Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dickinson, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone by chance done Dickinson to Spearfish (or vice versa) in a Model Y AWD? ABRP makes it look a little tight compared to our 3 LR RWD, especially considering how close the EPA range is between them.
Only about 200 miles. You should be fine in summer if you charge to near full and go the speed limit. Should be relatively easy to slow down on those roads if necessary. Maybe do it in daylight hours as a precaution.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
Only about 200 miles. You should be fine in summer if you charge to near full and go the speed limit. Should be relatively easy to slow down on those roads if necessary. Maybe do it in daylight hours as a precaution.

Oh yeah, definitely looks doable. I was just surprised ABRP was calling for charging close to 100%, which would be a bit of a drag. If I end up doing the trip, I'll share my experience.

Oh yeah, I'd want to be sure to take a route that had all paved surfaces. I'm sure efficiency would take a big hit on gravel. Also, it's over 1,000 ft uphill from Dickinson to Spearfish. Would be much easier in the opposite direciton.

EDIT: It's 206 miles just staying on I-94 and US85. If I were unfamiliar with the roads, I'd probably do that just to be safe. For sure all US highways are going to be paved (barring major construction). It's only like 2-3 miles further than the slightly shorter path on state highways.

Oh yeah, I'd want to be sure to take a route that had all paved surfaces. I'm sure efficiency would take a big hit on gravel. Also, it's over 1,000 ft uphill from Dickinson to Spearfish. Would be much easier in the opposite direciton.

EDIT: It's 206 miles just staying on I-94 and US85. If I were unfamiliar with the roads, I'd probably do that just to be safe. For sure all US highways are going to be paved (barring major construction). It's only like 2-3 miles further than the slightly shorter path on state highways.
I’ve not google earthed it—just extrapolating from my bumpy descent from Alexandria to Worthington, MN. Saw the mileage and all the little plotted jags and assumed the worst.

Just did Spearfish to the North Dakota state line and back about 3 weeks ago (July 7, so son could check off another state). Left with 302 range showing. Actual miles roundtrip was 221. Arrived back at Spearfish with 83 range showing. Weather was clear, light traffic, kept at speed limit to +5 most of the time - let others pass when safe. About 6 hours, including lunch at a one bldg town. When stopped (at state line for pix, didn't notice any significant wind, didn't notice any cross winds during drive, and again at lunch stop - no significant wind)
Going round trip kinda eliminates elevation change. Surprised that estimate range after charge (302, almost my max charge of 307) was pretty accurate.
This was primarily on US 85 (designated as CanAm Hwy). Mostly two lane. A little area of construction - a couple of one way stops for oncoming traffic. But well paved and marked.
Doesn't go directly to Dickinson, but I'm sure that it is used most of that way.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and Bighorn
I did Spearfish to Dickinson and back last week. This is in a Non-P Model Y with the Gemini wheels. Two adults, a 10 year old, and loaded up for a one week road trip. I typically drove ~3-4 mph over the speed limit.

Spearfish to Dickinson
  • Wind: Quartering headwind ~10mph
  • Temps: Low 80's
  • Departure Charge: 90%
  • Arrival Charge: 7%
  • Route: I took US-85 all the way to Belfield, ND and then I-94 east into Dickinson. This isn't the route Tesla nav recommends. It usually routes via US-85 to SD-168 to SD-79 to ND-22 which I've done before and is fine, but US-85 is more traveled and less remote.
  • 207.7 miles 294 Wh/mi
Dickinson to Spearfish
  • Wind: Quartering headwind (of course it has to be a headwind in both directions) ~10-20mph
  • Temps: Upper 80's
  • Departure Charge: 96%
  • Arrival Charge: 10%
  • Route: To skip interstate speeds, I took ND-22 south out of Dickinson to ND-21 west to US-85 south into Spearfish
  • I neglected to capture energy consumption/mileage
I never felt any range anxiety as once the car's estimate adjusted for the headwind, it stayed pretty steady throughout the duration of the trip in both directions. Probably not a route that I'd want to attempt in winter, though. Although it will be interesting to see how the MY's heat pump performs.

Hmmm... I usually use km range rather than percent so I can estimate how many range km I use for each km traveled. I took a day trip the other day, out and back - I got about the same (180wh/km = 288Wh/mi) into a similar headwind, and so used about 4:3 range vs. distance traveled. On the way back, to my relief, with the wind behind me I used almost exactly the range indicated (used 3 km more than the distance on a 160km trip), so arrived with only 50km left. I find with the indicated range it is a lot easier to spot-check on-going consumption rates with mental arithmetic. (Model 3 Dual/LR)

I assume your indicated trip is fairly flat, like us up north of you....? One of these days I'll have to get a feel for what hills do to range.