Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Detroit, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not too much progress in the last week. See picture from today.

Attachments

• 1E8700EC-9948-4AF0-BC88-4DF3D2AE62A5.jpeg
    1E8700EC-9948-4AF0-BC88-4DF3D2AE62A5.jpeg
    466.7 KB · Views: 139
For those not from "around here" this is not a location where I would bring young children for a leisurely stroll through Meijer while charging. Nor would I take them to any of the nearby restaurants. It is not the roughest neighborhood in Detroit, but do expect that you will be approached by panhandlers, people selling 'charity' candy bars, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: cdswm3 and mrau
For those not from "around here" this is not a location where I would bring young children for a leisurely stroll through Meijer while charging. Nor would I take them to any of the nearby restaurants. It is not the roughest neighborhood in Detroit, but do expect that you will be approached by panhandlers, people selling 'charity' candy bars, etc.
That's fair, but I also wouldn't be scared to use it once it's open. You're right, though, if you're on a long trip and want to make a longer stop to stretch your legs and eat, this won't be your preferred SC.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
I am from around here, my office is actually four blocks away on Hilton just north of 8 mile. I am excited about this supercharging location, as I have two Teslas with free unlimited. I wouldn't hesitate to bring my child with me, but I would be a little more aware of my surroundings than other supercharging sites. He and I frequent the Starbucks, since he loves egg bites. Heck, I just got a Planet Fitness membership in preparation of this place 😅

I am from around here, my office is actually four blocks away on Hilton just north of 8 mile. I am excited about this supercharging location, as I have two Teslas with free unlimited. I wouldn't hesitate to bring my child with me, but I would be a little more aware of my surroundings than other supercharging sites. He and I frequent the Starbucks, since he loves egg bites. Heck, I just got a Planet Fitness membership in preparation of this place 😅
Darin, you said it well: “…I would be a little more aware of my surroundings…”
As locals, I feel the need to let non-locals know that this is a high crime area and that they should exercise an appropriate amount of caution. I attached a crime heat map of the area for reference.
3DDBD768-BCDF-4434-B415-62A090E94B7D.jpeg

Reactions: darinmcleskey
You are both spot-on with your assessment. I'm excited this SC is about to happen as it is much closer than livonia, roseville or auburn hills. NOT thrilled with the location having once lived literally right behind the shopping center in a torn-down flat. I was a victim of crimes there and witness to others. I intend to use this SC in daylight only and probably accompanied by at least one other person. On Tuesday squad cars were parked in front of Meijer's and I would think this is a regular spot for them. The parking lot was very busy (3pm) with many cars where groups of people were hanging out around them. The 'BE AWARE' flags were up and strong. I expect there to be outages due to vandalism and will only head there if NAV says it is operational.

Yeah, this place isn't that safe, not sure why they decided to put it there, I wouldn't want to charge my Tesla there at night. Weird, if they were going to put it here, they should have put it on 9mile & I-75 Krogers, in Hazel Park. In the back of the Krogers, there's parking spots that people barely ever use. There's also parking Spots by the drive up ATM that people rarely ever park there too. I wouldn't mind charging there at night if it was there. . Much safer area and the Police Station is relatively close by/across the street from Krogers. When they said Detroit, I thought they were actually going to throw it close to the Renaissance area, but I suppose GM doesn't want Tesla Chargers close by to HQ.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Anyone track the progress of the Supercharger marked at Campus Martius in downtown Detroit?

There's also one just over the bridge in Windsor.

Edit: Looking at Tesla's own maps, there's no mention of the 8 mile Meijer Supercharger. I have a fleeting suspicion that the one marked in downtown Detroit might be really the one on the 8 Mile Meijer. The timing is about right.

Attachments

• Supercharger - Detroit.jpg
    Supercharger - Detroit.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Supercharger - Windsor.jpg
    Supercharger - Windsor.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Anyone track the progress of the Supercharger marked at Campus Martius in downtown Detroit?

There's also one just over the bridge in Windsor.

Edit: Looking at Tesla's own maps, there's no mention of the 8 mile Meijer Supercharger. I have a fleeting suspicion that the one marked in downtown Detroit might be really the one on the 8 Mile Meijer. The timing is about right.
Yes. When Tesla marks that a supercharger is coming in a particular city, it defaults to the map’s default location of that city, which for Detroit, is Campus Martius.

Reactions: metroplex