Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - Denton, Tx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An unofficial ribbon cutting...

db76ed7cc6202d3aefba1a49335ed4b7.jpg

Tesla Motors on Twitter:

After tweeting this, are Tesla really going to have another official opening? Seems like they just endorsed yours :)

I hope so. Since they have one planned, we expressly didn't invite the mayor, city council, press, property owner, building management, etc.

That would be annoying if Tesla canceled and we had to go back and create an official grand opening with all of the proper invites. :)

For those of you who are interested in how your Supercharger is powered, here's an update on Denton:

Denton's Power Plan Raises Questions About How To Back Up Wind, Solar
http://keranews.org/post/dentons-power-plan-raises-questions-about-how-back-wind-solar
“In Denton, city council members dug into a plan on Tuesday to boost the amount of power the city gets to 70 percent by 2019. It would also eliminate the city’s use of energy from coal-fired power plants. But the Renewable Denton plan relies on building two new natural gas power plants to help make up the rest of the city’s energy mix, and that has some worried.
Energy analyst Tom Smith told the council paying $250 million dollars to build gas generators doesn’t make financial sense – the cost of the energy produced will be above market rates -- and ties the city to old technology.”

I read the Georgetown article and it says :

"The solar power produced in West Texas will provide a daily afternoon supply peak that matches the daily energy demand peak in Georgetown, especially during the hot summer months,” it said.“Wind power production in West Texas tends to be highest in the off-peak, evening or early-morning hours. This means that wind power can most often fill power demand when the sun isn’t shining.”

What is the storage medium that allows for the delivery of solar and wind power during extended periods of low or no sunlight or wind? Must have one if it is 100%? Right?

... What is the storage medium that allows for the delivery of solar and wind power during extended periods of low or no sunlight or wind? Must have one if it is 100%? Right?
I think their goal is to be able to use renewable energy for 100% of their needs, but I suspect that they might get non-renewable energy if renewable energy was unavailable at some point. Not enough information on what their contracts stipulate in that case.

My thoughts exactly. Still need a fossil fuel backup source. We just won't talk about that and maybe no one will notice. Lol

It is worth mentioning that eventually we won't necessarily need that fossil fuel backup source. Solar is getting cheaper all the time. When people say, "Yes, but what about when the sun goes down?", somehow missing the fact that it's always daytime on some half of the planet. So, we build enough solar panels (and windmills, too, I suppose) to supply ourselves and the part of the world where it's night when it's daytime here, selling the excess to the folks where it's night, and when it's night here we'll buy it from places where it's day at that time. Not going to happen overnight (no pun intended) but it's certainly do-able. Remember the old joke that it's always 5 o'clock somewhere (so you can head to the bar)? Well, it's always daytime somewhere, too.

It is worth mentioning that eventually we won't necessarily need that fossil fuel backup source. Solar is getting cheaper all the time. When people say, "Yes, but what about when the sun goes down?", somehow missing the fact that it's always daytime on some half of the planet. So, we build enough solar panels (and windmills, too, I suppose) to supply ourselves and the part of the world where it's night when it's daytime here, selling the excess to the folks where it's night, and when it's night here we'll buy it from places where it's day at that time. Not going to happen overnight (no pun intended) but it's certainly do-able. Remember the old joke that it's always 5 o'clock somewhere (so you can head to the bar)? Well, it's always daytime somewhere, too.
How does the power get from one half of the planet to the other?