Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Culver City, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last ones...

It was great to be there as Tesla went trough and validated each of the Superchargers. The engineer (Brain) has lately been overseas (China,Hong Kong, Japan, Australia). One snag they realized right away was the voltage was a little hot going into the distribution center. Quick call to SCE and two trucks showed up and a guy with a tool that look like one of those four way lug wrenches came out and made an adjustment and validation continued.

Tesla has a great team and they do learn from each of the superchargers and have been modifying the plans and procedures to make the process better with fewer snags. We'd all like the process to be open, but consider if they telegraphed where a supercharger is going, there are people who want Tesla to fail and will do what they can to prevent it.

Also, Culver City was in the works for quite some time (as are all superchargers). Tesla has some great people working for them who are true believers. Send your thoughts on locations and wish lists, they do read and consider them, though it might take a year before you know they followed up on it. I hope to meet more of these employees in the future.

Talking to the workers, this site to date was the quickest large installations that have been done. If you look at the work needed for electrical alone and everything else, it is really a feat to have this completed in about five weeks and a sign that this crew was great but Tesla's improvements on their procedures and practices are really paying off.

This is a great site to be at around lunch...everyone is seeing these chargers for the first time and the cars as well.

Wish I got everyones names...in the center is Joe Aguiar, Superintendent for the team on site.

2014-12-19 12.08.52.jpg
2014-12-19 12.12.49.jpg
2014-12-19 12.14.37.jpg

Last edited:
Last ones...

It was great to be there as Tesla went trough and validated each of the Superchargers. The engineer (Brain) has lately been overseas (China,Hong Kong, Japan, Australia). One snag they realized right away was the voltage was a little hot going into the distribution center. Quick call to SCE and two trucks showed up and a guy with a tool that look like one of those four way lug wrenches came out and made an adjustment and validation continued.

Tesla has a great team and they do learn from each of the superchargers and have been modifying the plans and procedures to make the process better with fewer snags. We'd all like the process to be open, but consider if they telegraphed where a supercharger is going, there are people who want Tesla to fail and will do what they can to prevent it.

Also, Culver City was in the works for quite some time (as are all superchargers). Tesla has some great people working for them who are true believers. Send your thoughts on locations and wish lists, they do read and consider them, though it might take a year before you know they followed up on it. I hope to meet more of these employees in the future.

Talking to the workers, this site to date was the quickest large installations that have been done. If you look at the work needed for electrical alone and everything else, it is really a feat to have this completed in about five weeks and a sign that this crew was great but Tesla's improvements on their procedures and practices are really paying off.

This is a great site to be at around lunch...everyone is seeing these chargers for the first time and the cars as well.

Wish I got everyones names...in the center is Joe Agular, Superintendent for the team on site.

View attachment 66539View attachment 66540View attachment 66541

Let me tell you a secret. These guys are actually the X-men. But they are temporarily helping Iron Man with his project (Supercharger network). Don't tell anyone.

Thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

This was super helpful to me! Thanks so much. One last question. What's the best way to get in there to the charging station. If I can avoid the mall parking, traffic at Christmas time, etc., that would be beyond great!! I will be coming from the 405/Sepulveda. TIA.

Last ones...

Wish I got everyones names...in the center is Joe Aguiar, Superintendent for the team on site.

View attachment 66539View attachment 66540View attachment 66541

This was super helpful to me! Thanks so much. One last question. What's the best way to get in there to the charging station. If I can avoid the mall parking, traffic at Christmas time, etc., that would be beyond great!! I will be coming from the 405/Sepulveda. TIA.

Hmm...the only way would be the long one. You could get off at sepulveda or Slauson as you want to get to Slauson to Hannum. All the other routes will take some time. There will be security at the entrances to help direct traffic. After the Holiday's the quickest route would be Green Valley Circle and a left on Fox Hills drive and go to the first parking lot entrance after the parking structure, by that point you should see the Tesla equipment.

Culver City is fully ICED'd right now. I'm trying to get my wife to send a picture, all 12 spots are full and no Tesla's. Luckily I told her to go to the pull in spot and charge while you wait for someone to move their car.

If you don't have too, perhaps you need to avoid Culver city for a few days. UPDATE: ten minutes later someone moved their car and she is now in a spot... Looks like if your are ICED, pull in front of the pull-in spot near the equipment shelters and charge while you wait for someone to come out, it's only for until Wednesday.

20141220_145944.jpg
20141220_150206.jpg
20141220_150212.jpg

Last edited:
Culver City is fully ICED'd right now. I'm trying to get my wife to send a picture, all 12 spots are full and no Tesla's. Luckily I told her to go to the pull in spot and charge while you wait for someone to move their car.

If you don't have too, perhaps you need to avoid Culver city for a few days.

View attachment 66584View attachment 66585View attachment 66586

CC police or Mall Security probably just has to start enforcing. This is the flaw in the whole Mall based charging strategy.

If you don't have too, perhaps you need to avoid Culver city for a few days. UPDATE: ten minutes later someone moved their car and she is now in a spot... Looks like if your are ICED, pull in front of the pull-in spot near the equipment shelters and charge while you wait for someone to come out, it's only for until Wednesday.

Thanks for sharing. These may be the most horrific pictures to ever be posted to TMC.

Thanks for sharing. These may be the most horrific pictures to ever be posted to TMC.

Those would have to be wrecked Teslas... These are just the reality in many places that have no laws to prevent ICEing.

At least in California, we have a law that allows the authorities to ticket and tow anyone not actively charging an EV at a charging station.

Yes, but right now, all of the spaces are not fully marked the seven pull-ins do not have signs yet. I was told in a few days they are resurfacing the entire lot (though 1/2 at a time so the chargers will be available) once that is done they will be re-striping the lot and that included the possibility of more markings to comply with marking requirements for an EV spot.

Yes, but right now, all of the spaces are not fully marked the seven pull-ins do not have signs yet. I was told in a few days they are resurfacing the entire lot (though 1/2 at a time so the chargers will be available) once that is done they will be re-striping the lot and that included the possibility of more markings to comply with marking requirements for an EV spot.

I'd hope that with some proper signage and markings, we'll get some better results against ICEing.

If there aren't any signs right now then it's not really fair to penalize them.

At least in California, we have a law that allows the authorities to ticket and tow anyone not actively charging an EV at a charging station.

No, we don't. I believe the law states that IF the stall is properly marked with a towing warning, along with the phone number of the impound place, then the private property owner can have the car towed. The law also says nothing about police ticketing.

No, we don't. I believe the law states that IF the stall is properly marked with a towing warning, along with the phone number of the impound place, then the private property owner can have the car towed. The law also says nothing about police ticketing.

Ok... not a lawyer. But it would seem to me that fellow ICE driving Californians seem to be better at leaving the charging spots alone.

IMG_0373.JPG
IMG_0374.JPG
IMG_0375.JPG

This is what we encountered yesterday at Culver City. The ones in the first two pictures are CLEARLY labeled as Tesla Parking Only. No one cared. We had to pull across the back of a car to plug in. My husband said something to a woman who came out to her car while we were there, and she replied, So what? I don't care. I wanted a space and this was here. So why should you get special parking? They just don't get it. I left nastygrams every windshield. I called mall security. Their response was we have no authority to do anything. You can call Culver City police but I can tell you right now, they won't come out. WTH?