Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Culver City, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NoCO..... You are doing a great job keeping us informed and posting photos. We can watch this supercharger site develop from a distance due to you daily reporting. Thank you! Special thanks for all your photos. I hope anyone, who is having a supercharger under construction nearby where they live or work, follows your lead in your very regular reporting, photo taking... and posting!! Thanks again!!

NoCO..... You are doing a great job keeping us informed and posting photos. We can watch this supercharger site develop from a distance due to you daily reporting. Thank you! Special thanks for all your photos. I hope anyone, who is having a supercharger under construction nearby where they live or work, follows your lead in your very regular reporting, photo taking... and posting!! Thanks again!!

Exactly, keep up the good work.

Thanks

Thank you for the kind words...I had a chance to meet another member on the site today...no pictures because the only difference is that all the Supercharger cabinets are now in place. All that is left is for the last seven spots, the ones that are pull in type have to be placed. They had dug the holes for the supports and once that is done they will pour the footings. The contractors, think that they will be finished next week. As I was leaving they were cleaning up for the day, covering anything left out, because it's going to rain tonight and tomorrow. I'm not sure if they will get any work done on Friday.

I'll take a look.

Thank you for the kind words...I had a chance to meet another member on the site today...no pictures because the only difference is that all the Supercharger cabinets are now in place. All that is left is for the last seven spots, the ones that are pull in type have to be placed. They had dug the holes for the supports and once that is done they will pour the footings. The contractors, think that they will be finished next week. As I was leaving they were cleaning up for the day, covering anything left out, because it's going to rain tonight and tomorrow. I'm not sure if they will get any work done on Friday.

I'll take a look.

Great seeing you today! :)

Stopped by tonight and I was pretty impressed. It is almost done.
2014-12-14 20.57.54.jpg
2014-12-14 20.58.16.jpg
2014-12-14 20.59.05.jpg

I counted 15 workers on site today, work is progressing nicely, however the rain prevents laying asphalt. The contractor expects to be complete by the end of the week. The next step as at other sites it's for Tesla to perform a systems test and flip the switch. Currently there is no battery back up, however extra conduit was run (maybe for adding battery back up or for expanding the site).

Last edited:
Nice to meet you today. I think one interesting thing I learned, is that apparently when they started construction SCE reviewed the site and made a determination that what was originally spec'd (transformer), would not be sufficient, Edison needed to bring a higher capacity line in and that is why they did the vaults. It kind of reminded me of San Jaun Capistrono, in that Edison came in a determined what they thought would work, was not and then they needed to bring a line in and all the easement problems.

I'm not sure how the process goes, but I guess Tesla's contractor deals with SCE, then someone comes out and actually looks at what the worst case power requirement is going to be...then decides someone spec'd it wrong.

Still, all the chargers are wired and all that needs to be done is the asphalt and Tesla's inspection and then the breakers will be turned on. If Tesla is turning on Cabazon tomorrow, then perhaps Thursday?
2014-12-16 12.26.20.jpg
2014-12-16 12.26.41.jpg
2014-12-16 12.26.59.jpg

The five back in stalls are done and do not need any asphalt. Tesla could come out and do a quick inspection on the five, flip the breakers and then when the other seven have the asphalt complete come back out and flip the switch on those. I'm going to bet that one of the SC guys at Hawthorne could validate Culver City, its less than 10 miles away. Of coarse I have no idea how Tesla tasks these inspections.

Talk about Supercharger density. I heard that there will be a Supercharger site in Redondo Beach...this is in addition to Culver City and Hawthorne!

Ugh. Not this again. Tesla building SpC where they're not needed.

Tesla - please make a SpC along the 5 freeway near downtown LA your highest priority. That is actually needed. We need to reduce congestion at SJC. Plus give San Diego owners an alternative to SJC so they can stay on the 5 instead of having to detour on the 405.

Seems like the supercharger marketing is looking at promoting sc as free fuel for folks in urban areas... May work to promote more sales, j guess

As Tesla said with the opening of the UK, that because many places where Telsa owners live don't have charging capabilities, they didn't consider it a negative that people were using the SC's to charge. In fact they think they will just need more sites. I agree with those waiting to have one within 60 miles who are a bit miffed, but I hope over time they will get the coverage they want, we all want.

Looking back on this year, it is a great accomplishment on the number of sites this small company have put in worldwide.

Getting your infrastructure paid for by people eager to pre-pay for "lifetime free" fuel seems to me to be a brilliant maneuver. There's no reason to get concerned just because two separate build-outs of infrastructure are happening at the same time. Both are exciting. Both are promoting sales. Both have a large marketing component as well as fulfilling practical needs. In five years people are going to be arguing over minor convenience improvements and will be just as disgusted that their desires aren't being met first.

But the strategy is just brilliant, and the SuperCharger count continues to grow exponentially (which, of course, cannot continue for long).

Yes, but LA is not like London. Most people have access to charging at night in their garages. Almost all of us LA owners live in houses, not apartments. With Culver City and Hawthorne, trust me, Tesla has that area covered. People in Redondo Beach live in homes for the most part, so the London blueprint will not work in this case.

Ugh. Not this again. Tesla building SpC where they're not needed.

Tesla - please make a SpC along the 5 freeway near downtown LA your highest priority. That is actually needed. We need to reduce congestion at SJC. Plus give San Diego owners an alternative to SJC so they can stay on the 5 instead of having to detour on the 405.

agreed, apacheguy. somewhere near Downtown or even up in Burbank by the Target / Best Buy / downtown Burbank, a location right off the 5 would make a lot of sense.