Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dickinson, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check out the latest pics of Winnipeg. They have the tent enclosures for all-weather work if it's just wiring that needs doing. As long as the ground work is done, the rest does not need good weather.

They can pay construction companies to build a tent and burn propane for heat. However, tents don't usually extend to overhead lines and other areas used for the final connection. Local utilities often have rules against outside work being done below a certain temperature, unless there is an emergency.

Yes sorry I was thinking of Tesla equipment install work. For the public power utility, it's all up to them. What I've seen in posts from Winnipeg to Calgary is that the power company is not the hold-up in the process, most transformers are ready already; its the white boxes and pedestals that hold things up (so easy to tent over those). Hope this is true down there in ND as well.

Reactions: RiverBrick
My current theory (subject to change) is that they will do the big splash within hours of the Q3 financial report, which would be early October. There is a growing list of Supercharger sites under construction that have everything but pedestals. Not just Canada or North Dakota.
I thought I'd take this opportunity to say that my theory of info release at the Q3 report was wrong.
My, much more mundane, working theory is that there is simply a shortage of pedestals. While they have made an effort to not leave individual superchargers on an island for too long, they have never done a big "splash" opening an entire route at once to public fanfare. Why would we think they would be doing that now?
... and this one seems to be a bit off too.
My current theory is that they are building a string of superchargers and are waiting for "construction complete" status on all before commissioning any of them.

Opinion still subject to change, but my predict-O-meter seems to have less mojo.

It's also possible that we're absorbing all the production up here; they have been installing SC units (but not turned on yet) from Calgary to Sudbury across the trans-Canada highway. The pedestals are even going in for the last 2 months. (Latest update - Winnipeg finished, doing the Brandon MB install in -19C weather) Possibly when we're done, ND/I-94 is next? But the splash announcement "we are turning on the Trans-Canada" is probably going to have a bigger impact in terms of travel and news value.

Hey, it looks like we're the guinea pigs for the new hardware. You'll get yours when we can say it works reliably. (The installations opened a few days ago but seem to have been up and down since then. Presumably feedback from up here will go back to the V3 assembly line...)

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz
Agree with this but I think both scenarios are unlikely. Obviously I-94 hasn't been a priority even when it would give them considerably good PR by "completing" the interstate system. Providing a convenient connection from Saskatchewan to I-94 and/or lighting up US Highway 2 in ND have to be an even lower priorities. As an aside, Highway 2 in NE Montana is one of the most desolate parts of the US. Even ICE drivers have range anxiety there.

A lot is going to change in 2020. After Canada gets their route 1 supercharged, US route 2 is quietly getting supercharged. From Mackinaw City, MI to Monroe, WA is 2090 miles on route 2. With 9 superchargers already in place or planned, that is one supercharger for every 261 miles on average. In September of 2020, a Raven Model S could travel route 2 with just a few overnight Nema stops, camping in North Dakota is delightful, after all.

Mackinaw City, MI
Escanaba, MI
Duluth, MN
Grand Forks, ND
Shelby, MT
Kalispel, MT
Spokane, WA
Leavenworth, WA
Monroe, WA

Shelby, MT to Fort Peck is 280 miles.
Fort Peck to Minot is 268 miles

Minot has to be on the short list for a upcoming expansion.

Last edited:
A lot is going to change in 2020. After Canada gets their route 1 supercharged, US route 2 is quietly getting supercharged. From Mackinaw City, MI to Monroe, WA is 2090 miles on route 2. With 9 superchargers already in place or planned, that is one supercharger for every 261 miles on average. In September of 2020, a Raven Model S could travel route 2 with just a few overnight Nema stops, camping in North Dakota is delightful, after all.

Mackinaw City, MI
Escanaba, MI
Duluth, MN
Grand Forks, ND
Shelby, MT
Kalispel, MT
Spokane, WA
Leavenworth, WA
Monroe, WA

Shelby, MT to Fort Peck is 280 miles.
Fort Peck to Minot is 268 miles

Minot has to be on the short list for a upcoming expansion.
You start by saying US2 is getting supercharged in 2020. Then you list a bunch of supercharger locations (some already open and some in construction or permit stage) that may be tangentally along US2 but were put in place to serve various interstates and other purposes. I have seen no evidence that US2 travel will be enabled by superchargers any time soon. If you have evidence, please provide it.