Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - DeFuniak Springs, FL (I-10 between Tallahassee & Pensacola)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a note to say that I visited the DeFuniak Springs supercharger twice on a round trip last week from Baton Rouge, Louisiana to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. On the return trip, I stayed at the Hotel DeFuniak and definitely recommend it. It's in the historic district just 2 blocks from the supercharger, in a restored building built in 1920 as a Masonic Lodge. It's listed as "One of Florida's Top Ten B&B Inns" and the restaurant was really good, too. The owners, Tom and Pam Hutchins, are on site and as I was eating a delicious dinner of red snapper fresh from the Gulf, Pam stopped by my table to ask if everything was okay. The next morning, Tom was cooking blueberry pancakes for breakfast. If your timing includes an overnight stay or even just a meal, I recommend this place. The lake is easy walking distance from the supercharger, too. You can walk around the lake or out on a public pier to stretch your legs a bit after a long ride in the car.

smil3193, Thanks for the hotel review, I was contemplating staying there and now will feel comfortable planning on it. Would you care to share how you made the trip from BR to Defuniak without a supercharger in between? I would like to visit my brother in Dallas but have been waiting for the Mobile SpC.

Would mods consider spinning off post #79 into a thread entitled something like "Great Hotels on the Supercharger Highway"?

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I find the report relevant to the overall DeFuniak Springs Supercharger discussion. The discussion will provide more local assistance if it remains in the Florida sub-forum, than if it were removed to a non-regional sub-forum.

Larry

Last edited:
smil3193, Thanks for the hotel review, I was contemplating staying there and now will feel comfortable planning on it. Would you care to share how you made the trip from BR to Defuniak without a supercharger in between? I would like to visit my brother in Dallas but have been waiting for the Mobile SpC.

I charged in Mobile at Benson Appliance Center. It's listed on Tesla's map as a charging partner. The owner of the appliance store has a HPWC in front of the store available for public use 24/7.

Just a note to say that I visited the DeFuniak Springs supercharger twice on a round trip last week from Baton Rouge, Louisiana to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. On the return trip, I stayed at the Hotel DeFuniak and definitely recommend it. It's in the historic district just 2 blocks from the supercharger, in a restored building built in 1920 as a Masonic Lodge. It's listed as "One of Florida's Top Ten B&B Inns" and the restaurant was really good, too. The owners, Tom and Pam Hutchins, are on site and as I was eating a delicious dinner of red snapper fresh from the Gulf, Pam stopped by my table to ask if everything was okay. The next morning, Tom was cooking blueberry pancakes for breakfast. If your timing includes an overnight stay or even just a meal, I recommend this place. The lake is easy walking distance from the supercharger, too. You can walk around the lake or out on a public pier to stretch your legs a bit after a long ride in the car.

Perhaps also post your review on the TM forum thread: SUPERCHARGER TIPS AND REVIEWS | Forums | Tesla Motors

Nothing posted there yet on Defuniak Springs, so it would be helpful.

Ok, my Google Maps says its 239 miles from there to Baton Rouge, that's a pretty long stretch.
Yes, it is a pretty long stretch. At the beginning of my trip I drove straight from Baton Rouge to Mobile though with no problems, I did keep my speed down (60-65) to be sure I'd make it, especially since I was leaving on a cold windy morning. Returning kind of late on a Sunday, again in kind of bad weather, I decided to use a charging option I'd mapped out and took a little detour up to Wiggins, Mississippi, to charge at a place listed on PlugShare. I don't think I would have needed to (and it was a little out of the way) but I didn't have to worry at all then on the drive back to Baton Rouge. Another option is to detour through New Orleans. There are a couple of public charging stations there including Whole Foods and Loyola University. Both are J1772 so would not be fast. But if you have a CHAdeMO adapter, you could quick charge at a Rouse's Market (grocery store) in New Orleans. If you do a range charge on an 85 though I really don't think you'll have any problems making it straight through from Mobile to Baton Rouge.

Perhaps also post your review on the TM forum thread: SUPERCHARGER TIPS AND REVIEWS | Forums | Tesla Motors

Nothing posted there yet on Defuniak Springs, so it would be helpful.

I hadn't seen that list, good info. I tried adding my review but my post appears at the bottom, in "comments." I don't know how to post it under the Florida section. :confused:

Update: now my comment there seems to have completely disappeared. You're welcome to post the info there yourself if you want.

Last edited:
Hi Jim, Thanks for the suggestion, but I find the report relevant to the overall DeFuniak Springs Supercharger discussion. The discussion will provide more local assistance if it remains in the Florida sub-forum, than if it were removed to a non-regional sub-forum. Larry

Agree, just would be nice to have a thread on interesting hotels near SC since so many are just chain places. Thanks for all you do!

Yes, it is a pretty long stretch. At the beginning of my trip I drove straight from Baton Rouge to Mobile though with no problems, I did keep my speed down (60-65) to be sure I'd make it, especially since I was leaving on a cold windy morning. Returning kind of late on a Sunday, again in kind of bad weather, I decided to use a charging option I'd mapped out and took a little detour up to Wiggins, Mississippi, to charge at a place listed on PlugShare. I don't think I would have needed to (and it was a little out of the way) but I didn't have to worry at all then on the drive back to Baton Rouge. Another option is to detour through New Orleans. There are a couple of public charging stations there including Whole Foods and Loyola University. Both are J1772 so would not be fast. But if you have a CHAdeMO adapter, you could quick charge at a Rouse's Market (grocery store) in New Orleans. If you do a range charge on an 85 though I really don't think you'll have any problems making it straight through from Mobile to Baton Rouge.

Thanks for the extra info!

Agree, just would be nice to have a thread on interesting hotels near SC since so many are just chain places. Thanks for all you do!

Hi Jim,

I have expanded the scope of our Hotels in Florida with Charging Stations thread to include hotels within walking distance to a Supercharger Station.

This thread of course remains in the Florida sub-forum where people know where to look for Florida locations where they can stay overnight and have access to on-site or nearby charging.

If you think it is worthwhile, you certainly can always start a non-regional thread for Interesting Hotels near Superchargers. Personally, I think it is more straight forward to look for overnight charging in the region of interest, rather than a non-regional thread that only addresses nearby Superchargers.

Larry

I hadn't seen that list, good info. I tried adding my review but my post appears at the bottom, in "comments." I don't know how to post it under the Florida section. :confused:

Update: now my comment there seems to have completely disappeared. You're welcome to post the info there yourself if you want.

PBEndo @US-FL, as the OP, can edit the thread. He manages the reviews and moves the posts to the correct section - your review is now posted in the FL section!

Looking at a trip soon to Gulfport, MS from Tampa. The leg from Lake City to Defuniak Springs is the real question mark. Has anyone made this trip along I-10 from SC to SC, and if so, any thoughts you'd like to share? Looking for some real world advice, as I can't wait for TM to install an SC in Tallahassee before making the trip (inlaws in Mississippi don't understand this dern 'electric car!)

This distance is at the outer limits of your range. You could drive at 55 mph and most likely make it. I would make a meal stop at the Four Points Hotel 316 W Tennessee St, Tallahassee, FL 32301. On PlugShare they have two HPWC. My last stop at a Four Points with a HPWC I got 38 miles per hour charging rate.

A meal stop would make the trip much more enjoyable.

I would make a meal stop at the Four Points Hotel 316 W Tennessee St, Tallahassee, FL 32301. On PlugShare they have two HPWC. My last stop at a Four Points with a HPWC I got 38 miles per hour charging rate.
Be aware that the charging rate someone got at one Four Points with a HPWC has nothing to do with what you may get at another Four Points with a HPWC. First, you can only charge above 29 miles/hr from a HPWC if your car has dual chargers-- otherwise it's the same 40A you get at home from your 14-50. Second, it's the circuit and not the hotel brand that matters! You will only charge at more than 40A if the HPWC is installed on a circuit of more than 50A (up to 100A). Some hotels' HPWC are on 100A circuits, some are 50A circuits, and some are in between. Check Plugshare or the Tesla destination charging page for the details of that or any HPWC.

Last edited:
Be aware that the charging rate someone got at one Four Points with a HPWC has nothing to do with what you may get at another Four Points with a HPWC. First, you can only charge above 29 miles/hr from a HPWC if your car has dual chargers-- otherwise it's the same 40A you get at home from your 14-50. Second, it's the circuit and not the hotel brand that matters! You will only charge at more than 40A if the HPWC is installed on a circuit of more than 50A (up to 100A). Some hotels' HPWC are on 100A circuits, some are 50A circuits, and some are in between. Check Plugshare or the Tesla destination charging page for the details of that or any HPWC.

True.

However, we can infer from the Plugshare comments made two days ago that this particular Four Points is producing close the capacity of the HPWCs for Model Ss with dual on-board chargers.

Plugshare reference: Four Points by Sheraton Tallahassee Downtown | Tallahassee, FL | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Comment: Isom 2days ago
Model S charging at 50 mph. Not staying at hotel, but had lunch and drinks in the bar at hotel. Great people and food. This location is the best.

At a commercial establishment with three-phase 208 volt service, 50 mph is about all we should expect even with a 100 amp service.

Larry

Last edited:
Larry,

Any word from your sources at TM as to when they might be adding the Tallahassee SC? I realize that the map is purely a wish list, but this seems to be the missing link in the I-10 east/west corridor.

Sorry, I don't have any current information.

I agree that the Tallahassee Supercharger is an important location, particularly for owners with 60 kWh batteries and I know that Tesla feels the same way. However, I wouldn't say that the Tesla map "is purely a wish list". True it certainly isn't a guarantee, but if a dot is on the map you can be reasonably sure that Tesla is seriously pursuing a Supercharger in that general area. As we know sometimes there is serious slippage in the estimated date, but if the dot is there Tesla is definitely trying to locate a suitable host location.

Larry

Hotel Defuniak has been closed since about Sept 2015. It's currently still listed as a restroom stop on the Tesla website. If you need a restroom stop before you get to the supercharger. Bogies restaurant will let you use the restroom if they are open and the food there is very good.
"The Book Store" is also closing.