Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Downtown Austin, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The article received it's suspected location "according to the Tesla website".

So, yah, probably not the exact final location.

And the restaurant thing... grasping at straws.

Heck, the article doesn't even mention that one nearly open that just had the transformer placed. Except, in the north loop neighborhood. Probably someones driveway :)

• Funny
Reactions: CarlS
The article received it's suspected location "according to the Tesla website".

So, yah, probably not the exact final location.

And the restaurant thing... grasping at straws.

Heck, the article doesn't even mention that one nearly open that just had the transformer placed. Except, in the north loop neighborhood. Probably someones driveway :)
Yep. Rushed to assume they had some breaking city news!

I visited the Tesla service center in north Austin the other day, and asked about the proposed downtown location. One of the folks there said they thought it would be down around the Second street district, near the new Torchy's. That is some seriously pricey land in that area, and seemed unlikely to me.

I visited the Tesla service center in north Austin the other day, and asked about the proposed downtown location. One of the folks there said they thought it would be down around the Second street district, near the new Torchy's. That is some seriously pricey land in that area, and seemed unlikely to me.
Tesla doesn't purchase the land to build the superchargers on. Most of the time, if they are paying anything at all to lease the parking stalls, they are charged a relatively small amount (compared to the "market" prices for a similar lease) because they are seen as bringing value/customers to the location host.

Where the heck would they put them? I work down by there and I have no idea where they would go. The seaholm garage is already over capacity and I go in there a lot to go to Trader Joes and parking is a pain. It could be in the library I guess? The Northshore might have room but who knows. (Torchy's is in Northshore).

About the only place down here that has ample parking in my mind is either the Hyatt or Hooters just south of the lake. Those would both be a good location.

Actually the more I think about this I think Barton Square mall would be a poor choice for a supercharger. Why you might ask? Because if you are travelling through Austin between Houston and maybe Fredericksburg it would really stink to have to get up into the mall parking lot. That is a pain the butt traffic area and the intersections to get into the mall would be difficult to navigate for someone outside the area. I also found when travelling long distance mall superchargers took me WAY more time because my wife and daughter turned it into a shopping trip. Plus I spent more because mall food is more expensive than the same restaurant free standing.

As an alternative I think either Target or Walmart parking lots would be better on the 290/Mopac intersection. Another option would be the Specs parking lot near Brodie or across the street in either strip mall. Either way I won't be complaining about a supercharger down here. I am just trying to think through what would be good for long distance travelers with food/shopping and also easy for locals and big enough parking lots where the edge of the lot doesn't get used much.

This brings up a good point... Wouldn't it be awesome if Tesla actually contacted local clubs to ask for options on where to put superchargers? I would think it would be helpful even though procuring land or space would drive the decision of course.

I agree with you in general. However, Barton Creek Mall just announced a major renovation. They might be inclined to add chargers to make you stay around longer. :)

Yeah still doesn't solve the access issues. The mall is really strange too because it has that perimeter road that has another half perimeter road. It is just confusing and isn't obvious where it is at from the main road. Plus getting the right exit, in traffic, to go the right direction is a pain.

On my road trip I found the mall stop we made was the least desirable. I preferred the strip mall locations that had a couple restaurant pads.

Reactions: CarlS