Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dows, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran across this proposal from Iowa to Electrify America (VW) in which they did outreach to find sites interested in hosting level 3 charging stations. One of the sites was Dows Junction, a truck stop on I-35 which is just about the only suitable site in the area. Since Dows has a Coming Soon pin on Tesla's Find Us map, I called them up. The manager of Dows Junction said that they had an agreement with Tesla in place, and she thought construction was supposed to begin in April but it hasn't started yet.

Dows Junction
904 Cardinal Avenue
Dows, IA 50071
Map

Cool! Iowa is already greater-than-30% wind powered for its electricity, which I think might be the highest in the country, and they plan to be at 90% at some not-too-distant date in the future (does anyone know what the target date/year is?). All those midwest states have the potential to become THE major source of electricity for the country. Taking the lead on charging infrastructure and promoting EVs would help and ultimately bring a lot of money into Iowa.

Dows, IA

Interstates: I-35
US Numbered Interstates (<=5mi): None

I-35
To: Albert Lea, MN 75 miles
Diversion: 1 mile
To: Oakdale, MN - 173 miles

To: Madison, WI (I-35,US-20,US-151,US-18,I-90,US-151) - 276 miles
To: Pleasant Prairie, WI (I-35,US-20,WI-11,US-12,WI-50,I-94) - 330 miles
To: Rockford, IL (I-35,US-20) - 273 miles
To: Coralville, IA (I-35,US-20,I-380,I-80) - 158 miles
To: Columbia, MO (I-35,IA-163,US-63,IA-T61,IA-202,MO-202,US-63,I-70) - 313 miles
To: Lusk, WY** (I-35,US-20) - 623 miles

* There's also Independence, MO (Kansas City, MO), but that's a large diversion.
** There isn't much on US-20, but Google says that it's the fastest route. Sioux City, IA is on US-20, as well as I-29 and is listed on Tesla's 2017 map. Sioux City, IA has a mall on US-20/US-75 with a SCHEELS***. The Springfield, IL Supercharger is also at a SCHEELS***
*** Don't blame me, they stylize it that way.

File_003.jpeg File_004.jpeg
Greetings!

Just stopped to fuel up Saturday evening and took some photos of the construction in progress. I estimate there is at least a week of work done at the site. The SC units are still in the crates and the electrical is being roughed in. Concrete work is started.
8 SC stalls are marked out on the back side of the curb, one being a pull-in spot for a vehicle towing.

New to the TMC site. Problem getting photos to upload. I was able to post some photos that were under 2mb. I have a couple more.

Next time we Go to Humboldt we will have to go the long way just to give it a try. This is very good news for us in the winter. Now if only they could get the Shelby, Iowa supercharger started we'd be golden :D
I don't get the point of Shelby. The Council Bluffs SC is, what, 30 miles? And Des Moines is only 85 miles away. Mind you, I'm happy about any SC that goes in. It just seems there are still lots of other gaps that would have a higher priority.