TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Supercharger - Deming, NM

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest Supercharger locations' started by emupilot, Sep 21, 2017.

1. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

At long last, a permit application was submitted for a supercharger in Deming, NM! The description is "Tesla Supercharger Station / 1200A Service". The location is the previously rumored 5R Travel Center at 1695 NW Silver City Highway a.k.a. US-180.

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  2. TMC Bubba

TMC Bubba Member

That will make a lot of people happy. Time to notify @BlueShift

3. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

268 rated miles and 77.7kWh from Tucson to Deming. It's a 214-mile trip with 1856' elevation (eastbound). That's city to city - not supercharger to supercharger. Given that the Tucson SC is in the southeast part of town, the numbers above are probably conservative.

Finally, a viable transcontinental route without the need for snow tires or chains year-round makes it to the permit stage.

• Informative x 1
  4. ahm

ahm Member

Thanks emupilot!

• Like x 1
  5. ahm

ahm Member

On EV Trip Planner:
    202 miles
    1410 ft (Deming higher than Tucson)
    For my S at 1.0 speed, 400 lb payload, 100F out, 72 F in
    Tucson to Deming 221 RM
    Deming to Tucson 202 RM

I can't wait!

• Like x 1
  6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Deming, NM

Along Primary Interstates: I-10
    Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-70, US-180
    Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-10
    To: El Paso, TX - 91 miles
    Diversion: 1 mile
    To: Van Horn, TX - 221 miles

Neighbors:
    Truth or Consequences, NM (US-180,NM-26,I-25): 86.8 miles
    Childress, TX (I-10,I-25,US-70,US-70BYP,US-60,TX-86,US-87,TX-86,US-287): 544 miles
    Ardmore, OK (I-10,I-25,US-70,US-380,TX-137,)u,US-82,TX-79/OK-79,US-70): 717 miles
    El Paso, TX (I-10): 91.0 miles
    Tucson, AZ (I-10): 202 miles
    Holbrook, AZ (US-180,u,US-180,u): 283 miles
    Blanding, UT (US-180,US-191): 481 miles

Clearly this is essential to making I-10 traversable.
    If this were to open before Tucson, AZ, the longest distance between Superchargers on I-10 would be 280 miles. (Casa Grande, AZ to Deming, NM: needs Tucson, AZ (Under Construction) ).
    If this were to open after Tucson, AZ, the longest distance between Superchargers on I-10 would be 228 miles. (Van Horn, TX to Ozona, TX: needs Fort Stockton, TX (site known, but delayed; Tesla 2017) ).
    If this were to open after Tucson, AZ and Fort Stockton, TX the longest distance between Superchargers would be 204 miles (Junction, TX to Flatonia, TX: news San Antonio, TX (Tesla 2017)).

Wilcox, AZ (Tesla 2017) will also need a Supercharger ...

7. Alphacrux

Alphacrux Member

I can't seem to view the permit application. Seems to need a login. What was the date of the application?

I'm hoping this may be under construction already. Anyone with eyes on the ground?

8. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

#8 TaoJones, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Indeed. Curious differences (see image below) - will be helpful to see actuals once both SCs get built. I'll have some new data once the Tucson SC goes live as I plan to head out to Willcox for a lunch run to look around - it's been years.

Could be a fun opportunity for outreach with our West Texas and New Mexico brethren. A modern version of the last spike in the tracks when the railroads met from east and west, as it were.

upload_2017-9-23_16-43-33.png
    upload_2017-9-23_16-33-47.png

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. ahm

ahm Member

I could not find an application date, which doesn't mean it's not there. The fee was paid on the 21st of September.

• Helpful x 1
  10. ahm

ahm Member

I've been in touch with the NM Club about a "golden spike" celebration at Deming. While it makes sense from being able to drive it I was surprised Deming is beginning before Willcox. Anyways there will be something in the future one the Southern AZ Club and the NM Club get it worked out.
    Southern AZ Tesla Club – Tucson AZ

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. ahm

ahm Member

I used the address of each SC, rather than the cities.

12. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Ah - re-ran the outbound leg with the SC addresses (see attached); 12 miles less. It's a doable trip with a full charge, for sure, and easier westbound from Deming - plus there's always that friendly RV park in Willcox for any speed demons or those with lower capacities.

upload_2017-9-23_16-55-40.png

13. ahm

ahm Member

14. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

I recall you prematurely proclaiming this wouldn't be arriving this year either. ;) Well, it's not here yet, so I guess I shouldn't contribute to any jinxing trends by poking the beehive.

15. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Given that this key infrastructure milestone (the first and only transcontinental route to not require snow tires or chains year-round) was first forecast in 2014, missed in 2015, 2016, and missed in the first 3 quarters of 2017, just having the solution finally *in the permit stage* is nice. And it’s certainly possible with 12 weeks left to have a solution that works for most even without the Willcox SC (there’s still that friendly RV park for top offs if anyone needs).

However, yes - the proof is in the pudding. Optimistically, the Tucson crew just heads east. Why, as a bonus they could end up spending New Year’s Eve in beautiful Fort Stockton.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. BigD0g

BigD0g Member

We'll it's not really complete is it, you still need "at least" one more stop between this one and Tucson to make it really "open"

• Helpful x 1
  17. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

Denming to Tuscon would be possible in an 85 or higher pack, if you kept speed to 60 (conservatively, the calculations show 65 would also be possible).

18. plugzinSD

plugzinSD Member

I've done that drive three times this year, in our S90D, using the NRG station in South Tucson on Valencia, and an RV Park in Deming. I don't recall having to make heroic measures to keep the speed down by any great amount. There is, of course, a fair amount of elevation gain in the eastbound direction, including going over the continental divide. I-10 max's out at just over 5000' about 20 miles west of Willcox. Sure will be nice not to have to rely on non-Tesla charging infrastructure for that trip in the future; they all seem so slow, even the Chademo.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  19. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

The permit for the Deming supercharger was issued on September 25th, so construction is probably underway.

The permit for Willcox AZ has been approved and construction is apparently imminent.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Active Member

Can I say about *** **** time!

• Like x 1