TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Davenport, IA (Quad Cities)

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by drummerm, Jul 25, 2016.

1. drummerm

drummerm Member

With all the great progress being made on I-80 in Iowa, any word on the Quad City location? The Hyvee on 53rd St in Davenport has a Market Grill and would provide easy access to both I-74 and I-80.

2. MSEV

MSEV Member

#2 MSEV, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    Of course, I don't know much of anything about this, but wanting to travel in the area, I would guess Davenport is not a "very necessary" place for a SC. One can get from IA City to Madison, Rockford, Peru SCs pretty easily, but I certainly understand your wanting one in the Quad Cities.

3. keithhammer

keithhammer Member

Not a necessity if you live in th QCs, but living in Cedar Rapids and in winter it absolutely is if you are headed to Chicago and have a 60 or 70. With an 85 you have to drive cross country up to Rockford, refill, and then down to Chicago - no 380/80/88 route. Adding Iowa city won't help - too close to CR. Although coming home it will give you a little extra comfort in an 85 if you try to do 88/80/380 home...

4. MSEV

MSEV Member

Thank you for the reply.
    Others who need a SC in this area?

5. DDarrow

DDarrow Member

I would certainly like to see one. Otherwise the drive on 88 to the Aurora SC is a bit of a stretch.

6. keithhammer

keithhammer Member

In response to an inquiry I made last week - QCs are in the work, the question is simply when...

"Thank you for your email. We are actively working to bring Superchargers to the Davenport area. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site, so we cannot make guarantees about opening dates, but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website.

We appreciate your patience, enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thank you,
    The Tesla Supercharger Team"

7. wws

wws Member

Having grown up in the QC, I am also quite interested in where Tesla will put the eventual supercharger site. Pros and cons of either side of the river. I would think Northpark, Southpark, or Duck Creek would be good spots. IMO Southpark is probably the best location wise (access to I80, 74, and 88), but the Iowa malls are a little nicer amenity wise.

Looking forward to driving my Model 3 there in a couple of years.

8. Wojski

Wojski Member

Not sure if this has already been shared, but some friends came across this supercharger being built at a Hy-Vee location in Davenport, IA.

Attached Files:

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  9. DDarrow

DDarrow Member

Huh. Anyone have any other details?

10. emupilot

emupilot Member

#10 emupilot, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    On edit: from the foliage I thought it be the location on Locust Street, but I found the permit for 4070 East 53rd Street. It was issued on July 25th and it had one round of inspections on August 22nd.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  11. Wojski

Wojski Member

Just got the location as:

Hy-Vee
    North Ridge Shopping Center
    4064 E 53rd St

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  12. keithhammer

keithhammer Member

I happened to pull up to the Coralville SC today as the electrician was working there. Received a wealth of knowledge from him (their company is deploying the Quad Cities, Coralville and DSM SCs).

Coralville -the charger is ready to go. As he said "all I'd have to do is flip a couple of switches and you could start charging". But the Tesla rep needs to come and do their testing. He wasn't sure when that would be, but he thought it would be very quick, potentially still this week. If you're driving through this week though, I'd plan alternate charging locations just in case

Davenport - I hadn't heard of it either - how the heck did this go undetected for so long?! He said it is about a week behind Coralville, So maybe within two weeks it will be ready.

Des Moines - Here's the bummer - The transformer has NOT been placed yet he said. It is due to be placed on the 12th of September. Based on the other work to be done, he didn't think it would be ready until at least October.

• Informative x 7
  13. MSEV

MSEV Member

Looking back at this thread, amazing what can happen in a month...

• Like x 1
  14. Fudge

Fudge Member

Yeah!! Need 1 very badly. Spent 9 weeks there from AZ, sure would of been nice to have had a SC.

15. wws

wws Member

So is it actually in Bettendorf?

16. Fudge

Fudge Member

I believe it is Bettendorf. My daughter lives there.

17. GotOne

GotOne Member

@Fudge,
    You are correct, that 4064 E 53rd St Hy-Vee/ address location where the new Supercharger is located is in Davenport... near Bettendorf city limits, but still in Davenport. You can confirm by locating maps of Bettendorf city limits.

18. wws

wws Member

Huh. Since most of I-74 on that side of the river is in Bettendorf, I hadn't realized that a piece of it was in Davenport. Been a long time since I lived there...

19. xrayangiodoc

xrayangiodoc Member

Looks like it's just waiting for the transformer and utility hook-up!

20. Silvwarrior

Silvwarrior Member

Hey everyone, I'll keep us updated on the build out here in Davenport. These pictures are from 9/2 at 12:30. I can't wait for this to be finished, unfortunately I don't own a Tesla yet but I will be happy to see the ones that will be using this supercharger.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2