Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Deming, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to take a weekend trip from Tucson to Albuquerque leaving tomorrow. Please let me know if we have any reason to hope for either the Deming or Willcox supercharger.
Hopefully someone on the ground can tell you if Deming is connected to power yet, but the wait for utility connection, and then activation by Tesla, can take weeks after the site looks otherwise complete. Doubtful by this weekend, honestly, but I'd love to be wrong. That happens often:)

tccartier's recon of Willcox a few days ago shows it is at least a few weeks from activation. Tucson took a month and a half from this stage. I'm hoping to use it in January.

Last edited:
Tucson was completed very quickly. The charges and stripping were completed a couple weeks prior to the transformer was installed. The day after the transformer was installed, Tesla was there activating it ( a Friday) and it was up and running that night. I'm sure this will be the same. Or at least I hope.

Tucson was completed very quickly. The charges and stripping were completed a couple weeks prior to the transformer was installed. The day after the transformer was installed, Tesla was there activating it ( a Friday) and it was up and running that night. I'm sure this will be the same. Or at least I hope.
From your lips to Tesla's ears!

Reactions: repoanything
To SW1, I'd plan going north through Phoenix, and then on using the Highway through Payson to Holbrook if I were you. Unless it's very windy, you can make it from Casa Grande to Holbrook if you watch your speed. I suspect Deming will come on line soon, but probably not tomorrow. Have a safe trip

We decided to charge to 100% at home, and go through Globe, then Snowflake, then Holbrook (supercharger). We'll plug in at the destination charger at the Holiday Inn Express in Globe (16kw). There's a B&B with an 8kw destination charger in Snowflake if we need it, but don't expect to. The Holiday Inn in Globe charges a flat fee of $15 and serves a breakfast buffet until 9:30am for $7. Thanks to everyone here for the info. Wasn't really expecting Deming to be up, but every once in a while, things actually happen sooner than expected. :)

Excellent tip. Turns out, the Holiday Inn Express was a disappointment, but it wasn't really the hotel's fault. It was Tesla's fault. Tesla, on the destination charging page of its website, says the Globe Holiday Inn Express has a 16 kw destination charger. It's only 8 kw. Plugshare has got it correctly listed as 40 amps. I got the charger upgrade so I could benefit from 80 amp destination chargers, so it's not good when a destination charger is falsely advertised. I called Tesla customer support and reported the inaccuracy. I'd rather pay $5 for 40 amps than pay $15 for the same thing.

Hi, new to the forum... I just stopped by the 5R truck stop and took some photos. A couple things to mention; I have no idea if the transformer in the background is for the chargers, but it does appear to be a recent installation (no vegetation around it). The two stalls on the north end (the left two) are charging-only stalls, the other six are 30min general parking. I got some shots of the back of the chargers, as well as the nameplate. I'll be interested to hear what is or isn't different from the older style (if these are in fact a new style).

Thanks to all who have posted pictures of this charger's progress. It's going to be extremely handy for me once I get my Model 3!
IMG_1528.jpg
IMG_1527.jpg
IMG_1519.jpg
IMG_1517.jpg
IMG_1518.jpg
IMG_1521.jpg
SuperchargerTransformer.001.jpeg
IMG_1530.jpg
IMG_1533.jpg

99% chance that is the transformer! Voltage and capacity are a match for a SC with eight pods. Probably just waiting on final inspection by the local authority before the utility will turn it on. Any day now, I'd guess. Can't think of anything else around there that would need 500 kVA of 277/480 three phase power.

Reactions: otter
After the transformer is installed, the meter gets installed and then a Tesla Technician must check all chargers for quality of power. When he is satisfied, then he will label the Chargers 1A 1B etc. Then and only then will it be officially open. Laramie had power for over a month due to quality issues, before it was declared official. Austin has taken 7 months and has had the Meter for a couple of weeks and still no power. I've charged at 104 different Superchargers across 24 states and it really varies. Some are done in about 3 weeks - start to powered. The Laramie SC installer had to drive 10 hours from Tulsa to spend 30 minutes changing a relay. Tesla is getting faster and faster at this, but some locations take forever. Hopefully, in the smaller towns, the bureaucracies are easy to deal with, but some places have many hoops to jump through.

• Informative
Reactions: teddytoons
After the transformer is installed, the meter gets installed and then a Tesla Technician must check all chargers for quality of power. When he is satisfied, then he will label the Chargers 1A 1B etc. Then and only then will it be officially open. Laramie had power for over a month due to quality issues, before it was declared official. Austin has taken 7 months and has had the Meter for a couple of weeks and still no power. I've charged at 104 different Superchargers across 24 states and it really varies. Some are done in about 3 weeks - start to powered. The Laramie SC installer had to drive 10 hours from Tulsa to spend 30 minutes changing a relay. Tesla is getting faster and faster at this, but some locations take forever. Hopefully, in the smaller towns, the bureaucracies are easy to deal with, but some places have many hoops to jump through.
Please join us by submitting your list of superchagers in the following thread!:
Superchargers Visited

99% chance that is the transformer! Voltage and capacity are a match for a SC with eight pods. Probably just waiting on final inspection by the local authority before the utility will turn it on. Any day now, I'd guess. Can't think of anything else around there that would need 500 kVA of 277/480 three phase power.
Some things I don't understand. First, I don't see a place for a meter on or by the transformer. Second, why is the transformer so far away from the superchargers? That requires a longer run on the lower voltage side which needs larger cables to handle the higher current. That's one reason most installations have the transformers as close a possible. It can certainly be engineered with the transformer some distance away, but why? Comments?

Some things I don't understand. First, I don't see a place for a meter on or by the transformer. Second, why is the transformer so far away from the superchargers? That requires a longer run on the lower voltage side which needs larger cables to handle the higher current. That's one reason most installations have the transformers as close a possible. It can certainly be engineered with the transformer some distance away, but why? Comments?

Here are my complete guesses but maybe:
  • I believe I can see the 3 phase underground tap off of a 3 phase line behind the Pad mount XFMR, so the XFMR is in line
  • It's a fairly large XFMR and I don't think anything in the area other than the SpCs would require it
  • It's possible that there wasn't enough clearance to locate the XFMR next to the other equipment
  • I think those small white boxes are CTs (Current Transformers) and may have meters within each box
Again, just guesses on my part -

Reactions: teddytoons

In addition to what HillCountryFun said, I could point out I think my phone camera made the transformer look farther away than it is. I think it'd be about 150 feet. Compare to the 50meter scale on this Google Maps screenshot:
IMG_8ECF7E99C88D-1.jpeg

The revenue meter and CT's will be found inside the tallest white cabinets, just opposite the Tesla rectifiers. The small white boxes are autotransformers with taps for 480 V one side, and 504 V on the other. The need for these still escapes me. They have nothing to do with metering, however. I do agree the transformer seems further away than it needs to be; perhaps the utility could not get an easement for that equipment on the property, but didn't need an easement for the underground service run. Just a guess.

Sweet!

I-10 is now passable for those with an 85+.

The entire interstate system is nearly passable at this point. If they added 3 or 4 superchargers in North Dakota and one each in Fort Smith, AR and Great Falls, MT, you could drive the entire interstate system on superchargers with an 85 or bigger battery.