Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dublin, CA - Dublin Boulevard (LIVE 29 Oct 2021, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There should be a "sad panda" voting option on this forum...

Anyway, "hopefully" this means they are upgrading to V3. But this one has been sitting around for so long, makes me wonder if they are just abandoning it; and repurposing the unused equipment for spare parts.

Reactions: miimura
How strange. Does anyone know of another Supercharger site abandoned before completion? Hopefully they just decided to upgrade to v3.

Calabasas, but they only had equipment staged on site...hadn’t done any significant amount of actual installation.

(There’s a thread for that, but I’m too lazy to look for it on my iPad.)

Bruce.

How strange. Does anyone know of another Supercharger site abandoned before completion? Hopefully they just decided to upgrade to v3.
There's a double location in the UK (Brighouse Northbound and Southbound) where it was totally constructed but they have been unable to get the necessary okay to run power to it underneath a neighboring property (golf course). Not sure whether that one has officially been abandoned or is still slowly working it's way towards eventual activation, but in about 2 more months it'll have been "in construction" for 4 years now. In the US, there was a site in Greenville, SC that was well into construction when Tesla got caught in the middle of a lawsuit between the host property owner and the neighboring property. That location was eventually dropped, the hardware that had been installed was removed, and the site returned to its original status.

Maybe they are waiting for more demand. The 20 stalls on the other side of the interstate, the 12 stalls 2 miles west on 580, and the 10 other stalls 3 miles west on 580 all don't seem to be filling up like they used to.

The nearby stalls are 72kW. I haven't tried to use them. The last time I was near them was the holiday season before the pandemic, and the entire shopping center was such a mess that getting anywhere near it was an ordeal.

Even if the others are being used less right now during a pandemic, that doesn't reflect what might be the case in a few months when people are vaccinated and go back to taking road trips.

My father lives very close to that station, and doesn't have a Tesla. If he did, he'd most likely do almost all charging from home, but I think he'd pull the trigger a lot faster if that station were open. Even if he doesn't use it, it would help sales. Availability of Superchargers was a factor for me in 2014, even though I expected to charge from home and had no clue if I'd take road trips.

The nearby stalls are 72kW. I haven't tried to use them. The last time I was near them was the holiday season before the pandemic, and the entire shopping center was such a mess that getting anywhere near it was an ordeal.

Even if the others are being used less right now during a pandemic, that doesn't reflect what might be the case in a few months when people are vaccinated and go back to taking road trips.

My father lives very close to that station, and doesn't have a Tesla. If he did, he'd most likely do almost all charging from home, but I think he'd pull the trigger a lot faster if that station were open. Even if he doesn't use it, it would help sales. Availability of Superchargers was a factor for me in 2014, even though I expected to charge from home and had no clue if I'd take road trips.
There are 150kW units at the Dublin SC and all up and down 680 (2 Superchagers in San Ramon, Walnut Creek, Concord). And even the 72 kW are at Home Depot. By the time I go over and wander the aisles looking at tools and the latest home gadgets the car is charged. Same thing with the 20 chargers across the street in the Outlet malls. The lines at Starbucks are long enough to let you charge most cars even at 72 kW. And then there are the tons of Asian restaurants kitty-corner from the Outlet Mall.

Regarding what traffic will be like in the future, I am not sure. So many people are moving out to the East Bay from SV and SF. Much of this is because they no longer have to commute as companies make work from home the standard versus the exception. We are seeing homes sell in days for 200K over asking completely off-market. It is sort of like you have to know someone to buy a house. Every time the buyer is someone that used to commute down to the Valley or City to work at Google, Salesforce, Facebook, etc. They want to have no commute, more land, and better schools for their kids.

Last edited:
I was driving home around 1:30pm Saturday yesterday. The in car nav showed The premium outlet 72kw were completely full, pleasanton next to In&out was down to 1 available, and dublin was 2 available. We definitely saturates the 580/680 corridor. I agree with Sunol or Fremont 680 side. All the chargers in Fremont are 880 side. Tesla, if you read this, please install 8-12 chargers along the 680 corridor from Dublin down to Milpitas!

Update: First, the pedestal bases for the pedestals on the north side of the bushes have all been removed. The places where they used to be look like they're filled in with landscaping. This shouldn't be a huge surprise.

IMG_6915.JPG

Slightly more interesting... There is construction going on to the west. Fencing, equipment, and trench plating imply an underground conduit from a transformer next to Target going to the location we think is a transformer pad for the Supercharger. So maybe a sign of progress?

IMG_6913.JPG

IMG_6914.JPG

I didn't stop to count, but what's left looks like about 8 V2 pedestals (whatever's left on the south side of the bushes, plus the one at the corner of Target). There are probably better pictures upthread from the original installation.

Bruce.

PS. And let's try to stay on-topic with this thread, which is about the Supercharger installation happening in Dublin at the Fallon Gateway shopping center.

Last edited:
Updated Permit activity. A sub-permit to the original was submitted yesterday. Seems PG&E capacity was the limiting factor after all. Aligns with the recent work there that was spotted. As of last weekend no major changes other then the boring was complete and repaired over but no transformer yet. Maybe a month or two away depending on PG&Es schedule.

BLDR-2021-00049

"Adjustment of existing Tesla EV Supercharging station, due to PG&E service limiting the number of stalls to be serviced. Target @ Fallon Gateway"

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 8.56.25 AM.png

Pretty annoying that construction of this location started right after the V3 launch but since it was designated before, it's only gonna be V2. This is most likely one of the only V2 chargers opening right now and it's only gonna be 8 stalls. Does very little to help owners in East Bay.
My opinion only: It'll be plenty helpful and it'll get used because people (many but not all of them East Bay residents) come to this shopping center. Whether it's V2, V3, or Urban, any Supercharger installation helps.

Bruce.

1. One pedestal remains on the north row. The eight precast pedestals are still there, but they've been moved to the other end of the row (perhaps to free up access to that one remaining pedestal). (Can you call it a "row" if there's only one pedestal? :))
2. That leaves ten pedestals total: One remaining on the north row, eight on the south row, and one across the roadway, next to the non-Tesla pedestals (i.e., nearer to the Target building). But the thread title says 14 stalls.
3. The fence around the trenching between the empty Tesla transformer pad and the Target transformer area has been removed. The trench, until close to the Target building, has been cleanly repaved. However, trench plating is still in place near the Target building, over the sidewalk and the adjacent pavement. Until the work in this area is completed, it seems unlikely a transformer would get installed.
IMG_7327.JPGIMG_7328.JPGIMG_7330.JPGIMG_7331.JPGIMG_7332.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Janus and mociaf9
My wife was over at Gum Kuo this morning to pick up some take-out lunch. She reports "no change". (I figure she's been to this site with me enough times that she knows where the transformer pad is, and she'd recognize a transformer if one was installed.)

Bruce.

I was confused by the numbers: 14 stalls minus 8 precast pedestal bases equals 10 stalls?!

Looking at older pictures, it appears that 18 precast pedestal bases were installed, but only 14 charging pedestals were installed atop them. (What were they thinking?) So the 8 removed precast pedestal bases were 4 bases that never had a charging pedestal and 4 bases that were removed along with their charging pedestals. Now the numbers (including the thread title) make sense.

I was confused by the numbers: 14 stalls minus 8 precast pedestal bases equals 10 stalls?!

Looking at older pictures, it appears that 18 precast pedestal bases were installed, but only 14 charging pedestals were installed atop them. (What were they thinking?) So the 8 removed precast pedestal bases were 4 bases that never had a charging pedestal and 4 bases that were removed along with their charging pedestals. Now the numbers (including the thread title) make sense.

I wouldn't read too much into the thread title...it's updated manually by yours truly. Maybe I didn't count correctly before? I can't remember and I'm too lazy to go back and check old photos.

Looks like you've accounted for 10 in your photos, so I'll go ahead and change the count in the thread title. It doesn't matter a whole lot until they finish the installation and turn it on.

Bruce.

Reactions: mociaf9