Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Downey CA - Stonewood Street (LIVE 28 Jun 2018, 12 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right after the first Downey Supercharger location opened (Lakewood Blvd), a 2nd Downey location is almost complete. It is in the South parking lot of Stonewood Shopping Center, adjacent to Firestone Blvd. There are 12 Supercharger pedestals. Curious that this new one is so close to the other. I took the picture through the fencing that surrounds the site.

20180612_154621.jpg

20180612_154621.jpg

How ironic, it's right across from a Toyota dealership. This might be the new normal for Tesla in CA; charging at routinely spaced everywhere possible, especially malls. They are preparing for an onslaught of 500,000 model 3s.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Probably just a case of not being able to get either enough parking spaces or enough electrical supply to a single location. If they are on different substations it may also help in case of grid failure too.
They are, in fact, served from different substations.

Perhaps Tesla is spreading out these stations for the same reason the Boring Company plans to have a number of smaller stations. Easier to find a station near to your location and easier to enter/exit without as much congestion.

I'm curious what happens at "Bradley plastic bag..."
Plastic bags are illegal in California, while marijuana is legal. I will try to stop by later today to check it out, but given that humans enjoy flaunting the law, I suspect Bradley is actually selling marijuana, but is attracting customers by advertising highly illegal plastic bags. Welcome to California.

(Moderator note: this post and the reply to it were merged into this thread)

The new Downey Supercharging Station at Stonewood Mall is now open for use. 12 stations with “30 minute General Parking” sign posted. It’s across from Kohl’s at Firestone Blvd.

Attachments

• E38FF769-C884-4630-9F33-86236367DFDE.jpeg
    E38FF769-C884-4630-9F33-86236367DFDE.jpeg
    795.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I remember seeing it show up on the map and thinking, am I crazy because I'm pretty sure there wasn't two super chargers this close to each other before. Saw plenty of people already using it!
Yes this is somewhat unusual. But certainly good news for travelers on I5 through the LA area.

As soon as this location appears on Tesla’s map I will correct the thread title to show the site name.