Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Denver, CO - East 45th Avenue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The City and County of Denver is reviewing a permit application for a new Tesla Supercharger station at 12075 East 45th Ave, Denver, CO 80239. Here is the language from the County:

12075 E 45TH AVE - TESLA - EV CHARGING STATION Tesla is proposing to install an electric vehicle charging station within an existing parking lot. The project includes the installation of (2) Pre-Assembled Supercharger units, (4) level 2 chargers, (1) switchgear, (1) utility transformer and (1) utility meter. The project will also install a new 1600 amp electrical service.

Here are links to the relevant permit applications:

City and County of Denver | ePermit online

This location is only .7 miles driving distance from the almost-completed Tesla START center at Lincoln Technical Institute. I only know what I can read on the Denver permitting website, but my guess is that the two sites are related. If not, the location strikes me as odd, as do the specifics--just 3 miles from the Denver Airport Supercharger (and farther from the airport where more Supercharging is greatly needed) and only two Supercharger units (plus Level 2 charging).

Even if not related, more fast charging is good--wherever Tesla chooses to put it. In some ways, I'd like to see more of these smaller stations in more places. Assuming for the sake of discussion that it is economically viable for Tesla, doing so would allow Superchargers to proliferate like gas stations. We'll see if this is a one-off for Tesla START or the start of a trend. Tesla puts in 3-unit Superchargers all the time in China--maybe Tesla will start doing it in the U.S. too. Time will tell.

You can read more about Tesla START here:

https://www.denvergov.org/AccelaCitizenAccess/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Development&TabName=Development&capID1=22CAP&capID2=00000&capID3=03X4Z&agencyCode=DENVER&IsToShowInspection=

and

Lincoln Tech Signs Agreement with Tesla to Train Future EV Technicians

and

Lincoln Tech & Tesla partner to train future EV technicians.

PS- I also have my eye on this permit. I do not know if it is for a Tesla Supercharger or some other kind of non-Tesla charging, but the permit value is listed at $300,000, so it's a significant bit of charging going in at a Costco either way. I'm guessing it's not Tesla, based on the fact that the contractor's website lists that it has done work for ChargePoint, Electrify America, and EVGo, but not for Tesla.

If it's only 2 supercharger stalls, it's highly unlikely that it will be open to the public.
Agreed, though the language is a bit vague. Each “pre-assembled Supercharger unit” could have multiple pedestals.

Also, the parking lot is very much a public lot right now with over 200 parking spaces and is not on-site at Tesla Start. It would be tough to make a part of the lot private for Tesla students (located .7 miles away). Not impossible, but definitely difficult.

2 PSUs, 8 stalls

1667266825789.png

Source:

Attachments

• 1667266900400.png
    1667266900400.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
  • 1667266917688.png
    1667266917688.png
    976.6 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: CO_MY and Cyberjr
Construction is well under way. Looks like 2 prefab units for a total of 8 plugs. A bit of paving and painting yet to do, but this is far along.

I could not get close enough to determine if they have the magic dock, but it does not look like it to me. Transformers are in place.

Lots of good options right there for food, etc. This will be good for all Tesla/EV drivers and will help alleviate congestion at DEN-area chargers like Airport Way and Brighton.

@Big Earl @Chuq

9B82059A-404B-4A78-AA70-01B3F903999A.jpeg
8B1D9BF5-94D0-4E3B-8939-A34DDC145CE4.jpeg
03742EAC-4E5F-44B3-BC90-596F69643D9F.jpeg
C6C27693-99B9-40EE-AE9D-1ACA95AB4AF7.jpeg
6707CDF6-BD30-4DB4-9175-196353B642DC.jpeg
419759FD-1D1F-4599-AECF-C0ED79CA9955.jpeg

Nice! Pretty sure those are not Magic Dock. TBH I'm happy about that. The Denver SC scene doesn't have a lot of spare capacity at peak times (doesn't have any spare capacity sometimes... hah).

An 8 stall SC is not a good candidate for Magic Dock, given that lots of other EVs will block another stall. Two non-Tesla's could potentially block two stalls if people aren't smart.

Lakewood would be a better candidate for an Magic Dock retrofit, although it's right by an EA station.

Nice! Pretty sure those are not Magic Dock. TBH I'm happy about that. The Denver SC scene doesn't have a lot of spare capacity at peak times (doesn't have any spare capacity sometimes... hah).

An 8 stall SC is not a good candidate for Magic Dock, given that lots of other EVs will block another stall. Two non-Tesla's could potentially block two stalls if people aren't smart.

Lakewood would be a better candidate for a Magic Dock retrofit, although it's right by an EA station.
Yeah, I don’t think there are Magic Docks on pre-fabs yet. But, strangely, there already are some Magic Docks right by an EA site.