Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Desert in Maryland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at moving to the DC area soon. I've been looking for Superchargers for my Model 3 and it feels like Maryland is pretty barren. I'm coming from DFW, Texas where we have a bunch.

Is there a reason for this?
Screenshot_20200126-170743.png

What? There are a ton in the area. There are 15 in MD and a couple more under construction. Thats a Supercharger denisty on par with California! The 95 N-S route is extremely well covered, as well as all other major routes.
Perhaps you're just confused since Maryland is much smaller?

Baltimore is lacking in Superchargers, similar to Philly.
DC area has many. Rockville opened yesterday. Gaithersburg was notorious for overcrowding and lines.

Western Maryland as plenty on I70/68. Frederick, Hagerstown, Cumberland.

How many Superchargers do you need in Southern Maryland? It's only 75 miles from St. Marys City to Annapolis and the bulk of the population is between the DC and Baltimore beltways. The I-95 corridor is saturated with Superchargers and I-270 is getting better now that Rockville opened and North Bethesda is almost finished. I-68 heading west through the mountains has good coverage, as well.

I expect Waldorf, MD will get a Supercharger at some point in the near future, which will cover the bulk of the map area you posted.

Reactions: preilly44
Charging at home, I've never felt like the DC/Baltimore area or cumberland and west were limited. The eastern shore and waldorf ish are certainly lacking - you have Graysonville and Annapolis, but nothing further south unless you go west to DC ish.

Reactions: preilly44
IMHO (and for the greater good of the Tesla community), most people in the DMV are using their home chargers and therefore, not crowding the superchargers. I'm sure there are some taking advantage, but it seems to be less of an issue when compared to say, the west coast. I'm sure the fact that there are fewer Tesla owners in our area when compared to California also contributes to that issue. But as @boaterva stated, there are more then enough to get you from one place to the other without range anxiety.

Also, welcome to the neighborhood!

I've been to the Oxon Hill, MD 20745 Supercharger and I do not recommend it.

That's the last/only supercharger on the Delmarva Peninsula (the big area to the East void of superchargers).

There you have to pay for parking while you charge. I went up to the desk to verify, no refund on parking.

I've been to the Oxon Hill, MD 20745 Supercharger and I do not recommend it.

That's the last/only supercharger on the Delmarva Peninsula (the big area to the East void of superchargers).

There you have to pay for parking while you charge. I went up to the desk to verify, no refund on parking.

Oxon Hill (National Harbor) is definitely not on the DelMarVa Peninsula ... it's in the Washington, D.C. metro area on the south side of the Capital Beltway along with Springfield, VA. Farther east as you approach the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is the Annapolis Supercharger.

The DelMarVa Peninsula is even farther east, across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. It has the following Superchargers.
  • Grasonville, MD
  • Salisbury, MD
  • Ocean City, MD (under construction)
  • Lewes, DE
  • Dover, DE

Looking at moving to the DC area soon. I've been looking for Superchargers for my Model 3 and it feels like Maryland is pretty barren. I'm coming from DFW, Texas where we have a bunch.

Based on supercharge.info, there are 7-8 SCs in the DC area (depending on how you define it), another 2-3 further out, and another 3 under construction. DFW has 7 and none under construction. So I'm not sure I understand the basis for your statement.

And I'm from San Antonio, which is truly a supercharger desert.

Reactions: plumazul
Based on supercharge.info, there are 7-8 SCs in the DC area (depending on how you define it), another 2-3 further out, and another 3 under construction. DFW has 7 and none under construction. So I'm not sure I understand the basis for your statement.

From a size perspective. From what it looks like there seems to be a Supercharger within 30 miles of anywhere in the state. Significantly better than most areas in the US.

Look at all of those coming soon pins. :cool:
Well to be fair, I've been watching most those pins stay in the "coming soon" state since early 2018. Like I used to live in NE DC and was praying every day that they'd install a SC as promised, since I lived in an apartment and parked on the street each night like you do in DC, and it just never came. I've moved up to Bethesda (where I still park on the street, and still have no at-home charging) but now there's an urban SC literally a mile away from me, which wasn't even "coming soon" on the map, it just appeared out of nowhere one day.