Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dickinson, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Usually not much. I've been to the "grand opening ceremony" for several Superchargers. At the one in Reno, the town government had someone deliver a speech and the Atlantis management talked as well...but there was no speech by anyone from Tesla. At other locations, such as Lone Tree, a bunch of Tesla owners gathered and the Tesla store in the mall had refreshments. For other locations, such as Loveland, the Tesla owners held an unofficial ribbon-cutting and ate lunch at the hotel restaurant.

I guess the uh.. ~4 of us in Dickinson can do something at the opening day? I wonder where it exactly will be constructed. I go grocery shopping there every week so I'll keep an eye out for anything new.

I'm amazed I haven't seen either of the two Tesla vehicles in Dickinson yet. I've been here for several years and I have a sharp eye for them, notice them all the time whenever I travel somewhere. Must be out and about at different times than me all this time! I've actually never even been inside one before, and only been next to a single Model X in person that was so tinted I couldn't see the interior. Been trying to hit up the Tesla store in the Twin Cities but it just never seems to work out. Went all electric years ago with anything yard related like lawn mowers and that was the tipping point to me getting fed up with an ICE vehicle. I'd have traded for a Tesla long ago but having to travel multiple times a year to the Twin Cities & Wisconsin has had me holding off until superchargers get installed.

Also of note, all electricity used in ND is produced in ND. The same cannot be said for the liquid fuels we use.

I like that we have a lot of wind power near the town, haven't looked what the wind farm actually puts out though or if they plan on expanding it. Seems ironic that we have a giant oil field here that makes over a million barrels a day, but barely any is turned into fuel in the state. I think the two refinery plants (Mandan and Dickinson) only process 10-15% of production in the state.

I guess the uh.. ~4 of us in Dickinson can do something at the opening day? I wonder where it exactly will be constructed. I go grocery shopping there every week so I'll keep an eye out for anything new.

I'm amazed I haven't seen either of the two Tesla vehicles in Dickinson yet. I've been here for several years and I have a sharp eye for them, notice them all the time whenever I travel somewhere. Must be out and about at different times than me all this time! I've actually never even been inside one before, and only been next to a single Model X in person that was so tinted I couldn't see the interior. Been trying to hit up the Tesla store in the Twin Cities but it just never seems to work out. Went all electric years ago with anything yard related like lawn mowers and that was the tipping point to me getting fed up with an ICE vehicle. I'd have traded for a Tesla long ago but having to travel multiple times a year to the Twin Cities & Wisconsin has had me holding off until superchargers get installed.

I like that we have a lot of wind power near the town, haven't looked what the wind farm actually puts out though or if they plan on expanding it. Seems ironic that we have a giant oil field here that makes over a million barrels a day, but barely any is turned into fuel in the state. I think the two refinery plants (Mandan and Dickinson) only process 10-15% of production in the state.
Private message me, we can get together and give you a proper Model S tour. One that is... well driven :)

United States - Maps - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
You can zoom in and click on all the installations to learn their capacities! Super cool.
300MW total for the two Brady wind farm installs (just South of Dickinson)

Reactions: Big Earl
This might not be the right place for my inquiry, but it seems to be the perfect group of people to ask...

I will be heading to South Dakota for the Sound of Silence Tesla Rally May 18-19. I am Strongly considering adventuring up to the Theodore Roosevelt National Park... then driving all the way across the state via I-94E (versus dropping back down to I-90). I don’t have to be back in Florida until the 29th. Impossible? Crazy? Or, worthwhile adventure?

Reactions: Fulkth
This might not be the right place for my inquiry, but it seems to be the perfect group of people to ask...

I will be heading to South Dakota for the Sound of Silence Tesla Rally May 18-19. I am Strongly considering adventuring up to the Theodore Roosevelt National Park... then driving all the way across the state via I-94E (versus dropping back down to I-90). I don’t have to be back in Florida until the 29th. Impossible? Crazy? Or, worthwhile adventure?
I don't have the local experience to help you but sounds like a worthwhile adventure to me. I hiked that NP 15 years ago and liked it quite a bit.

Reactions: Fulkth

Spearfish, SD (closest supercharger) to Medora, ND is ~200 miles, but as far as I know there are no chargers in western North Dakota anywhere, and lightfoot3b is probably the only electric vehicle owner on this side of the state with a charger set up in his garage. There are campgrounds going east of Bismarck (~150 miles east from Theodore Park) that have NEMA 14-50s that you can basically rent to use to charge, and if you make it to Fargo there is a Tesla Destination Charger at a hotel. If you stayed the night around Theodore Park you might be able to find a good RV spot to plug in your vehicle with an adapter in the park area?

Right now I'd say that trip is basically impossible, hence my excitement lately at the supercharger permits up here, especially in Dickinson! Even Volkswagen's Electrify America doesn't plan on coming up into North Dakota - we just don't get a lot of electric vehicle love up here. Lightfoot3b might know more than me though since he has a lot more experience in the area. I would mention it might be worth coming up to the park for a day, charging overnight for a day or two, then heading back south to Spearfish to use the supercharger there.

I grabbed a screenshot from ChargeHub, it shows the lack of electric vehicle use where I live:

upload_2018-5-6_10-8-48.png

Medora is a pretty good tourist town to hit while you are in the Theodore Roosevelt National Park South Unit if you do make it, it is right at the entrance to the park. I've gone there before just to go do something different and have fun for a day.

What is the Sound of Silence Tesla Rally like? Haven't been to anything like that before, is it the one taking place in Custer, SD?

Reactions: lightfoot3b

If you need to charge in Dickinson let me know. We will make it happen. 3 locations in Dickinson with a 14-50nema to use with your portable charger. I'm 90% sure the campground in Medora has them as well (friends have sent me pics of Tesla's charging there).

Spearfish, SD (closest supercharger) to Medora, ND is ~200 miles, but as far as I know there are no chargers in western North Dakota anywhere, and lightfoot3b is probably the only electric vehicle owner on this side of the state with a charger set up in his garage. There are campgrounds going east of Bismarck (~150 miles east from Theodore Park) that have NEMA 14-50s that you can basically rent to use to charge, and if you make it to Fargo there is a Tesla Destination Charger at a hotel. If you stayed the night around Theodore Park you might be able to find a good RV spot to plug in your vehicle with an adapter in the park area?

Right now I'd say that trip is basically impossible, hence my excitement lately at the supercharger permits up here, especially in Dickinson! Even Volkswagen's Electrify America doesn't plan on coming up into North Dakota - we just don't get a lot of electric vehicle love up here. Lightfoot3b might know more than me though since he has a lot more experience in the area. I would mention it might be worth coming up to the park for a day, charging overnight for a day or two, then heading back south to Spearfish to use the supercharger there.

I grabbed a screenshot from ChargeHub, it shows the lack of electric vehicle use where I live:

View attachment 299189

Medora is a pretty good tourist town to hit while you are in the Theodore Roosevelt National Park South Unit if you do make it, it is right at the entrance to the park. I've gone there before just to go do something different and have fun for a day.

What is the Sound of Silence Tesla Rally like? Haven't been to anything like that before, is it the one taking place in Custer, SD?
Yes, Custer, my first year attending (schedule + Spearfish SC open helped). If they had 50 last year I'm guessing it will be even bigger this year given the Model 3 excitement and many more S/X owners everywhere.

What are the chances the ND suoerchargers will be online by mid August? I’ll be driving out to Seattle with my X and I would love to go through ND and hopefully visit the Dinosaur Museum in Dickenson. :)
I'd say it's pretty unlikely that enough of them would be up and running to enable travel with an X75. An adventurous sole with an S100D might have a shot as they would only need Fargo and Dickinson and a lot of careful driving to make it possible. But outside of those two locations we don't even have any permits yet so I can't imagine it being possible with a shorter range. You would need those two plus two more in between to make it possible on superchargers alone.

Reactions: MarkoC
I too am driving to Seattle, in my case from Erin Wisconsin on the second leg of a long road trip starting in southern California. I would like at least one SC in the state to be able to cross ND (plus use of an overnight RV site if needed, sleeping in my Dreamcase). I leave WI on July 14 in my Tesla S 100D. Comments?
Peter B

With Tesla Superchargers, always assume 0.
(unfortunately) Agree.

I too am driving to Seattle, in my case from Erin Wisconsin on the second leg of a long road trip starting in southern California. I would like at least one SC in the state to be able to cross ND (plus use of an overnight RV site if needed, sleeping in my Dreamcase). I leave WI on July 14 in my Tesla S 100D. Comments?
Peter B
Always welcome to charge at my place whether that is hours to make it to the next stop or overnight to be full for morning.

If I hadn't been the force behind the ND location we wouldn't know about it here. My town can't get their building permit site updated without 3 prompts a month from me to fix it.

Well that is very kind of you but to get to Seattle quickly I am really going to need a SC somewhere in ND and in mid-July. My sense is that this is not going to happen.??
It is unlikely that any of the ND superchargers will be open by mid-July. Also you would need more than one. I would plan on taking I-90 if you want to stick with superchargers. Or plan on an adventure in ND :)