Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - Denton, Tx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

My wife and I were driving back from the Fremont factory with our new S85. Early in the week of 8/11 we stopped in Denton, Texas where I grabbed a few miles at the Spenser Generating Station. While there, I spoke with 2 gentlemen from the plant who said they had already starting working with Tesla to install a new SuperCharger in that area. He did mention a location but I didn't recognize it and Google Maps has not helped me locate what I thought he said. I believe it will be North of Denton, but it sounds like it's in the works.

Here's hoping for a full set of new 150KW units at a great location!

Excellent news! Looks like this'll be the first step in the march north to connect with Oklahoma and beyond.

Perfect location where I-35 and I-45 merge, and a nice 125 mile distance from Waco. It is also a good example of how the 2014 and 2015 "red dot" locations can get adjusted as the Tesla planners really look into details and distances.

Here is the current 2014 view from the Tesla map. That map seems to show Ardmore, OK as the next stop north, which at 190 miles from Waco is way too far between Superchargers.

2014-Tesla.jpg

All,

My wife and I were driving back from the Fremont factory with our new S85. Early in the week of 8/11 we stopped in Denton, Texas where I grabbed a few miles at the Spenser Generating Station. While there, I spoke with 2 gentlemen from the plant who said they had already starting working with Tesla to install a new SuperCharger in that area. He did mention a location but I didn't recognize it and Google Maps has not helped me locate what I thought he said. I believe it will be North of Denton, but it sounds like it's in the works.

Here's hoping for a full set of new 150KW units at a great location!

New 150KW units???

What makes you think that Tesla could already have reached that level of 150KW?

Perfect location where I-35 and I-45 merge, and a nice 125 mile distance from Waco. It is also a good example of how the 2014 and 2015 "red dot" locations can get adjusted as the Tesla planners really look into details and distances.

Here is the current 2014 view from the Tesla map. That map seems to show Ardmore, OK as the next stop north, which at 190 miles from Waco is way too far between Superchargers.

View attachment 56490

Target date for OK-TX corridor completion would be Friday October 10th 2014. (Red River Showdown is 10/11/2014 in Dallas). Denton would allow lots of Sooners to make it there and back. Although, according to GM, Sooners don't like plug-in cars.

Denton is a good location. Denton Municipal Electric is solar & distributed generation friendly and I believe the city won't stand in the way of the permitting process.

I haven't shown good luck in guessing where Tesla puts their Superchargers, but I would guess W University Dr, as there are a fair number of restaurants and hotels there. It gets rural pretty fast north of University and I don't think that TX268 or US77 are likely locations.

The one problem with Denton is that OKC is still more than 130 miles away, so there would need to be another SC in between, if you follow the spacing of existing SCs. This could be almost eliminated by moving the SC north to Gainesville, which stays within 140 miles of Bellmead & OKC.

Last edited:
Denton is a good location. Denton Municipal Electric is solar & distributed generation friendly and I believe the city won't stand in the way of the permitting process.

I haven't shown good luck in guessing where Tesla puts their Superchargers, but I would guess W University Dr, as there are a fair number of restaurants and hotels there. It gets rural pretty fast north of University and I don't think that TX268 or US77 are likely locations.

The one problem with Denton is that OKC is still more than 130 miles away, so there would need to be another SC in between, if you follow the spacing of existing SCs. This could be almost eliminated by moving the SC north to Gainesville, which stays within 140 miles of Bellmead & OKC.

Maybe it is in Gainsville. The originial post mentioned that it was supposedly north of Denton but could not remember/locate the town on Google Maps.

He did mention a location but I didn't recognize it and Google Maps has not helped me locate what I thought he said. I believe it will be North of Denton, but it sounds like it's in the works.

Maybe it is in Gainsville. The originial post mentioned that it was supposedly north of Denton but could not remember/locate the town on Google Maps.

If he was looking for "Gainsville", he may not have found it. It's spelled "Gainesville". Some search engines are very picky about such things. While not a big town, it does have a population of 16,000 so it should have been on Google Maps. I still think that I35&US380 in Denton would be a better location though. Not only do they have lots of good places to spend time while charging (restaurants, WalMart/Sams, other shops, Starbucks, etc.), but US380 west makes a very good connector to US287 going towards Amarillo and Colorado. 380 is also a 4 lane divided highway now almost all the way to Decatur where you pick up US287.

Last edited:
A permit has been applied for in Denton on 11/4! Project PAC14-0129

2710 W University Dr -- it's a small strip mall with Wing Stop, Freebirds World Burrito, Starbucks and some other stuff.

The city has until 11/13 to complete their reviews.

I'll pat myself on the back for suggesting W University Dr as the likely location! ;)

Last edited:
Fantastic! One more somewhere a bit north of OK City and we might have a passable bridge to Salina, KS!
Yeah. I'm not smart enough to figure out how to search the OKC permit system, but my guess would be near the I44/I35 intersection. Or maybe I40/I35, if they haven't completely written off Arkansas.

If so, that's ~170 miles, which seems like a long stretch, compared to other Superchargers.

It's 413 miles from 755 W Diamond Dr, Salina, KS 67401 to 2710 W University Dr, Denton, TX 76207 - Google Maps, Denton to Salina Superchargers. That means at least 2 or 3 more Superchargers to bridge that gap to offer reasonable spacing for fast charging, fast highway speed, weather margin, and ability for 60's to use the route.

Although one before Oklahoma City would just mean a two hour stop (pack a picnic lunch) at the Winfield fairgrounds to recover enough range to go to Salina.