Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dedham, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm tracking this one pretty closely, with dimming hopes of actually being able to use it the last weekend of July for a trip from Philadelphia. At what point does supercharge.info change the status from "Permit" to "Construction"? Has the permit actually been granted yet? It sounds like construction is happening... This must be one of the longest "Permit" statuses in the system -- 166 days!?
If you read the "About" section of that website, you'll see this:

This site was created by Tesla forum member Blueshift. Tesla enthusiasts from around the globe have contributed by sending notification of new sites, status updates, and corrections. Anyone may email [email protected] with new information.

The guy has no magical powers to know when status changes and he relies on people like us to tell him. Since this site is so obviously under construction, someone should probably shoot him an email.

Edit: I'm assuming he has no magical powers, but I could be wrong...

And welcome to the forums!

Have the latest pics confirmed construction of the service center and superchargers is going on simultaneously? I remember Hooksett had what sounded like the "wires" in place, a long time before the SCs went into construction. It seems there is still a (small?) chance Dedham could go the same way. IMO, it would be good to spot SC hardware on site, before a cone.

If the SuperCharger hardware is onsite, it's likely being stored in the service area, the parking lot is all torn up.
They are still installing the new electrical service, which is going to be for the building and the SuperChargers, so that needs to have the dirt backfilled in the trenches before the SuperCharger construction will start. I will stop by on the weekend and take updated pictures.

Note: The electrical contractor WAS running 4" conduit from the new switchgear inside the service center, to the location of where the SuperCharger pad will be located, so in that sense, the SC construction has started.

Last edited:
I'm tracking this one pretty closely, with dimming hopes of actually being able to use it the last weekend of July for a trip from Philadelphia. At what point does supercharge.info change the status from "Permit" to "Construction"? Has the permit actually been granted yet? It sounds like construction is happening... This must be one of the longest "Permit" statuses in the system -- 166 days!?

Blueshift is apparently away from their computer (gasp!) - there are several updates pending.

If you read the "About" section of that website, you'll see this:

This site was created by Tesla forum member Blueshift. Tesla enthusiasts from around the globe have contributed by sending notification of new sites, status updates, and corrections. Anyone may email [email protected] with new information.

The guy has no magical powers to know when status changes and he relies on people like us to tell him. Since this site is so obviously under construction, someone should probably shoot him an email.

Edit: I'm assuming he has no magical powers, but I could be wrong...

And welcome to the forums!

Thanks, this is helpful - I wasn't aware of that process. But I'll leave it to someone else to contact him, since I don't have as direct knowledge about what's going on as others seem to.

I remember Hooksett had what sounded like the "wires" in place, a long time before the SCs went into construction.
Travelling through Hooksett at least 2x/week, I watched them from day 1. I don't remember the details with southbound, but northbound definitely started with nothing in place ahead of time - they dug all the trenches and laid all the conduit from the pole->transformer pad->supercharger pad->bollards as part of the construction.

Blueshift is apparently away from their computer (gasp!) - there are several updates pending.
Supercharge.info still shows Newburgh, NY under construction, even though the thread says they finished (phase 2) and turned it back on.

Which was important, so the NY-based crew could get back to West Lebanon. Hmm. Maybe it's time for my West Leb update... :wink:

SuperCharger hardware onsite, crates can be seen through one of the garage doors, will update thread with pics later. Looks like all new infrastructure as well for voice/data (looks like I spotted a fiber cable as well). More lighting pole concrete poured as well, high voltage dual 4" conduits encased in concrete and trench backfilled. There are people still working inside so I did not stay long.
You can see the parking lot is all torn up, dirt piles everywhere

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

SuperCharger crates inside service area see at least 3 & switchgear to the right
image.jpg

image.jpg

new garage doors into showroom
image.jpg

Last edited:

Given the scale of the total facility construction and electrical work I would guess it will be more than a month until the Superchargers are open. But on a trip from Philly to Boston you have plenty of other options, most notably the Auburn Supercharger that's about 50 miles west of Boston on I-90/Mass Pike or the East Greenwich, RI Supercharger about 60 miles south of Boston on I-95. If you plan to drive a lot around Boston, then you can supplement those with an overnight charge somewhere - there are quite a few public chargers around.

- - - Updated - - -

And there are some local owners with HPWCs including myself, depending on where you will be located while here.

on a trip from Philly to Boston you have plenty of other options, most notably the Auburn Supercharger that's about 50 miles west of Boston on I-90/Mass Pike or the East Greenwich, RI Supercharger about 60 miles south of Boston on I-95. If you plan to drive a lot around Boston, then you can supplement those with an overnight charge somewhere - there are quite a few public chargers around.
I hadn't thought about this, but you raise an interesting point: the Dedham SpC isn't needed to support long-distance travel. E.Greenwich—Seabrook is only 112 miles; Hookset—Sagamore, also 112 miles (or 125 on MA-128); and Auburn—Seabrook 78 miles. So Dedham SpCing seems to have been a decision based on the fact that, since Tesla owns the facility, it might as well add SpC.

Thanks, PeterK. We've actually made the trip a few times, but not since Auburn opened so that will definitely help. It's just that Dedham is tantalizingly close to our destination (JP). Anyway, thanks to everyone for the regular updates and pictures. It's great to see that blue dot turn into a cone on the map!

Decatur (Atlanta), GA is a Sales/Service/Supercharger Center as well.

And Paramus, NJ and a host of others.
The Service Center needs fast charging to turn around the servicing of cars.
The fact that it will serve travellers and possibly locals, is an afterthought.

Well then I stand corrected. I was basing that statement on the filing that the Dedham zoning board had from Tesla, which said: "This will be the company's first full service dealership."

PDF of Zoning Board of appeals decision allowing Tesla to place their SCs near the property line: http://www.dedham-ma.gov/index.cfm?pk=download&id=27586&pid=22740

Notice the SuperCharger pedestals will be "5.72 feet from the side property line" and the closest pedestal to Route 1 will be just 13 feet from Route 1 ("Front Yard Setback"). This pretty much confirms they are going on the Bed, Bath and Beyond/Massage Envy/Verizon abuters side of the property, basically over the conduits that are being installed now, and it will be 8 SuperCharger pedestals.

its been a full week since my last visit.. not much progress to report, unfortunatley.
A few trenches have been partialy backfilled, some new curbing installed by one entrance, the sign has gone up on the building. Electrical work has not made any progress.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

todays update: nothing to see here, move on looky lews.

seems there has been a change in plans as to the pole to supply to new transformer.
crews where installing conduit today, on the pole on the property... backfilling trenches going on, as well as sweeping the parking lot. Their is now a sign on Route 1 as well. No sign of any SuperCharger construction.. The LED lighting was all on in the showroom. I wonder if the SuperCharger plans have been put on hold, until they get the service center open...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Just received an email inviting me to the grand opening of "Tesla's sales and service center" on Thursday, July 16.

The bottom of the note says "Due to limited availability, vehicle charging will be offered on a first come, first served basis." I presume this is referring to a HWPC rather than the super chargers.