Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dedham, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There once gain this AM. Had trouble with stall 2A, so I moved to stall 3B and that worked fine even though thre was a car connected to 3A. Called Tesla to report the issue. Noticed that stall 1A is blocked off.
So I am now leery of stalls 1B, 2A and 2B. All seem to have issues....at least for me.

I charged at Dedham yesterday in one of the higher numbered spots -- 3A I think. There was another car plugged in on the other side of 3, but I could not tell if it was charging or not. I got good charge rates the whole time, and temps were in the high 80s. SO I think that reinforces the notion that there is a technical issue with stalls 1 and 2...Too bad they can't be repaired more quickly.

Same reduction in power happened again today, at stall 1B at Dedham. The initial charging rate was over 100 KW, but after a few minutes (when my state of charge was still in the 30% range), the charging rate dropped to about 22 KW. So I moved my car over to stall 3B where the charge completed normally.

Oddly this exact same thing happened to me yesterday at the Greenville, SC supercharger. Battery was at ~5% when I plugged in. Ran approximately 2 minutes at ~110kw and then dropped suddenly to damn near exactly 22kw, (I remember seeing 320V 69A on the dash). Moved over one stall to a different pair and ran fine. There must be some mechanism that defaults back down to 22kw. I'll have to go look at which pair it was. Was the third stall from the left and then I moved over to the second from the left.

There once gain this AM. Had trouble with stall 2A, so I moved to stall 3B and that worked fine even though thre was a car connected to 3A. Called Tesla to report the issue. Noticed that stall 1A is blocked off.
So I am now leery of stalls 1B, 2A and 2B. All seem to have issues....at least for me.

Dave:
Inquisitive minds wonder if you EVER charge at home??? Why are you at a local SuperCharger so often?? Perhaps the SuperCharger GeoFencing is trying to "TELL" you something... Nudge Nudge.

I charge at the S/C because I live in a condo and have no ability to charge at home -- yet. I thought I had mentioned that early on. But the good news -- to be discussed at length in a separate post soon -- is that I have a charging system installed and inspected and am only waiting for Eversource to install the meter. So, any day now I will be able to charge at home.
But when I first started noticing this slow charging at Dedham, I called Tesla, at least twice and maybe 3x, and was assured each time it was a technical issue with the chargers and not my car. Given the number of similar posts here and in other forums, I think there is some sort of generic hot weather charging issue affecting the Tesla Supercharger network. But it is possible there is something specific about my car, as well. I have not pursued that in the past couple of weeks because my charging system is done. Thanks.

IMG_9714.JPG
Wife and I charged here yesterday with our new 60D, and saw all eight spots taken for a few minutes! Definitely a popular spot on a Saturday afternoon. Staff was very nice, and didn't mind talking to us about various Tesla topics, even though we clearly weren't in the market for another car!

Did South Jersey to Boston with two stops - Darien North (ate some Chipotle) and Dedham. Loving the 60D, with the ability to rapidly supercharge to 100%. It looks like we only end up tapering to 35 kW at 100%.

I was on my way to Dedham the other day and didn't even bother to check the status of the SC on the map. Turns out they have basically crippled this SC and said it is because they are having 100s of Model 3s come through every week and need it to charge them.
I was getting 54 kw.

I went there last Sunday. All stalls are occupied except 1. I was charging in a very low kw to the point that I almost went into hooters for a drink. I charged enough to get home and gave up topping off to 90%.

Tesla needs to put in more SC in MA, especially outside the city.

I went there last Sunday. All stalls are occupied except 1. I was charging in a very low kw to the point that I almost went into hooters for a drink. I charged enough to get home and gave up topping off to 90%.

Tesla needs to put in more SC in MA, especially outside the city.
Could you tell if they were owners' cars vs deliveries?

I think they need to do something about service centers and stores using the superchargers. My account received an idle fee (about a half hour worth) from when it was in service, which means they occupied a busy supercharger unnecessarily.

I cannot imagine a car is delivered within a few hours of unloading from the truck; deliveries should be charged with wall connectors or UMCs. Upgrade the building service and add extra 14-50s if they need to.

Are they charging deliveries to 100%? If so, the last ~20 minutes isn't any higher charge rate then a UMC anyway.