Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Denver, CO - University Hills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, unless this is the "Denver - East" location...but you'd think Denver - University Hills would be a better name.

I noticed that the Denver East pin is located almost due north of University Hills. Normally the pins have always been centered right above the city name so maybe this is a clue pointing to the University Hills location.
There has been nothing done on this one. The location is directly across from the King Soopers pickup spots so I'm staring at that lot every other week. I still think it's a bad location not just because I have a wall connector in my garage. It's over a mile from i25 and to get to that part of the parking lot you have to go through the neighborhood or across the front of the King Soopers which with the number of senior citizens in the neighborhood that parking lot is always an adventure.

There has been nothing done on this one. The location is directly across from the King Soopers pickup spots so I'm staring at that lot every other week. I still think it's a bad location not just because I have a wall connector in my garage. It's over a mile from i25 and to get to that part of the parking lot you have to go through the neighborhood or across the front of the King Soopers which with the number of senior citizens in the neighborhood that parking lot is always an adventure.
Yeah, since they painted the lines and installed the transformer, we haven't seen any progress here. Maybe they changed their minds and decided to focus more on adding them at Kum & Go locations around town.

Yeah, since they painted the lines and installed the transformer, we haven't seen any progress here. Maybe they changed their minds and decided to focus more on adding them at Kum & Go locations around town.
I’m really wondering if the transformer replacement was just something they needed to do for the stores. The corner of the lot was notorious for people car camping especially after the Cameron Motel and Rockies Inn closed down in the last few years. They seemed to have cleaned it out since they replaced the transformer and repainted the lot.

No status change for the permit, still resubmittal required, and no replacement permit found.

Attachments

• 1615477755263.png
    1615477755263.png
    101.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and CO_MY
Is there a chance they changed their mind on this supercharger location, or is this pretty normal for some installs?
It's possible but you never know. Some locations are built in a matter of weeks. Others take years. While this location has had "permit" status for 307 days so far, there are many locations with much longer permit statuses. Think of how those in Sydney must feel, having waited over 1296 days so far!

There is still a "Denver, CO - East" location on Tesla's map for Q2 2021. If they aren't going to build at University Hills, maybe they will continue the pattern of working with Kum & Go. The Kum & Go at 3253 S Parker Road, Denver, CO 80014 would be a possibility. I remember @sdoorex thought the Parker Road location could be a possibility as well. He posted in another thread about finding information concerning CCS chargers being installed at other Kum & Go locations around town but I can't remember if the S Parker Road location was on the list. There's also a Kum & Go on S. Santa Fe, close to I-25 just south of Denver, but I don't think that would count as a possible "east" location.

1618235300100.png

From supercharge.info

There are two Kum & Go's getting CCS chargers under the Colorado Energy Office EV Fast Charging Plaza grant program. The funds are going to National Car Charging for both.

3253 S. Parker Road, Denver, CO 80814
18465 W. Colfax Ave, Golden, CO 80401

Interestingly, Galloway that applied for the permit for this University Hills location and is also who is building the Westminster Supercharger, are in charge of building the QuikTrip at 40th and Central Park which is going to have a massive number of parking spots (46) for a typical gas station/convenience store. The entire site development plan has not yet been posted for public viewing because it's still in the planning process with Denver.

There are two Kum & Go's getting CCS chargers under the Colorado Energy Office EV Fast Charging Plaza grant program. The funds are going to National Car Charging for both.

3253 S. Parker Road, Denver, CO 80814
18465 W. Colfax Ave, Golden, CO 80401

Interestingly, Galloway that applied for the permit for this University Hills location and is also who is building the Westminster Supercharger, are in charge of building the QuikTrip at 40th and Central Park which is going to have a massive number of parking spots (46) for a typical gas station/convenience store. The entire site development plan has not yet been posted for public viewing because it's still in the planning process with Denver.
QuickTrip! I remember them when growing up in Kansas and Missouri. I guess they are finally expanding to Colorado.

That is a suspiciously large number of parking spots. We've scoped out Northfield (north of I-70) many times over the years, thinking it would be a better spot than the current Denver location close to Pena. We'll have to keep our eyes open as that could be the possible Denver, CO - East location.

Reactions: CO_MY
QuickTrip! I remember them when growing up in Kansas and Missouri. I guess they are finally expanding to Colorado.

That is a suspiciously large number of parking spots. We've scoped out Northfield (north of I-70) many times over the years, thinking it would be a better spot than the current Denver location close to Pena. We'll have to keep our eyes open as that could be the possible Denver, CO - East location.
They're targeting 50-70 stores for the metro so they are expanding indeed! The first two are the aforementioned one on 40th and also one in Parker at the old lumber yard near downtown.

Edit: This would definitely be more convenient than current Airport location for I-70 users and is well located for those bypassing downtown via 225/270. I thought that was a suspiciously high number of parking spaces to NOT have EV charging.

Ref the Kum & Go at 3253 South Parker Road: I lived just east of there for 20 years, and my son has lived in my old home for 10, so for 30 years we have regularly traversed the Parker Road, I-225 area and the constant heavy traffic will make getting in and out very challenging.
Traffic jams are a given every afternoon during rush hour, but it might work out to charge while waiting for the flow to subside, IF you can get to the chargers.
Happy to hear it is planned for 2nd qtr 21, where ever the Denver East Supercharger ends up, as we have 4 Teslas in the family and the CyberTrucks on order.

I wouldn’t call this proof of construction since there is no equipment on site, but pulling out of King Soopers this morning I noticed there is concrete work being done in the area previously identified as the SC location. You can’t tell from the picture but the construction is only six spaces. I’ll ride by later in the week to see if there is something more definitive and get a better picture.

Attachments

• 0BCDF2BC-854E-4BA8-849A-B564FA7F3488.jpeg
    0BCDF2BC-854E-4BA8-849A-B564FA7F3488.jpeg
    960.5 KB · Views: 52
I wouldn’t call this proof of construction since there is no equipment on site, but pulling out of King Soopers this morning I noticed there is concrete work being done in the area previously identified as the SC location. You can’t tell from the picture but the construction is only six spaces. I’ll ride by later in the week to see if there is something more definitive and get a better picture.

This looks promising. Do check back in a few days for a progress update. A couple of pictures of their work from better angles will help determine if this is indeed the long awaited Supercharger site.

Dang, you beat me to posting! I was there earlier today and saw the same progress.

Attachments

• DC262722-33C9-4F68-B6A3-A809104AA852.jpeg
    DC262722-33C9-4F68-B6A3-A809104AA852.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 19E67F11-B63C-4486-813D-1B4D782BABCD.jpeg
    19E67F11-B63C-4486-813D-1B4D782BABCD.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 48
Possible bad news: I stopped by today and asked some of the construction workers about the project. They told me it is not an EV charging project. Now, I would not necessarily take that as gospel because there are a number of construction projects in the immediate vicinity and the guys with whom I spoke were on a break, so it is possible there was a miscommunication of some kind. But between the lack of permit progress mentioned above and this tidbit, I would say this is most likely not the long-awaited U Hills Supercharger.