Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Culver City, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was there yesterday at 5pm and 23-cars were onsite over a 10-min period, busiest I've ever seen it, mostly Model S. only 5 3s leading me to believe free supercharging is a contributing factor.

Attachments

• CC SC.jpg
    CC SC.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 167
June 11. I plugged in and charged my Tesla at the Culver City CA Supercharger station. All available stalls were full (very common here).
June 12. I received an email from Tesla saying the charger for my Tesla was idle for 8 minutes. Fees were waived because this was my first idle fee.

The major problem with this is that I stopped the charge at 180 miles on purpose as I had to be somewhere. Normally I charge up to about 220 miles.The SC station was full, so right after I pulled out another Tesla pulled into my stall to charge. So the charger being idle for 8 minutes was impossible.

The mechanism that calculates the idle fees can't be functioning properly at the Culver City CA Supercharger station. I will be contacting Tesla about this. Anyone else had this problem?

@gasisnasty I read your post but am not clear on what happened when you were at the Supercharger.

You plugged in and then “stopped the charge” at 180 miles of range. How much time elapsed between when charging stopped and you unplugged?

That time period is what Tesla uses to calculate idle fees.

If this discussion results in numerous posts about idle fee calculation (as I predict it will) it will have to be moved to another thread, since the topic is not specific to this one Supercharger. The mechanism used to calculate idle fees is not Supercharger-specific.

Yes, it is specific to Culver City as I haven't had this happen anywhere else. I travel a lot so I should know.
I unplugged at 180 miles (short of my usual 80% charge), left the stall immediately and another Tesla took my place right away.
So, 8 minutes idle time is impossible. Besides which isn't there a grace period before the 8 minutes Tesla said it was idle?

Terrible situation at Culver City SC. Always lines of cars during the day. Most chargers are either not functioning or extremely slow. I came back at 2am and had to keep swapping chargers until I got a decent rate. The first 3 never went above 26 kW despite no car in the next charging lane.
Santa Monica SC is only good if you are in and out before 3pm otherwise you pay a parking fee. Besides it's on the fifth floor which is very inconvenient.
Tesla please fix the slow/not functioning chargers at Culver City. West LA needs more SC locations. Tesla SC map shows 6 upcoming locations in WLA in 2019. Well there's less than 3 months left this year and no planning permits yet.

Tesla used to monitor this forum, and to a degree they still do. But what Tesla definitely does is monitoring the usage of all superchargers. They know where the bottlenecks are.
True. But there have been a couple of stalls down at this site for at least a year. Well, that is from my limited perspective. I charged here a few weeks ago, and again about a year ago. Both times, the same stall was out. It could have since been fixed and broke again in between my visits.

As far as expansion goes, I highly doubt that will happen again at this location. Instead, we could use another 20 stall location nearby. My guess is that if Tesla can find such a location, they will build it.