Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dublin, CA - Dublin Boulevard (LIVE 29 Oct 2021, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't read too much into the thread title...it's updated manually by yours truly. Maybe I didn't count correctly before? I can't remember and I'm too lazy to go back and check old photos.

Looks like you've accounted for 10 in your photos, so I'll go ahead and change the count in the thread title. It doesn't matter a whole lot until they finish the installation and turn it on.

Bruce.
There's picture, way back in this thread, of a Tesla sign announcing several upcoming Supercharger sites and their sizes, and Dublin was listed as 14. I strongly suspect that's where the number in the title came from.

No real progress: no transformer; the steel plates behind the Target store are still there. The stack of unused pedestals has been removed. The landscaping seems to be flourishing; will PG&E deliver the transformer before Mother Nature reclaims this site as her own?

Attachments

• IMG_8037.jpg
    IMG_8037.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_8038.jpg
    IMG_8038.jpg
    933.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8039.jpg
    IMG_8039.jpg
    901.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_8040.jpg
    IMG_8040.jpg
    827.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8041.jpg
    IMG_8041.jpg
    818.8 KB · Views: 92
10 V2 stalls aren’t going to change that. You need 40+ V3 to relieve 4 sites with queues (and one closed). The 5 sites on the map account for 82 chargers. Increasing capacity 12% isn’t going to do much (you can see what happens when 25% of capacity is offline). Increasing 50% would be a good start to get ahead of the ever increasing amount of Teslas on the road.

• Informative
Reactions: DoItDiff
Some new permit activity. A site development review waiver (PLOC-2021-00067) was submitted today with the following summary. Not sure if this is to catch up the permits with previous work or if this is removal of more chargers. Definitely confirms PG&E capacity issues at this location.

Modifications to approved Tesla EV Supercharging Station at Target (eliminate 4 Tesla charging stations, eliminate 4 future charging stations (remove posts and electrical supply)) Changes due to limitations on PG&E power available. No landscape changes.

There was a resubmit of the general permit about a week ago too, back on 7/13. It was permit BLDG-2021-01272 and is still pending. Hopefully this means they're trying to wrap things up and get moving on it again.

IMG_8233.JPGIMG_8234.JPG
No visible progress: no transformer, and the steel plates are still in place where the repaved trench from the transformer pad meets the Target building. I suppose Q3 2021 is still possible, but I wouldn't take any bets on this glacially-slow site build.

The trenching leads to the existing transformer that presumably feeds Target's store. My guess/theory is that Tesla wants to tap into the power that also goes into that transformer, and the PG&E limit mentioned above means there wasn't enough capacity to support both Target and an 18-Supercharger Tesla site. So the number of chargers went down to 14 and now 10. If so, I'm surprised they didn't switch to Urban Superchargers, which is what I've seen at some other Target stores.

The trenching leads to the existing transformer that presumably feeds Target's store. My guess/theory is that Tesla wants to tap into the power that also goes into that transformer, and the PG&E limit mentioned above means there wasn't enough capacity to support both Target and an 18-Supercharger Tesla site. So the number of chargers went down to 14 and now 10. If so, I'm surprised they didn't switch to Urban Superchargers, which is what I've seen at some other Target stores.
Tesla could easily cap total demand for a Supercharger at any rate they chose for V3s via software - and probably easier than V2s / Urbans since V3s are all tied together with a 1000VDC bus so each cabinet can share power with other cabinets.

Never mind that while 4 urban plugs top out at 75 kW * 4 = 300 kW, 4 V3 plugs top out at 350 kW per cabinet, so it's not much difference. Must be something else going on...

Still no transformer, so this site won't meet its 3rd-quarter calendar goal. I'd describe progress as glacial, but that would be insulting to glaciers. :)

Around the back of the Target store, the pavement has been renewed, hiding the residual hints of the trench between the two transformer locations. The parking stripes have also been repainted, including over the steel plates. Is this a hint that Target knows that these steel plates are going to be there a long time?

IMG_8252.JPGIMG_8253.JPG

Still no transformer, so this site won't meet its 3rd-quarter calendar goal. I'd describe progress as glacial, but that would be insulting to glaciers. :)

Around the back of the Target store, the pavement has been renewed, hiding the residual hints of the trench between the two transformer locations. The parking stripes have also been repainted, including over the steel plates. Is this a hint that Target knows that these steel plates are going to be there a long time?

View attachment 716518View attachment 716519
Looks like they also reclaimed the Supercharger pedestals from the jungle, er, I mean the landscaping.

Bruce.

Charged here earlier this afternoon, as shown in this post:

Wiki - Superchargers Visited

There's something about the stall occupancy that's a little weird...in my observation, it seemed like the number of available stalls is correct, but somehow the total number of stalls fluctuates to match the number of available stalls. There really are a total of 10 stalls at this location.

This might possibly be the last new V2 Supercharger location to go on-line.

Bruce.

Last edited: