Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Deming, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
268 rated miles and 77.7kWh from Tucson to Deming. It's a 214-mile trip with 1856' elevation (eastbound). That's city to city - not supercharger to supercharger. Given that the Tucson SC is in the southeast part of town, the numbers above are probably conservative.

Finally, a viable transcontinental route without the need for snow tires or chains year-round makes it to the permit stage.

• Informative
Reactions: tinm
268 rated miles and 77.7kWh from Tucson to Deming. It's a 214-mile trip with 1856' elevation (eastbound). That's city to city - not supercharger to supercharger. Given that the Tucson SC is in the southeast part of town, the numbers above are probably conservative.

Finally, a viable transcontinental route without the need for snow tires or chains year-round makes it to the permit stage.
On EV Trip Planner:
202 miles
1410 ft (Deming higher than Tucson)
For my S at 1.0 speed, 400 lb payload, 100F out, 72 F in
Tucson to Deming 221 RM
Deming to Tucson 202 RM

I can't wait!

Reactions: David99
Deming, NM

Along Primary Interstates: I-10
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-70, US-180
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-10
To: El Paso, TX - 91 miles
Diversion: 1 mile
To: Van Horn, TX - 221 miles

Neighbors:
Truth or Consequences, NM (US-180,NM-26,I-25): 86.8 miles
Childress, TX (I-10,I-25,US-70,US-70BYP,US-60,TX-86,US-87,TX-86,US-287): 544 miles
Ardmore, OK (I-10,I-25,US-70,US-380,TX-137,)u,US-82,TX-79/OK-79,US-70): 717 miles
El Paso, TX (I-10): 91.0 miles
Tucson, AZ (I-10): 202 miles
Holbrook, AZ (US-180,u,US-180,u): 283 miles
Blanding, UT (US-180,US-191): 481 miles

Clearly this is essential to making I-10 traversable.
If this were to open before Tucson, AZ, the longest distance between Superchargers on I-10 would be 280 miles. (Casa Grande, AZ to Deming, NM: needs Tucson, AZ (Under Construction) ).
If this were to open after Tucson, AZ, the longest distance between Superchargers on I-10 would be 228 miles. (Van Horn, TX to Ozona, TX: needs Fort Stockton, TX (site known, but delayed; Tesla 2017) ).
If this were to open after Tucson, AZ and Fort Stockton, TX the longest distance between Superchargers would be 204 miles (Junction, TX to Flatonia, TX: news San Antonio, TX (Tesla 2017)).

Wilcox, AZ (Tesla 2017) will also need a Supercharger ...

On EV Trip Planner:
202 miles
1410 ft (Deming higher than Tucson)
For my S at 1.0 speed, 400 lb payload, 100F out, 72 F in
Tucson to Deming 221 RM
Deming to Tucson 202 RM

I can't wait!

Indeed. Curious differences (see image below) - will be helpful to see actuals once both SCs get built. I'll have some new data once the Tucson SC goes live as I plan to head out to Willcox for a lunch run to look around - it's been years.

Could be a fun opportunity for outreach with our West Texas and New Mexico brethren. A modern version of the last spike in the tracks when the railroads met from east and west, as it were.

upload_2017-9-23_16-43-33.png
upload_2017-9-23_16-33-47.png

Last edited:
Indeed. Curious differences (see image below) - will be helpful to see actuals once both SCs get built. I'll have some new data once the Tucson SC goes live as I plan to head out to Willcox for a lunch run to look around - it's been years.

Could be a fun opportunity for outreach with our West Texas and New Mexico brethren. A modern version of the last spike in the tracks when the railroads met from east and west, as it were.

View attachment 249571
I've been in touch with the NM Club about a "golden spike" celebration at Deming. While it makes sense from being able to drive it I was surprised Deming is beginning before Willcox. Anyways there will be something in the future one the Southern AZ Club and the NM Club get it worked out.
Southern AZ Tesla Club – Tucson AZ

• Helpful
Reactions: tinm and TaoJones
Ah - re-ran the outbound leg with the SC addresses (see attached); 12 miles less. It's a doable trip with a full charge, for sure, and easier westbound from Deming - plus there's always that friendly RV park in Willcox for any speed demons or those with lower capacities.

The problem along this stretch can be wind. In my opinion until the Willcox SC is on line it still could represent a gap.

I recall you prematurely proclaiming this wouldn't be arriving this year either. ;) Well, it's not here yet, so I guess I shouldn't contribute to any jinxing trends by poking the beehive.

I recall you prematurely proclaiming this wouldn't be arriving this year either. ;) Well, it's not here yet, so I guess I shouldn't contribute to any jinxing trends by poking the beehive.

Given that this key infrastructure milestone (the first and only transcontinental route to not require snow tires or chains year-round) was first forecast in 2014, missed in 2015, 2016, and missed in the first 3 quarters of 2017, just having the solution finally *in the permit stage* is nice. And it’s certainly possible with 12 weeks left to have a solution that works for most even without the Willcox SC (there’s still that friendly RV park for top offs if anyone needs).

However, yes - the proof is in the pudding. Optimistically, the Tucson crew just heads east. Why, as a bonus they could end up spending New Year’s Eve in beautiful Fort Stockton.

Given that this key infrastructure milestone (the first and only transcontinental route to not require snow tires or chains year-round) was first forecast in 2014, missed in 2015, 2016, and missed in the first 3 quarters of 2017, just having the solution finally *in the permit stage* is nice. And it’s certainly possible with 12 weeks left to have a solution that works for most even without the Willcox SC (there’s still that friendly RV park for top offs if anyone needs).

However, yes - the proof is in the pudding. Optimistically, the Tucson crew just heads east. Why, as a bonus they could end up spending New Year’s Eve in beautiful Fort Stockton.

We'll it's not really complete is it, you still need "at least" one more stop between this one and Tucson to make it really "open"

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I've done that drive three times this year, in our S90D, using the NRG station in South Tucson on Valencia, and an RV Park in Deming. I don't recall having to make heroic measures to keep the speed down by any great amount. There is, of course, a fair amount of elevation gain in the eastbound direction, including going over the continental divide. I-10 max's out at just over 5000' about 20 miles west of Willcox. Sure will be nice not to have to rely on non-Tesla charging infrastructure for that trip in the future; they all seem so slow, even the Chademo.