Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Darien CT Rest Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I strongly recommend not sticking anything (especially not the super-sticky ones) to someone else's car. If you feel compelled to do something, then just slip it under the wiper, with the backing intact (so it doesn't fly away, but isn't actually stuck to anything, like the nuisance flyers I find on my car periodically in parking lots).

Ever since joining the Tesla family I've noticed some spots getting ICE'd in Darien North & South even while I sit there charging. These two new supercharger locations in Darien are a big reason behind my purchase of the Model S - never needing to charge at home with 8 charging spots, 5 minutes from my house. So lucky!

I purchased some gifts to stick on the driver side windows for those who can't read signs. These peel off easy but I have a special stash that are super sticky for repeat offenders. Here's a picture below.
Why not just charge at home and avoid that unnecessary stress? Also if the spots do get ICEd frequently, you're making it more difficult for travelers needing to charge there by using it as your personal charging spot.

Reactions: cvrcv
Oh, hallelujah. This could tip the balance between the pleasanter but food-option-deprived Merritt/Greenwich route and I-95/Darien.

I usually take the Merritt but stop at Milford - it's not much out of the way, is more in the middle of the drive, lets me enjoy the Merritt/Wilbur Cross and provides a better food selection - at least they have Sbarro. But Chipotle might tip the balance to Darien.

On the other hand, last week I took 684/84 up from NYC and had dinner at Chipotle in the Corbins Corner shopping center (West Hartford Supercharger). Avoided the Merritt/I-95 traffic leaving NYC in the afternoon, but hit some going through Hartford.

Why not just charge at home and avoid that unnecessary stress? Also if the spots do get ICEd frequently, you're making it more difficult for travelers needing to charge there by using it as your personal charging spot.

Total of 4 stalls, never more than one other Teslas charging there since I've owned the car. I work in the car during the 20 minute charge and I'd leave if 2+ showed up anyway.

I got my car Tuesday night and took a first road trip to Stamford and back Friday. I showed up at Darien South and there were three Teslas charging and a BMW X5 ICE'ing the fourth slot. One of the other drivers was nice enough to get out and tell me that 2 of the drivers would be leaving in about 10 minutes. Good thing we had time to kill.

Southbound and North bound Greenwich was not charging as quickly as I'd seen on previous trips about two weeks ago. I was hoping to go the I-95 route through CT this Sunday instead so your report worries me a bit. I can make it to NYC on a single charge and will then need to rely on destination charging to carry on my journey, but I'd rather not do that as I've been misled by one NYC garage already.

Southbound and North bound Greenwich was not charging as quickly as I'd seen on previous trips about two weeks ago. I was hoping to go the I-95 route through CT this Sunday instead so your report worries me a bit. I can make it to NYC on a single charge and will then need to rely on destination charging to carry on my journey, but I'd rather not do that as I've been misled by one NYC garage already.
I charged yesterday at Darien on southbound I-95 and it was operating normally. I also noticed that the chargers have new cables. Instead of the mechanical pusbutton switch on the connector there is now a sensor of some sort that will open the car's charge port when touched.

IMG_9712.JPG
Wife and I charged here yesterday with our new 60D at the north side pair of two. One of those was constantly ICEd - three different cars in the hour we were there. Weirdly, the south pair is one pull-in and one back-in spot, which were coned off, with an active attendant. What a terrible job! Enjoyed some Chipotle and left.

Did South Jersey to Boston with two stops - Darien North and Dedham. Loving the 60D, with the ability to rapidly supercharge to 100%. It looks like we only end up tapering to 35 kW at 100%. Super chargers look kind of rough - faded paint and weird signage - but they worked great!

Darien is one of the first sites on the east coast and had the old style charging stalls. Milford, which was built before Darien has already been updated to the newer lit stalls. Darien will be refreshed eventually but as you said - they still work great.

As for the back chargers with the cones, they work fine. The cones are there just to prevent ICE-ing. Just move them and replace when done.

Reactions: PeterK
Noticed that the Darien Northbound was listed as temporarily closed yesterday. On my way to work this AM, the Northbound was active again and the Southbound was listed as closed. As I passed by, I was able to see workers changing the stalls to the newer style, lit-up stations.

Reactions: CTShore
Noticed that the Darien Northbound was listed as temporarily closed yesterday. On my way to work this AM, the Northbound was active again and the Southbound was listed as closed. As I passed by, I was able to see workers changing the stalls to the newer style, lit-up stations.
I wonder if this explains what happened to me at 1am today (Saturday 2-4).
I tried to get a charge at Darien Southbound. Tried all four stalls with no luck. Rather than waste time calling Tesla, I just backtracked and charged successfully at Darien northbound.
Thankfully we have this option, otherwise I don't know how I would have gotten home.