Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Denver, CO - University Hills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@sdoorex posted while I was composing my post for this location!

Tesla has had locations listed for the DTC and Cherry Creek for a couple years now. Once we found the new Centennial location at the Centennial Promenade shopping center on February 28, 2020, we figured they might "split the difference" between the Cherry Creek and DTC locations as both would probably be pretty expensive real estate and DTC is rather close to Centennial. We drove by the University Hills location on February 28th but were disappointed that we didn't find anything. We were focused looking in the main parking lot west of King Soopers, southeast of Chick-fil-A and east of the Chipotle. After returning home, I consulted Google Maps and noticed we'd missed the southeast parking lot. While it didn't look like the best location based on amenities, it was a small lot that looked like it would always be pretty empty. We headed back on March 7th and found signs of construction! There were 10 parking spots which were cordoned off and spray paint markings indicating electrical lines, etc.

upload_2020-6-8_12-57-44.png

2020-06-08.jpg

We went back a couple weeks later and found a brand new transformer had been installed! Exciting!
2020-06-08.jpg

We continued to visit the location every few weeks but never saw any new signs of construction or any Tesla Supercharger equipment. We tried contacting the shopping center management but never heard
Today, I received word that there was a permit to install a 16 Supercharger location as well as a single DCFC and it mentions the southeast part of the parking lot.

uh7.jpg
uh6.jpg
uh5.jpg
uh4.jpg
uh3.jpg

f85d1e2c-744a-4fa0-9d01-64da28d2f90e-jpeg.549180

Also, it looks like there will be a non-Tesla DCFC located in the shopping center as well.

Can you add this to supercharge.info, @MarcoRP ? 16 Superchargers at Google Maps

I actually found this while searching to see if the new Kum & Go on S Parker Rd was going to get any however it does not appear it will.
There's no official Kum & Go here...but when we found this location on March 7th, it didn't seem like the best spot. We saw a car parked over next to the trash bin and they had towels up on the passenger windows to block the view of the car's interior. When we drove by after taking pictures, we noticed a head popped up and it appeared the passenger had been providing "special kisses" to the driver. Throughout the location, we also noticed the smell of marijuana being smoked. While it may be legal in some places, it's not legal here. Hopefully families won't experience such things once the Supercharger is built and this location receives more traffic.

The city of Denver has received a permit request for building 16 Superchargers at 2780 S Colorado Boulevard in the Southeast corner of the parking lot. I believe the electrical gear including SC hardware will be located here.
Awesome find. Supercharge Info has been updated! I’ve also found a separate permit which shows that there is also a DCFC which is going to be installed at the next door King Soopers. I’m not fully sure about it, but I’m going on a hunch since only 1 unit is being installed at the cost of $65 000
E13CB4D5-A011-46E7-AC7F-1D238C5BAED7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

From DenverGov.org:
Retail marijuana is intended for private, personal use. Such use is only legal in a licensed designated consumption area, or an area that is not a public place or viewable from a public place. The term public place means a place to which the public or a substantial number of the public have access, and includes, but is not limited to, streets and highways, transportation facilities, schools, places of amusement, parks, playgrounds, and the common areas of public and private buildings or facilities. In general, marijuana may not be consumed openly and publicly.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Wow, this is not super far from my house. Although I'm a bit surprised as this is relatively close to the Park Meadows location. I wouldn't think this one would get much use with the Park Meadows location being closer to the highway, but for those who will want to avoid that area there are great options for food and groceries at University Hills.

To add on to previous comments, I've seen this be a popular place for homeless people as well.

Wow, this is not super far from my house. Although I'm a bit surprised as this is relatively close to the Park Meadows location. I wouldn't think this one would get much use with the Park Meadows location being closer to the highway, but for those who will want to avoid that area there are great options for food and groceries at University Hills.

To add on to previous comments, I've seen this be a popular place for homeless people as well.

I suspect this one will be huge for non-garage owners, 16 stalls near grocery close to central Denver. Before a garage, I was driving out to the airport to charge because Park Meadows was always full. I don't see this as being super important for through traffic, on 70 you have the airport, Colorado Mills and Idaho Springs, and on 25 there's Thornton, Park Meadows, and the other new one at Park Meadows.
That's my suspicion with this one. I would have loved this a year ago

That's a really interesting point. Three phase and utility transformers exceed my electrical knowledge, but in a few minutes of searching around and looking at some calculators, it looks like the full load of that transformer is about 750kw. Split 16 ways is 46kw, a far cry from the v3 supercharger. From the pictures, it looks like there's already some equipment here aside from the new transformer, so maybe this is increasing capacity to allow for v3, or maybe it is urban super chargers. It's also possible all my math and guesses are wrong and this transformer provides more power. I could argue for either side, so, it seems inconclusive until someone who knows more about transformers weighs in.

That's a really interesting point. Three phase and utility transformers exceed my electrical knowledge, but in a few minutes of searching around and looking at some calculators, it looks like the full load of that transformer is about 750kw. Split 16 ways is 46kw, a far cry from the v3 supercharger. From the pictures, it looks like there's already some equipment here aside from the new transformer, so maybe this is increasing capacity to allow for v3, or maybe it is urban super chargers. It's also possible all my math and guesses are wrong and this transformer provides more power. I could argue for either side, so, it seems inconclusive until someone who knows more about transformers weighs in.

750 KVA would be the nominal rating and actual loading could be significantly higher for an interim time period. I wouldn’t worry about it too much...

I live nearby as well. I'll swing by this weekend and see if there is anything new. This one would have been really convenient before I got my HPWC and was charging on level 1, but I can't see myself using it now.
That corner of the lot is generally empty other than people living in their cars.
If Tesla is targeting apartment dwellers I would have guessed something further up CO BLVD towards Glendale where there are far more apartments, but I know sometimes real estate doesn't work out the way they want. To me even the front part of the University Hills plaza shopping center with the SteinMart would make more sense.
Hopefully it's V2 or Urban because I can't see travelers on i25 using it much and I would selfishly like to see a v3 in Walsensburg, Alamos, Taos, Montrose, Vail Valley, or upgrade to V3/move the Glenwood SC somewhere which would will benefit my long distance travels.

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I stopped by the U Hills location about 5p on June 24, 2020 and found no progress. There was a bit of yellow spray paint in the rocks separating the parking spaces from the building, but I otherwise observed nothing indicating construction was imminent. Admittedly, I am not an engineer or in construction in any way, so take my opinions with a heaping grain of salt. Opinions aside, I think the photos pretty well speak for themselves.

IMG_4131.jpeg

IMG_4133.jpeg

IMG_4132.jpeg

Reactions: mociaf9
No change in permit status from “resubmittal required”. While cruising around today to update photos on the three Electrify America chargers under construction in the metro, I stopped by here to search for progress on the Supercharger as well as the non-Tesla L3 charger and did not see any progress on either.

• Informative
Reactions: CO_MY
Definitely a strange choice. Any supercharger developments are encouraging but Im still disappointed they are not expanding the network to make some road trips easier and instead prioritizing chargers seemingly for those who are not charging at home. Both are necessary for long term success, but the road trip supercharger density has not increased enough. Southwestern Colorado is still a complete dead zone, and something like driving to Taos, NM or from Steamboat Springs to I-80 is not an easy task.

Interesting that the latest Tesla supercharger map doesn't show this location.
Yes, unless this is the "Denver - East" location...but you'd think Denver - University Hills would be a better name.

I noticed that the Denver East pin is located almost due north of University Hills. Normally the pins have always been centered right above the city name so maybe this is a clue pointing to the University Hills location.