Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger @ Daily Destination

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. You are blocking the spot when potentially somebody else needs it.

2. There are reports of charge speed throttling when there's a lot of DC fast charging done on a car, so you may end up with slower supercharger speeds.

3. It's probably less convenient and more expensive than just charging at home.

I would disagree regarding blocking a spot - Tesla charges idle fees so I would not be supercharging if there were more than 1-2 cars upon arrival.

I think #2 is a big enough reason to avoid supercharging unless it’s needed if this is the case.

I also have free supercharging.

My theory is "Pay It Forward" when it comes to taking advantage of FREE Supercharging. I take advantage of FREE Supercharging when it won't affect any other Tesla users, especially those who are Supercharging because they HAVE to recharge to get to their destination... Not just WANT to get FREE electrons because I have FREE Supercharging.

Getting FREE Supercharging when you don't NEED them while making someone who DOES need them is definitely within your legal rights... but also probably narcissistic, definitely rude, and COSTS the other Tesla owner who NEEDS Supercharging time and aggravation.

Pay It Forward

Ask yourself how you'd like other Tesla owners to treat you if the tables were turned.

1. You are blocking the spot when potentially somebody else needs it.

2. There are reports of charge speed throttling when there's a lot of DC fast charging done on a car, so you may end up with slower supercharger speeds.

3. It's probably less convenient and more expensive than just charging at home.
Are your workouts that short?

And btw, charging to 90% at a Supercharger isn't great ettiquette, unless you absolutely have to.
And never approach an Supercharger discussion with "I have free..."

Reactions: BrokerDon
I have occasionally charged to 90%, and once even to 100% at a Supercharger.
But this is in the electric wasteland of PA, where there was never more than a single stall occupied besides mine.
Still, SC to 100% is like watching paint dry.

As long as more than half the spots were open, I'd use it once a week. Not much difference between this and people going to the mall to shop near me and hooking up to the SC. Except that, the mall SC is almost always full.

As far as battery degradation goes, Tesloop uses them a dozen times a day, commercially, and they suffer very little mileage degradation over 100s of thousands of miles.

My theory is "Pay It Forward" when it comes to taking advantage of FREE Supercharging. I take advantage of FREE Supercharging when it won't affect any other Tesla users, especially those who are Supercharging because they HAVE to recharge to get to their destination... Not just WANT to get FREE electrons because I have FREE Supercharging.

Getting FREE Supercharging when you don't NEED them while making someone who DOES need them is definitely within your legal rights... but also probably narcissistic, definitely rude, and COSTS the other Tesla owner who NEEDS Supercharging time and aggravation.

Pay It Forward

Ask yourself how you'd like other Tesla owners to treat you if the tables were turned.

This afternoon I was charging at the busy Santa Ana CA Superchargers on my way back from after another LONG drive and exited before my charge target was hit because 2 Tesla owners pulled up and were waiting. Easy decision to let someone else take my charger since I had plenty of power to get home... instead of continuing to charge and make they wait.

Pay It Forward

That's how I'd like other Tesla owners to treat me if the tables were turned.

Reactions: bmah

Pay It Forward

Well said!

It was amazing how quick superchargers went from "Non existent" to "Look at this amazing technology that will let me travel long distances as easy as an ICE car! We are so lucky" to "If Tesla don't build one near me for my daily use, I won't buy their car. And it must be somewhere that has free parking."

There are still many places around the world that are inaccessible by supercharger travel, it's a bit tiring for us to hear people in supercharger dense areas to complain about lack of superchargers because of behaviour by some owners.

Reactions: TexasEV
First off - the whole concept of pay it forward and your using it when someone else needs it is simply not the case for Tesla supercharging stations. Typical charging stations I think it’s a totally different story.

Tesla charges idle fees if the station is over 50% capacity - I don’t think anyone wants to pay $1/minute for a parking spot so if the charging station is half full I believe most people will remain close by and leave immediately once their charge completes.

I have never seen more than 1 vehicle at this 8 bay charging station - believe me I’m not occupying a space that someone else could be using. It’s simply not the case here - this is in a suburban town.

With the above said I think key point here is that Tesla may start to throttle you if you are DC charging too often. This obviously has to do with battery health.