Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Culver City, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some traffic cones, preferably green ones, will do wonders. This would be a slight inconvenience for those of us who need to charge, but I think it would keep the ICErs away.

Christmas shoppers have one thing on their mind, and it it is not about playing nice or observing any kind of etiquette for EVs.
Especially the last Saturday before Christmas.
Shopping areas may just not be the best location for Superchargers, especially during certain holidays.

I think the green cones might make it a bit inconvenient for ICE vehicles to park there, but bad habits die hard.

Supercharger - Culver City, CA

This is what we encountered yesterday at Culver City. The ones in the first two pictures are CLEARLY labeled as Tesla Parking Only. No one cared. We had to pull across the back of a car to plug in. My husband said something to a woman who came out to her car while we were there, and she replied, So what? I don't care. I wanted a space and this was here. So why should you get special parking?

This is simply ignorance. Those ICEers don't understand what the pedestals are, they think the spaces are just parking spaces for rich Tesla owners. They know nothing about EV charging. The signs don't say anything about charging. So don't expect them to understand.

This situation won't change until the signs change. I'm sure the Tesla SC team is working on a solution but emailing Tesla about it, with photos attached, would be a good idea.

Good idea. Ill put an email together tonight with the pics.

This is simply ignorance. Those ICEers don't understand what the pedestals are, they think the spaces are just parking spaces for rich Tesla owners. They know nothing about EV charging. The signs don't say anything about charging. So don't expect them to understand.

This situation won't change until the signs change. I'm sure the Tesla SC team is working on a solution but emailing Tesla about it, with photos attached, would be a good idea.

In such a busy place like this it's just asking for trouble. Yes proper signs will help but they don't change the anger towards Tesla owners that it creates. Other people will look at us as 'rich jerks feeling entitled to premium parking'. Let's hope the mall management and Tesla talked about this before and have a solution.

Supercharger - Culver City, CA

If only there were some sort of automatic barriers that could rise/flatten for Tesla owners lol

Like this, With remote frequencies integrated into the homelink software or something. Ali Express, so cheap

6598d120c425ba992f8642907cfb2ff6.jpg

I was obviously totally wrong about Christmas ICEing at Culver City. Here's what California enacted by way of laws to prevent this crap.

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

SECTION 1. Section 22511 of the Vehicle Code is amended to read:
22511. (a) A local authority, by ordinance or resolution, and a person in lawful possession of an offstreet parking facility may designate stalls or spaces in an offstreet parking facility owned or operated by that local authority or person for the exclusive purpose of charging and parking a vehicle that is connected for electric charging purposes.
(b) If posted in accordance with subdivision (d) or (e), the owner or person in lawful possession of a privately owned or operated offstreet parking facility, after notifying the police or sheriff’s department, may cause the removal of a vehicle from a stall or space designated pursuant to subdivision (a) in the facility to the nearest public garage if the vehicle is not connected for electric charging purposes.
(c) If posted in accordance with subdivision (d), the local authority owning or operating an offstreet parking facility, after notifying the police or sheriff’s department, may cause the removal of a vehicle from a stall or space designated pursuant to subdivision (a) in the facility to the nearest garage, as defined in Section 340, that is owned, leased, or approved for use by a public agency if the vehicle is not connected for electric charging purposes.
(d) The posting required for an offstreet parking facility owned or operated either privately or by a local authority shall consist of a sign not less than 17 by 22 inches in size with lettering not less than one inch in height that clearly and conspicuously states the following: “Unauthorized vehicles not connected for electric charging purposes will be towed away at owner’s expense. Towed vehicles may be reclaimed at
or by telephoning
(Address)
.”
(Telephone number of local law enforcement agency)
The sign shall be posted in either of the following locations:
(1) Immediately adjacent to, and visible from, the stall or space.
(2) In a conspicuous place at each entrance to the offstreet parking facility.
(e) If the parking facility is privately owned and public parking is prohibited by the posting of a sign meeting the requirements of paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) of Section 22658, the requirements of subdivision (b) may be met by the posting of a sign immediately adjacent to, and visible from, each stall or space indicating that a vehicle not meeting the requirements of subdivision (a) will be removed at the owner’s expense and containing the telephone number of the local traffic law enforcement agency.
(f) This section does not interfere with existing law governing the ability of local authorities to adopt ordinances related to parking programs within their jurisdiction, such as programs that provide free parking in metered areas or municipal garages for electric vehicles.
SEC. 2. Section 22511.1 of the Vehicle Code is amended to read:
22511.1. (a) A person shall not park or leave standing a vehicle in a stall or space designated pursuant to Section 22511 unless the vehicle is connected for electric charging purposes.
(b) A person shall not obstruct, block, or otherwise bar access to parking stalls or spaces described in subdivision (a) except as provided in subdivision (a).
SEC. 3. No reimbursement is required by this act pursuant to Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution because the only costs that may be incurred by a local agency or school district will be incurred because this act creates a new crime or infraction, eliminates a crime or infraction, or changes the penalty for a crime or infraction, within the meaning of Section 17556 of the Government Code, or changes the definition of a crime within the meaning of Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution.

Yes, so it up to the mall owner (and Tesla to provide guidance) to erect such signs and to call the towing impound company. I had my car towed by a private towing impound company once when I ignored such a sign. Cost me half a day of frustration and $200. Tesla and the mall management should get on the same page about this or else Tesla's $200K+ investment will be useless.

Btw, in the meantime, all it takes for someone to go to Home Depot, buy 12 cones, stick them in front of each charging stall (when empty). Tesla owners will know to remove the cones and replace them when leaving.

Yes, so it up to the mall owner (and Tesla to provide guidance) to erect such signs and to call the towing impound company. I had my car towed by a private towing impound company once when I ignored such a sign. Cost me half a day of frustration and $200. Tesla and the mall management should get on the same page about this or else Tesla's $200K+ investment will be useless.

Btw, in the meantime, all it takes for someone to go to Home Depot, buy 12 cones, stick them in front of each charging stall (when empty). Tesla owners will know to remove the cones and replace them when leaving.

This may make people dislike Tesla, and tbh, I think this ICEing problem will only be during the crazy xmas shopping holidays. It should die down after the new year.

I think some Parking spot markings and tow-away signs would scare people out of parking there, but just towing them willy nilly is not gonna solve much

At least a person could back their Model S up to the charger cables at the "head in" parking spaces and still be able to charge. If the ICE driver comes out, let them wait a while for your charge to finish.

If someone is gonna park an ICE vehicle in, I recommend staying with the vehicle and politely advising that they don't park there (if they return while charging).

Leaving your car there parking the ICE in is just a recipe for disaster and possible malice

This may make people dislike Tesla, and tbh, I think this ICEing problem will only be during the crazy xmas shopping holidays. It should die down after the new year.

I think some Parking spot markings and tow-away signs would scare people out of parking there, but just towing them willy nilly is not gonna solve much

Well said. It's tough to police and enforce the SC spots without really upsetting the average mall-goer that doesn't have a Tesla. It's the same issue when it comes to the spots designated for regular EVs like the "Blink" spots. Until EVs become more prevalent, I feel like ICE'ing will unfortunately still be a common occurrence...

View attachment 66658

This is what we encountered yesterday at Culver City. The ones in the first two pictures are CLEARLY labeled as Tesla Parking Only.
so this is a little off-topic, but I find it a little odd and wonder if anyone else does, too ... that red car is technically in an ICE spot because you can't charge from there ... backing into that end slot puts the charge port on the far side way from the charger ... shouldn't all the chargers have been shifted over one space to the right?

so this is a little off-topic, but I find it a little odd and wonder if anyone else does, too ... that red car is technically in an ICE spot because you can't charge from there ... backing into that end slot puts the charge port on the far side way from the charger ... shouldn't all the chargers have been shifted over one space to the right?

That spot is not a charging spot, I discussed that with both the Tesla engineer and the construction super, the stairway railing next to that spot prevented the cabinet being run in the correct spot, so they moved to the next one. Has anyone checked the in car navigation? Is it live on the map? Since I charged before it went live I'm wondering if it is treating that as a normal spot that I charged at?

If someone is gonna park an ICE vehicle in, I recommend staying with the vehicle and politely advising that they don't park there (if they return while charging).

Leaving your car there parking the ICE in is just a recipe for disaster and possible malice

Yes...in this neighborhood, you risk a keyed car or worse. Also you don't need to back up into the stall, you could just pull alongside of it, that way you don't block the aisle so much, but I would recommend you stay in the car. As with my wife getting ICE'd, within 10 minutes some one came out and she unplugged and took that spot to charge.