Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dickinson, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, Custer, my first year attending (schedule + Spearfish SC open helped). If they had 50 last year I'm guessing it will be even bigger this year given the Model 3 excitement and many more S/X owners everywhere.

Too bad I won't have my model 3 until near the end of the year at the earliest, guess I'll plan on going next year or maybe try to make it this year. I still plan on taking you up on that generous offer to give me a quick ride and tour of your S too :) Just been so busy lately with life and work. The household can't decide what color we want either, I think it will be an ever evolving discussion until the day we order. We need to see some in life examples so maybe I can convince the family to travel to the rally :)

I hope Tesla closes up I-94 this year. I'm amazed this town even has a working permit site, I don't even know how to find it on their main website, I was curious how you even found out. I wonder if the superchargers are going on the south side of the restaurants? That is a busy spot, I don't think I ever see it empty and people would be angry if Tesla steals it. Hopefully they put them a lane out from the restaurants or something. I work in the oil and gas industry and already get enough slack on going all electric in my life, I could just imagine the complaints if they stole the restaurant parking spots!

Been trying to check the map at least every few days, still let down there is no progress on Bismarck or Jamestown. Especially let down with the Bismarck area as the urban area there has around 100K people (small by normal standards, but big for North Dakota!). All the questions here show there is definitely interest to at least travel the area and visit the national parks!

Reactions: lightfoot3b
1. Awesome, come on down and say hi. My Dad is hoping to checkout a 3 at the event since he is scheduled for September-ish for his 3.

2. Me too! I know too many people, that's how :) They are the malls, not any certain places. They will be those north/south facing spots right by the drive up to order from the coffee place. Oh, take all the crap, as gas prices go up, resale goes down, EVs just keep looking better (assuming they have active battery management). It has been slow progress according to my source. Hence no updates. My only news was bad news of it not going quickly, but hey, the news is there is news. We had nothing at all for 4 years except me making noise and sending messages.

3. I don't have good insider info in Bis/Jamestown. Bismarck I have a solid contact base but not in the right areas to find out.

It is unlikely that any of the ND superchargers will be open by mid-July. Also you would need more than one. I would plan on taking I-90 if you want to stick with superchargers. Or plan on an adventure in ND :)
Ok thanks. Disappointing. I have driven across I-90 before and there are great places to see but I had been hoping to do ND. But I have so much else to see - route 66 CA to Chicago, and after Seattle up to Vancouver and DC before taking mostly the Pacific coast home to La Quinta, CA
Peter

Reactions: MarkoC
Any word yet on start of construction for Dickinson?
Actually yes. Everything is ready. The paperwork is complete, the surveys have been completed, the permits are all clear.

Tesla is holding it up. It appears they want to come across i-94 essentially in one run and not leave "islands" of charge points. Alexandria MN would look to be the hold up as they have been in talks with Tesla the longest.

Now for my part. Could I ask that each of you with a reason to come across ND send a message to the supercharger team that is thought out, courteous, and filled with facts.
[email protected]

We are so close... yet so far.

Tesla is holding it up. It appears they want to come across i-94 essentially in one run and not leave "islands" of charge points. Alexandria MN would look to be the hold up as they have been in talks with Tesla the longest..

As completely annoying as that must be ... you can kind of understand it. You don't want people trying to make a big gap that is a just a bit too far for their vehicle and running out of juice :(

Can they start from the western end?

Awesome. Just to clarify (and I'm not doubting you-I'm sure the answer is yes, but let's get it out there), you have word directly from Tesla that this is the holdup?

I'll send a message. Just getting Dickenson would be a great help for those of us wanting to come up from Denver.

As completely annoying as that must be ... you can kind of understand it. You don't want people trying to make a big gap that is a just a bit too far for their vehicle and running out of juice :(

Can they start from the western end?
Sure, but having nothing for 3 years is far worse than a couple people not having the ability to plan once ;)

I brought that up. I was met with essentially no response. I don't know if that means not an option or just not how it will be done or something else altogether. If Fargo goes in, Fargo to Clearwater would not be the longest jump they ever had (I'm betting, don't know for a fact) but I can tell you I've made this trip before and even one hairy trip from the MSP service center directly to Fargo in a P85.

So please, more letters to Tesla asking them to move on this! Thanks!

Awesome. Just to clarify (and I'm not doubting you-I'm sure the answer is yes, but let's get it out there), you have word directly from Tesla that this is the holdup?

I'll send a message. Just getting Dickenson would be a great help for those of us wanting to come up from Denver.
Not in direct "They are the problem" language. But in, we don't want to leave islands so we need to work on the ones that are holding up moving down i-94. So not exactly tough to read into :)

I sent an email this am. Stressed the point that even on its own, Dickinson would enable us Coloradans to get to Teddy Roosevelt NP and to Bismarck, both of which are nigh impossible today.
Thank you! Keep the messages going to them.

If Fargo goes in, Fargo to Clearwater would not be the longest jump they ever had (I'm betting, don't know for a fact)

Certainly true :)

upload_2018-5-30_20-18-10.png

Actually yes. Everything is ready. The paperwork is complete, the surveys have been completed, the permits are all clear.

Now for my part. Could I ask that each of you with a reason to come across ND send a message to the supercharger team that is thought out, courteous, and filled with facts.
[email protected]

Sent off an email myself here today over lunch, isn't my first to them asking about North Dakota Superchargers :) I made sure to mention Dickinson for those wanting to come up to the National Park along with it opening up access to Bismarck.

Reactions: Zaxxon
Hope this SC is in by Jun of 2019. Plan on going up into CA, and then on to Vancouver, WA. I have asked tesla a few times for this route to be completed. Been to DC, Twin Cities, FL, in the last 3 yrs. also, the Quad cities 4 times, all from Phoenix,AZ. 48,000 miles. Love the Model S. Born in Dickinson,ND.

FYI - my interest is the I-29 route to Winnipeg. Not quite the same concerns as listed above, but I sent an email. I hope to see something in (at least) Fargo, Grand Forks, Pembina, Winnipeg. Maybe Watertown SD too.
There is an owner with interest to have an SC in Wahpeton to facilitate North/South Travel, but it is a little off of i-29 so I don't think it would be as easy of a sell to Tesla to put one there, but at least they wouldn't have a big fight over getting it built. Sort of the same idea of wanting one in Watertown but for ND.

Sent off an email myself here today over lunch, isn't my first to them asking about North Dakota Superchargers :) I made sure to mention Dickinson for those wanting to come up to the National Park along with it opening up access to Bismarck.
I just sent an email as well. I hope to travel to Mandan ND for the 4th of July from Minneapolis, MN and then back home in Denver, CO. I could really use the Alexandria, MN, Fargo, Bismarck and Dickinson chargers up but it will be a stretch to get all of those by July 4.

I just sent an email as well. I hope to travel to Mandan ND for the 4th of July from Minneapolis, MN and then back home in Denver, CO. I could really use the Alexandria, MN, Fargo, Bismarck and Dickinson chargers up but it will be a stretch to get all of those by July 4.
It would be a stretch to get any of them by 4th of July. None of them are even under construction yet.

I stopped down to City Hall today, I was able to see the completed permit and the renderings. There are eight stalls with the typical 7 stalls back in and one stall you pull straight into. The permit is completed and paid for and no one from Tesla has picked it up yet and it has been completed 4 weeks. The people at City Hall were quite surprised no one has picked it up yet.

I stopped down to City Hall today, I was able to see the completed permit and the renderings. There are eight stalls with the typical 7 stalls back in and one stall you pull straight into. The permit is completed and paid for and no one from Tesla has picked it up yet and it has been completed 4 weeks. The people at City Hall were quite surprised no one has picked it up yet.

Wow that is quite a delay. Would you be able to share where the stalls will be located at exactly? Also Alexandria must really be holding things up, maybe Bismarck and Jamestown are having issues too? I still haven't received a response on my email to Tesla Superchargers either.

Last edited:
Wow that is quite a delay. Would you be able to share where the stalls will be located at exactly? Also Alexandria must really be holding things up, maybe Bismarck and Jamestown are having issues too? I still haven't received a response on my email to Tesla Superchargers either.
Yep, pin pointed on the supercharger.info map with exact GPS. Let me grab a pic from google if available.:
Red area equal charger stand area.
Yellow area is where the cars will park to charge.
Blue box is the inverter area.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RQ6pgCSpsOk4FGwn2

Reactions: Fulkth