Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Custer, SD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I see Custer on the planned 2018 list. The more the merrier but Hot Springs or Newcastle would seem like more logical locations for long distance travelers. I assume Custer's annual Tesla rally was a huge factor in determining this location.

Yeah, at least that is what I was told when I was there at the rally this year. Tesla liked what they were doing and decided to put in a SC for them there. There are a ton of destination chargers in town, but a SC would certainly be a big benefit as the rally does draw people from several states. Heck, I came from Michigan (the far east side) to attend.

Yeah, at least that is what I was told when I was there at the rally this year. Tesla liked what they were doing and decided to put in a SC for them there. There are a ton of destination chargers in town, but a SC would certainly be a big benefit as the rally does draw people from several states. Heck, I came from Michigan (the far east side) to attend.
Hats off to the organizers of the event. I'm sure they took note of the annual motorcycle rally 50 miles North in Sturgis and the huge economic impact it has had for over 60 years on that small town. It's doubtful Tesla's Custer rally would have anything close to a similar economic impact, but for a small town that relies on tourism it's a great idea. And for Tesla to reward Custer with a Supercharger will only help grow the event, as you noted. Additionally it will be a good thing for all Black Hills tourism. It is beautiful country and unlike the mammoth Rockies with hours long ascents and descents, the Black Hills' small scale makes it great for a two or three day cruise on the winding two lane roads. Even better on a motorcycle --which explains Sturgis.

Last edited:
I am in contact with the Director of the Custer SD chamber of Commerce. Building permits in the
City of Custer are not automated and cannot be accessed via the internet. The Custer, SD supercharger was SUPPOSED to have been constructed last quarter, but a delay in the building permit has forced it into this quarter. The permit has now been issued. The contracts have been signed with Lynn's Dakota Mart, 800 Mount Rushmore Rd, Custer. The supercharger will go onto a vacant lot owned by Lynn's, and is directly behind the Dakota Mart. Hoping for completion before the Custer Tesla Rally, May 18-20, 2018. I will post updates when I get more news. Mac

Hey Ken, Oh yeah! If you come through this town almost anytime, you can charge up with no trouble at all! Several chargers located all over town. This is the LEAST anxiety charging town in the country, maybe.
Sdoorex, so you think I should suggest a webcam at the grocery store so we all could watch the construction? Well, that would be different. We could check progress ANY DARN TIME!! I am just a dude living in Colorado Springs, CO. Do you think I can work MIRACLES???

Yes? Really? Well, let's see what I can do....
I will keep you posted.
Mac

CUSTER SUPERCHARGER UPDATE

(per Dave Ressler, Custer Chamber of Commerce)

Construction is set to begin 21-Mar-18. There will be eight (8) stalls. Target completion is mid-May in time for the rally. Dave is planning to have a ribbon-cutting ceremony on the Saturday of the rally. A Tesla rep is planning to attend.

Michael E.
“txakoli”

CUSTER SUPERCHARGER UPDATE

(per Dave Ressler, Custer Chamber of Commerce)

Construction is set to begin 21-Mar-18. There will be eight (8) stalls. Target completion is mid-May in time for the rally. Dave is planning to have a ribbon-cutting ceremony on the Saturday of the rally. A Tesla rep is planning to attend.

Michael E.
“txakoli”

Hi Michael,

What rally are you talking about and when does it occur?