Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dows, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pic's source: ilikethefinerthings

XsXwa7q.jpg

I don't get the point of Shelby. The Council Bluffs SC is, what, 30 miles? And Des Moines is only 85 miles away. Mind you, I'm happy about any SC that goes in. It just seems there are still lots of other gaps that would have a higher priority.

I sense dissatisfaction with this decision? Look at map. The Shelby supercharger will enable people to go straight north on US 59 to I-90 supercharger. Right now it's not possible to make it without going through Des Moines. That's the same reason for the upcoming Sioux City supercharger. We patiently wait for a Supercharger between Omaha and Kansas City.

I sense dissatisfaction with this decision? Look at map. The Shelby supercharger will enable people to go straight north on US 59 to I-90 supercharger. Right now it's not possible to make it without going through Des Moines. That's the same reason for the upcoming Sioux City supercharger. We patiently wait for a Supercharger between Omaha and Kansas City.

Well, if they actually put it in Avoca, IA then it'd be on US-59.

But I think that Shelby, IA is about two things:
- shortens the gap between West Des Moines, IA and Council Bluffs, which at 119 miles could easily get tough in plains winter.
- will makes the connection to Sioux City, IA without diversion
Tesla plans Sioux City, IA and Sioux Falls, SD by the end of this year.

Just reporting that my wife stopped and charged at Dows yesterday, July 5, near the end of a long road trip from BC. One pedestal was not working, but all others were. She reported that the landscaping was still being done!

This site is great for us travelling from the I-90 route to/from Fairfield, IA, where we have many friends. It avoids the detour from I-35 to West Des Moines. Eventually we would prefer the I-29 route, once something around Sioux City gets built.

We stopped at the Dows SC last month. Far removed from populated areas but a real oasis. The petro stop has a gift store, Arby's, etc. and across the road is a nice, rather large Rest Area. While charging, a local farmer stopped by and said he and a couple of his friends could not figure out where the credit card reader was located.

Dows no longer appears as online on the Tesla find up map though it did a few weeks ago. Anyone charge there recently?
I charged there on the 24th. No issues, one other Model S was already there and left a few minutes after I plugged in.

Plugshare has the supercharger listed strangely but the Tesla nav was fine other than missing the occupancy information.

Interesting that Dows was chosen. Ames surely should get one soon.
And with Waterloo and Sioux City with Permits, one more charger is needed along US 20 - Dows is a bit far north for that, and Fort Dodge doesn't seem ideal either.

Interesting that Dows was chosen. Ames surely should get one soon.
And with Waterloo and Sioux City with Permits, one more charger is needed along US 20 - Dows is a bit far north for that, and Fort Dodge doesn't seem ideal either.

I think Dows was chosen simply because it was halfway between the West Des Moines SC and the Albert Lea SC with no real regard to anything else because yeah, its a half-hour detour if you want to use it if you're travelling East/West on 20.
One possibility for a SC location between Waterloo and Sioux City would be Early since its already getting a 160kw CCS charger as part of the build out of MidAmerican's network, and it would make it easier to get to Okoboji from the south.

I'm biased towards Early because it would make it so much easier to get to and from Storm Lake.

Reactions: S3XY T