Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dedham, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking for some time that the Natick location would be really hard pressed to try to fit in a Model X along side the Model S and the skateboard frame, thinking that perhaps they'd have to sacrifice one of the three (S, X, frame) for display. But then when the Model 3 comes out, that's the one they really want to hammer home to people, so the smaller mall locations like Natick would probably have to have only the Model 3 vehicle and frame on display.

The new Dedham service center will allow them to have all of the models and their skateboard frames on display, though. People who want the high-end models won't have that far to go to find them compared to going to Natick to see the Model 3. I think in the long run, Dedham is a model they'd want in their largest sales areas -- or maybe just in the areas of high population with a decent amount of supercharger coverage.

Come to think of it, being near the interstate not only is super convenient for Supercharger usage, but being on the way to the "auto-mile" it's the first car dealership people will pass when going down to the other dealerships. I think that in itself makes this a fantastic location for Tesla.

Last edited:
I've been thinking for some time that the Natick location would be really hard pressed to try to fit in a Model X along side the Model S and the skateboard frame, thinking that perhaps they'd have to sacrifice one of the three (S, X, frame) for display. But then when the Model 3 comes out, that's the one they really want to hammer home to people, so the smaller mall locations like Natick would probably have to have only the Model 3 vehicle and frame on display.

The new Dedham service center will allow them to have all of the models and their skateboard frames on display, though. People who want thte high-end models won't have that far to go to find them compared to going to Natick to see the Model 3. I think in the long run, Dedham is a model they'd want in their largest sales areas -- or maybe just in the areas of high population with a decent amount of supercharger coverage.

Come to think of it, being near the interstate not only is super convenient for Supercharger usage, but being on the way to the "auto-mile" it's the first car dealership people will pass when going down to the other dealerships. I think that in itself makes this a fantastic location for Tesla.

I am pretty sure the Natick location is restricted by zoning to two cars and the frame counts as one.

Nothin' much brewing at the site, except the pile of tires, LP grill bottles and grill were cleaned up after the snow receded. Took this shot of my bike in front of the rear service entrance while I was checking it out:

Screen shot 2015-04-12 at 8.28.13 AM.png

Thanks - yes, having open battery contacts is a double-edged sword, for sure. Easy maintenance, easy cleaning and checking, nervewracking at shows with little kids... :crying:

It's a replica of a 1972 Yamaha TD2 roadracer built on a 1971 R5 chassis. Faster, quicker and lighter than the original gas bike. It has a limited range, but I can't ride any motorcycle for very long at my age... nevermind in that riding position. :biggrin:

I stopped by Dedham on Saturday, after getting my snow tires swapped out in Watertown.
Matt tells me the interior is being redone, but no structural changes to the building..
There where a few guys working onsite as well, on demolition (vehicles on far right)
You can also see the overhead electrical service, which looks far too small based on the wire size for a SuperCharger site, so I'm guessing the new electrical service/SuperCharger will be a signifigant portion of the remodel.

image.jpg

Just stopped by there after some information in the paper from the last Planning Board meeting. Demolition has begun on the interior. It sounds like they're keeping the building intact, and just doing interior mods. I guess the landscaping is an issue - Tesla doesn't want to spend a lot of money on it.

I stopped by Dedham on Saturday, after getting my snow tires swapped out in Watertown.
Matt tells me the interior is being redone, but no structural changes to the building..
There where a few guys working onsite as well, on demolition (vehicles on far right)
You can also see the overhead electrical service, which looks far too small based on the wire size for a SuperCharger site, so I'm guessing the new electrical service/SuperCharger will be a signifigant portion of the remodel.

Thanks -- glad to see there's finally visible progress!

Regarding the overhead electrical, that's definitely only for the building, and probably not even enough for that considering they will be maintaining electric vehicles here.

As for the Superchargers, the zoning permit from February 2nd that was posted earlier in this thread stated that Tesla has obtained a special permit "to install said Supercharger equipment 5.72 feet from the side property line..." I wonder if they'll be out front where they'll be that much more eye candy for passers by. Man, I hope so! Bling!

I'm posturing a guess that the SuperChargers will be on the left of the building, where the overhead high voltage lines come in, and they'll place a new pad mount tranformer for the SuperChargers and the building. They will want to minimize the high and low voltage wiring runs from the existing poles, wire/trenching is costly these days. existing poles can be seen in post #48 above, between Bed, Bath & Beyond and the Owens Brothers property (future Tesla Service Center)

That'd be my guess too. Providence Highway is two lanes, one direction only, so you naturally come into the lot at the right side. Having the SC on the left side seems like a natural flow, and yeah, very visible from the street.

Was passing by there this week and there were about a dozen trucks all around the building. I might swing over and see if I can talk to the guys this week, just for fun. :D

Swung by at night on May 18. They've made a lot of progress!

There is now an opaque temporary glaze on the window, but there are enough gaps that I could fit the camera through. It also helped that they kept the lights on :D

1vpcf2T.jpg

Starting from the left side: Looks like they've bumped out the wall possibly. For more square footage of space? I'm not in construction though, so maybe it's just a temporary wall while they redo the exterior?
DSjoOmA.jpg

To the left of the bumped out wall there are two windows (Visible in post #49). View from window 1:
Was excited to see they've already got the drywall up! They've removed the old walls from the Owen Motors layout and added their own for a new one.
MF0IKl8.jpg

View from window 1:
YiMVFTS.jpg

View from window 2:
QzGbHT9.jpg

Now, back around to the other side of the building (the right side).
Woo, lookin good!
RALoUhz.jpg

JHEJubi.jpg

A pretty cool panorama of the main room (click to view full size):
W3prY0Kh.jpg

Towards the back of the right side of the building, near the service garage:

Y1sVNpB.jpg

The actual service garage: Not lookin much different than the past few times...
BmzYHkm.jpg

Oh wait, what's that?? Looks like they're building some new structure inside the garage.
f2Bp4rJ.jpg

Not pictured: The long fence that ran next to the left side of the property and separated the back of the lot from the front is no longer there. There's some shrapnel and severed poles still sticking out of the ground, so don't drive to the back from the left side. The right side is is okay though.

The front still looks the same, still the dead shrubbery and scar from the Lincoln tower sign.

I'm pretty pumped for the progress they're making! What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Nice, the photos reveal how spacious the building is. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that you'd taken a couple of those shots from the inside!

I hope that Tesla decides to keep the Natick showroom open, at least through the launch of the Model 3.

To each his own, of course, but as for me, I love the 1960s or late '50s look of that roofline.

My real point, though is: Dedham, huh? And at an ex-stealership? That has got Diarmuid's fingerprints all over it!!!!!!!!!!

Swung by at night on May 18. They've made a lot of progress!

<awesome_pics>

I'm pretty pumped for the progress they're making! What do you guys think?

I didn't see the update on this thread so I swung by yesterday early afternoon to snap soome pics. I was getting eyeballed by one of the construction guys so I just snapped a quick shot of the outside and I left, figuring I'd have to go back after hours to hopefully get good shots. You beat me to it!

Really great pictures! Here was mine (which soooo pales in comparison). But I gotta say, I really (really!!!) hope they do something to change that roof. It looks like a 50's throwback, not the face of the future.

IMG_20150521_141704517.jpg

Is there any sign of Supercharger infrastructure at the site?

No, the Supercharger infrastructure doesn't look like it's begun yet if it's actually going to be in the front of the lot, which makes the most sense.

yeah, I think I'm only gonna go at night from now on. As long as they keep leaving the lights on, it'll be the ideal way to get photos of the progress.

And yeah, I don't know how I feel about that roofline either (actually I do, I hate it).