Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Detroit, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla needs to really sell those CCS 1 adapters in the US so everyone can use other fast chargers. The brand new EVgos use CCS1 or Chademo. Like seriously, Chademo?
I have been constantly posting on Twitter to @Tesla and @ElonMusk to get the CCS to Tesla adapter (and hardware mods for pre 2019 cars) released in the US before they open up the SuC network to other cars. Stupid not to do that...

Reactions: metroplex
NP. But was hoping there was yet another one being built even closer :)

Have a good one...

Haha it's never a problem to have more of them around. I'm more interested in the CCS to Tesla adapter for more access to non-Tesla DC faster chargers. They may not be as good as Tesla but there's going to be more of them around than the Tesla chargers.

Ubly is important to me because it's the only DC Fast Charger near a drag strip... And you want 80%-100% State of Charge for max performance at the track. I am surprised that a lot of the tracks that underwent massive rennovations didn't even consider or care about EV charging (Milan, Lapeer). At least put in a few Level 2 chargers or RV hookups.

Reactions: FMinMI
FOIA docs are split into 5 segments, attached. @corywright

Address: 1301 W 8 Mile Road, Detroit, MI 48203
Coords: 42.44553442887716, -83.11792040290425
Details: 12 V3 stalls, 3 cabinets, 1 LED light post, some nearby EV Go Chargers

EV Go chargers are already being installed, their equipment has arrive on-scene last I checked.

My own side comment: this is BARELY within the city limits of Detroit. This is your "Detroit" location, Tesla? The grey pin is the Meijer location, the red outline in the city of Detroit boundary.

View attachment 776665

View attachment 776657
View attachment 776660
View attachment 776662
They used to have a 'pin' for one in downtown Detroit close to the RenCen. I see it is gone. But, with regard to your comment, it is in Detroit city limits, if only by a block or two :-(

They used to have a 'pin' for one in downtown Detroit close to the RenCen. I see it is gone. But, with regard to your comment, it is in Detroit city limits, if only by a block or two :-(

The downtown pin became the one at the northern end of the city limits. The Find Us map puts coming soon pins where the name of the city is, not in the actual location (with rare exception).

Reactions: tesrella and FMinMI
Yeah that confused me as well. The original "center" of Detroit was right on Campus Martius. While a neat idea, I was thinking how the "f" are they going to have a supercharger station there, traffic would be a PITA.

8 mile and Woodward is barely on the edge of Detroit. Good news is that you can stop by Kitty's cheesecakes across the street on 8 mile after you're done charging.

Yeah that confused me as well. The original "center" of Detroit was right on Campus Martius. While a neat idea, I was thinking how the "f" are they going to have a supercharger station there, traffic would be a PITA.

8 mile and Woodward is barely on the edge of Detroit. Good news is that you can stop by Kitty's cheesecakes across the street on 8 mile after you're done charging.
Well, since they like putting their SuCs at Meijer, this location makes sense. No other (large) one is as close to I-75, and since you have one at Auburn Hills and then Toledo, this is about 1/2 in between...

Glad to hear of the new SuC! My son lives in Madison Heights and we would have to go to Roseville or charge extra long at Auburn Hills.
Got to use the new Detroit SuC Saturday. Got there early in the morning and only saw 2 other cars which was good, as when I checked the evening before it showed almost all in use! The road to/from I75 really needs some work. Charging was fast.

I was disappointed in the Meijer there - bathrooms were pretty bad (one toilet backed up, another with no TP holder so they just laid the roll on the ground. Lots of security presence too for a Saturday morning - Detroit patrol car parked at the gas station and another (in a parking space) right in front of the main entrance door...

I’ve used this charger a couple times. It’s very close to Ferndale. It’s usually very busy with multiple cars waiting for stalls. There’s a security guard there mediating between people and directing traffic. I prefer the charger in Livonia or Northville but this is the only one along the Woodward corridor. Honestly, Michigan could use a few more superchargers in the Detroit area.

Reactions: FMinMI
Someone at work who was thinking of getting an EV was arguing that there's no way to charge in the desert between Los Angeles and Las Vegas, so I pulled out my Tesla app and showed the SC's in real-time between LA and Vegas as well as around Barstow. I noticed that many of these SC's had up to 47 stalls 250kW capability, and many were empty. He was fairly impressed. I think that we do have a fairly limited number of Tesla stations, and the EVGo's that are around often have like only 4 stations. The one closest to me has 4 stations and I am now seeing lots of EVs waiting in line. About 1.5-2 years ago when that EVGo was first built, it was a ghost town. More and more people are buying/driving EVs now.

New fencing is going up, a worker has confirmed that 8 v4 stalls are being installed. They will not be pull through. He says it will take quite a while before they are active.

This is amazing news for the busiest supercharger in the State!

1000042025.jpg