Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Daly City, CA (LIVE 5 Oct 2018, 40 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive by this Supercharger location every week but have never used it because I live 14 miles away. Maybe someday I’ll make the trip to the 5th floor to check it out.

Interestingly, Apple Maps often shows a “plug” icon where a Tesla Supercharger is located. Here’s what this location looks like on iOS Apple Maps:

0A909D7A-94EC-4333-BCD0-D52C3B9B139D.png

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
Apparently, traffic enforcement has issued citations to the owners of several cars charging at the Daly City Supercharger without front license places, and to one owner who had parked illegally in a disabled parking spot. (Paraphrasing a first-hand account on a closed, local Facebook group.)

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart and P85_DA
Apparently, traffic enforcement has issued citations to the owners of several cars charging at the Daly City Supercharger without front license places
That is bizarre. The only “traffic enforcement” that would be in that parking structure would be mall security, right? I don’t see how mall security would have the authority to issue a ticket for no front plate.

That report doesn’t make sense.

Definitely smells fishy! LOL if there is some cop looping up that parking garage just to ticket Tesla owners. Not sure of specific local laws, but it doesn't seem like it would even be legal to ticket for the license plate thing since the garage is private property. I would think the handicapped parking laws are worded differently (since nearly all handicapped stalls are on private property).

I know that in Seattle people get ticketed for no front license plate sometimes when parking on city streets but never in a private parking lot/garage.

I've seen local police go through a Home Depot parking lot giving citations for expired tags on cars parked there even though it wasn't a publicly owned lot. And, IIRC, people were warning about the danger of getting missing front plate tickets while supercharging in the Santa Monica Place thread. Though that might have been just a warning about generally being in Santa Monica without a front plate and not specifically about being on the mall property without it? I'm not positive on the legality of the issue, but even if it's overreach it won't really be worth the effort/cost to fight it anyways. Cheaper to just pay the fix-it.

EDIT: Found the Santa Monica comment I remembered-- Supercharger - Santa Monica Place, Parking Structure 7 (LIVE 19 Feb 2019, 10 Urban stalls) it was about active enforcement of cars using the superchargers.
I was supercharging in the Santa Monica supercharger and was in my car listening to music. I saw a enforcer circle around the Tesla charging stalls a few times looking around. About 20 minutes later, a parking enforcer came by and started looking at my rear plates so I came out and asked if there was anything wrong. He asked if I had a front license plates since I only had rear plates. He said that you need a front plate in California. I was let go with just a warning because “he didn’t see me in the car” when he came by.

So, if you’re charging here, make sure you have a front plate or stay in your car or you’ll get a fix-it ticket.

Apparently, traffic enforcement has issued citations to the owners of several cars charging at the Daly City Supercharger without front license places, and to one owner who had parked illegally in a disabled parking spot. (Paraphrasing a first-hand account on a closed, local Facebook group.)

Bruce.

I carry my front license plate in the car just for situations like this. I throw it on the windshield. I have not been ticketed with the plate there even in heavy enforcement areas like Berkeley city streets

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PStewart
My wife just texted me right now. She was at the Serramonte Supercharger and saw some "security officers" in blue shirts with patches (driving a white truck). They were taking pictures of license plates of Teslas with no front plates. She saw them talking to this other driver and he pulled his front plates out...

I'm not sure if this is a scam or if it's mall security or what... She has three young kids with her and so she didn't stick around or approach them. Anyone else there right now?

Last edited:
My wife just texted me right now. She was at the Serramonte Supercharger and saw some "security officers" in blue shirts with patches (driving a white truck). They were taking pictures of license plates of Teslas with no front plates. She saw them talking to this other driver and he pulled his front plates out...
The idea that mall “security” personnel would target cars without front plates in mall parking areas is very irritating. Do they really have the authority to issue that kind of ticket.

This activity has also been reported at the Santa Monica Supercharger, check that thread.

The idea that mall “security” personnel would target cars without front plates in mall parking areas is very irritating. Do they really have the authority to issue that kind of ticket.

This activity has also been reported at the Santa Monica Supercharger, check that thread.

If anyone has a front plate... keep a screw driver... remove it with them watching ;)

I just got home from work and got a little more detail from my wife. She wasn't sure if there were any markings on the "blue shirts'" truck. But she did see a marked mall security vehicle at another part of the mall and the security personnel inside that vehicle was wearing a yellow shirt.

I'm not sure if this is a scam or if it's mall security or what... She has three young kids with her and so she didn't stick around or approach them. Anyone else there right now?
How exactly would this scam work? Sounds fishy.

Reactions: PLUS EV
How exactly would this scam work? Sounds fishy.
I'm not certain it is a scam. But with tickets, there's always an address for you to send in money. And most municipalities farm this out to a private company in some remote location to handle, so it's pretty difficult to know if it is legitimate or not. For all tickets, I always call the police department to check the validity of ticket and the mailing address on the ticket.

Don't want to get off topic again, but I'm hoping someone who spoke with the blue shirt people will comment here with some details. Also wanted to warn fellow owners of the possibility of a citation at this location.

I'm not certain it is a scam. But with tickets, there's always an address for you to send in money. And most municipalities farm this out to a private company in some remote location to handle, so it's pretty difficult to know if it is legitimate or not. For all tickets, I always call the police department to check the validity of ticket and the mailing address on the ticket.

Don't want to get off topic again, but I'm hoping someone who spoke with the blue shirt people will comment here with some details. Also wanted to warn fellow owners of the possibility of a citation at this location.

The only "cops" that patrol the area are mall security. They are friendly every time I see them. Mall security is there to check up on the Subaru's piling up making sure nobody is stealing parts and cruising by making sure there isn't vandalism or something sinister going on. They don't care about your front license plate and don't have the jurisdictional authority to write you that ticket. Mall security is mall security not city law enforcement.

Reactions: jjgunn
Okay. So I wonder who were the people that @ken830’s wife saw taking photos of Teslas without front plates?

Probably not security guards. You know there's always some weirdness going on. I see people with ICE cars cruising up there checking out the superchargers out of curiosity. I saw some guy in a creep show white van roll up and I started staring at him. He drove off.

I was there today at 5-6pm. There were no security guards and I would have spoken to them had I seen any to ask. There were at least 8 Teslas next to me with no front license plate.