Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Detroit, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While visiting family in Northville MI I used the new Supercharger there to refill electrons. This was a Friday, mid-morning, bright day. No issues, Model 3 charged quickly. My wife and I walked into the Meier’s during charging and the restrooms were decent, pretty clean. No food that we saw in a short walking distance so we went back to the car. While we charged there was one other car charging, they left, another car came up. At least on this day and at this time of day, there were no panhandlers, no one harassing us, pretty typical charging experience. And yes, our family cautioned us to not try this at night.

While visiting family in Northville MI I used the new Supercharger there to refill electrons. This was a Friday, mid-morning, bright day. No issues, Model 3 charged quickly. My wife and I walked into the Meier’s during charging and the restrooms were decent, pretty clean. No food that we saw in a short walking distance so we went back to the car. While we charged there was one other car charging, they left, another car came up. At least on this day and at this time of day, there were no panhandlers, no one harassing us, pretty typical charging experience. And yes, our family cautioned us to not try this at night.

That's because Northville is nowhere near Detroit.

The future Tesla supercharger station in Detroit would be the Meijer closest to Detroit at 8 mile and Woodward, not exactly the best area. Not too far from strip clubs and other establishments. Although Kitty's Cheesecakes is nearby and they have some great selections.

Someone explained to me how Costco selected the Roseville location, and it was mainly for the Grosse Pointe area as well as Detroit. A lot of east side Detroiters and Grosse Pointers would shop in Roseville Wal-Mart, Meijer, etc... and the closest Target to Detroit/the 5 Pointes is in Clinton Township, a solid 7+ miles away from Detroit. It just so happens one of the first Tesla superchargers in the SE MI area was the Roseville Meijer location.

There is a chick-fil-a, Panera, qdoba, 5 guys, and twin peaks all within immediate walking distance.

There's also this place that is less than a mile south, LOL

Gosh, that should have been on the tour for sure! Maybe next trip.

The cool thing about Meijer is they generally aren't standalone in the middle of nowhere. There's always a bunch of stores, restaurants, etc... nearby. The exceptions are one of the oldest/original Meijer in Grand Rapids but I think they tore it down to rebuild. It's the one that is on the opposite side of the city as the Grand Rapids Tesla Supercharger station.

The cool thing about Meijer is they generally aren't standalone in the middle of nowhere. There's always a bunch of stores, restaurants, etc... nearby. The exceptions are one of the oldest/original Meijer in Grand Rapids but I think they tore it down to rebuild. It's the one that is on the opposite side of the city as the Grand Rapids Tesla Supercharger station.
Whenever we go on trips, my wife's first question about a Supercharger is "is it at a Meijer". That's usually a good indication that there will be other stuff around as well.

Reactions: metroplex
I stopped by the location today. No workers present. The spots are open, but no seemingly no power to the stalls.

67554DC9-B91F-453A-9A7C-44AF51ABB943.jpeg

Any update? Could someone look at the signs and see if any spots are for charging only? Didn't think to look last month. Pictures are all taken from west. If all spots are 30 minutes, ICEing could be a real issue. When I was there, many individuals were gathered in various clusters throughout the parking lot. Police presence was there and would be necessary if you really needed a charge.

Reactions: darinmcleskey

From Tesla's website (250 kW)​

Detroit, MI Supercharger​

Meijer 1301 8 Mile Rd Detroit, MI 48203
Driving Directions

Roadside Assistance (877) 798-3752

Charging
12 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 250kW

Restrooms
Meijer
Meijer Express Gas Station
McDonald's