Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dothan, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dothan has been on the shortlist for Tesla and wishlist for everyone else nearby for a while now. Last update I could find was Jan ‘22 @ Target. I passed through Dothan a few weeks ago and couldn’t see a site being prepped. Columbus GA site took a decent amount of time to complete so I assume a Jan deadline means starting very soon.

Does anyone have updates on the project? Much needed charging location

A call to the city planner yielded zero info. Strongly considering an independent charging center near Publix and my business. Anyone know the revenue side?
Not much revenue in fast charging. Relatively poor throughput, relatively low cost of electricity, and significant demand charges make it a tough way to make money (demand charges can be reduced with on-site storage, but then you have significant capital costs). The best you can hope for is that it will attract customers to your site that will be captive for about 30 minutes so you can sell them much higher margin services.

The other warning I would give you about independent charging centers is that I really think you need to be part of a network these days to make it work so that costs associated with maintenance, spare parts, back-end billing and just general overhead can be shared across a much larger network. That's not to say you couldn't work with ChargePoint or even Greenlots if you really wanted to retain control over your operation.

BTW, I do think a grocery store is an excellent venue for fast charging stations, particularly in dense suburban areas where you have a lot of apartment units and home charging would be challenging for people.

Reactions: mociaf9
Dothan has been on the shortlist for Tesla and wishlist for everyone else nearby for a while now. Last update I could find was Jan ‘22 @ Target. I passed through Dothan a few weeks ago and couldn’t see a site being prepped. Columbus GA site took a decent amount of time to complete so I assume a Jan deadline means starting very soon.

Where were you able to find Jan 22 deadline? Been checking Tesla's website for the past couple of quarters and all it says is 2022. Meanwhile, when I was checking on Montgomery Site, it changed from 2021 to Q4 2021 and sure enough, it opened in that time frame. I seriously need Tesla to open it in Dothan, Please, Mr. Tesla.

Was the update Target Q1 2022? That means the target date of completion is Q1 2022, not that it will be placed at a Target store.

Note that this site has been "Coming Soon" since I bought my Tesla in 2017 so I wouldn't get optimistic about this one. Every year it gets pushed back.

I did find that Dothan does have a pair of CHADEMO/CCS chargers that are rated 10 on Plugshare.... if only Tesla would release that NA CCS adapter.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Note that this site has been "Coming Soon" since I bought my Tesla in 2017 so I wouldn't get optimistic about this one. Every year it gets pushed back.

I did find that Dothan does have a pair of CHADEMO/CCS chargers that are rated 10 on Plugshare.... if only Tesla would release that NA CCS adapter.

It does have a CCS site but it's only 62.5 kW.

I always set the "Minimum Power" to 120kW so that I'm looking at CCS options that are more comparable to the Supercharger network. It's good to have the other ones, but that's really last choice options.

• Funny
Reactions: ChrisC
The big Tesla leak of this week showed the following address as the (possible) future site here:

1151 Ross Clark Circle
Dothan AL 36301

That is the site of a Winn-Dixie grocery store.
There is also one listed for Montgomery Highway (NW and SE make sense). No address but there are 2 coming soon pins, both with Q1 2023 timelines. There is still the grey pin behind the highlighted pin once you click. Guess we need to look at the written list along with just the pins on the map.
1665362559626.png

There is also one listed for Montgomery Highway (NW and SE make sense). No address but there are 2 coming soon pins, both with Q1 2023 timelines. There is still the grey pin behind the highlighted pin once you click. Guess we need to look at the written list along with just the pins on the map.
View attachment 861845
I really hope there will be two locations. Since Dothan is a circle, one supercharger won’t conveniently accommodate all through traffic. If there is a Montgomery Highway location, I’m betting on the Target.

I really hope there will be two locations. Since Dothan is a circle, one supercharger won’t conveniently accommodate all through traffic. If there is a Montgomery Highway location, I’m betting on the Target.
There is no way Dothan is getting two at least for now. The initial pins that get placed on the map are just placeholders and don't indicate exact locations. Saw the same thing when Montgomery and St Pete both finally got their superchargers.

Reactions: Jeremy3292