Juan Capistrano, unless the San Clemente SC has 20 stalls.

I'm pondering a grass roots campaign to inform the Westfield Mall how important it is to their tenants that more Tesla owners choose their location to charge vs Redondo Beach or Hawthorne. I for one enjoy the Five Guys when I'm by there to charge.

I've developed a contact there as I've been researching this topic for an upcoming Talking Tesla podcast.

I checked with the facility, they have 4,000 parking spaces! Surely they can give up 10-more! A station with 26 plugs would be justified given the concentration of MS & MX in the area & passing through. Plus the roll out of Model 3 will be first to Tesla, Solar City and SpaceX employees (living and working in concentration about LA Superchargers). By year's end thousands more Model 3s will be delivered to the public in the LA/SoCal area. The combination will put a heavy stress on area Supercharger capacity.

I hate to think what will happen at San Juan Capistrano, unless the San Clemente SC has 20 stalls.

I'm pondering a grass roots campaign to inform the Westfield Mall how important it is to their tenants that more Tesla owners choose their location to charge vs Redondo Beach or Hawthorne. I for one enjoy the Five Guys when I'm by there to charge.

I've developed a contact there as I've been researching this topic for an upcoming Talking Tesla podcast.

Perhaps to alleviate that demand, Westfield can install another set of 12 or 16 at another location... Century City is in the middle of a big remodel, isn't it?

Is Santa Monica Place a Westfield?

The Century City Mall is a mess, it could take 40 minutes to go from curb to charger and then back out to curb. In the early days I tried charging at the Century City Tesla store's HPWCs (before they went off limits), my frustration factor was typically a 11 by the time I was driving out.

Santa Monica mall has 6-charge point chargers that FULL much of the time but are more accessible, though that mall suffers from very limited parking. The mall owners would be less inclined to give up general parking spaces. PLUS my rule is to avoid placing superchargers near movie theaters, though with idling fees it should be better. Stations near Movie Theaters = HPWC.

Ultimately with the peppering of Gasoline Filling Stations about the Westside, they would make excellent Metro Fast Charging Stations. There's plenty of near by food (take away prefered), coffee and shopping.