Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dublin, CA - Amador Plaza (LIVE, 16 V2 stalls, expansion in progress May 2021)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PG&E has a load of options ...

I know all about PG&E tariffs too. I have a spreadsheet of my own. The best for me at this time is E6. I have solar panels which are sized to generate just enough electricity to be monetarily in the plus (because of NEM). In the absolute terms, I use more energy than I produce.

The rate discrepancy between city of Santa Clara and PG&E is huge and cannot be explained by any rate schedules and tiers.

I hope the Dublin supercharger is operational soon. Although it is unlikely that I will ever use it.

Um... Do you work for PG&E? It's very odd to see someone talk to highly of them...

Jeff

It reminds me of all of us on this forum who repeatedly get asked whether we work for Tesla. We seem to talk pretty positively about this company too. :)

The rate discrepancy between city of Santa Clara and PG&E is huge and cannot be explained by any rate schedules and tiers.

Ok, this is an interesting question worth investigating. You also seem very motivated so I'm going to ask you your question right back and make you do the work! :)

I think the first step, since you are the customer of that municipal utility, is to ask whether it is a segregated enterprise department with its own funding. This is important because if it shares funding sources, exchanges resources, or pays for some overhead assets used by general fund departments of the city, then all taxpayers of the city are simply subsidizing the electricity rate, regardless of how much electricity each taxpayer uses.

Second, you should ask whether Santa Clara has its own bulk power purchase agreements or whether it purchases the power wholesale from PG&E at the nearest interconnection. That will give you some more insight into the cost pressures at play here.

Finally, you should ask what is the benefit of a tiered vs. non-tiered rate plan and how it affects energy efficiency and other behavioral choices (such as owning an EV!). I think you know the answers, but why should we have to do all the thinking around here! You can put your thoughts down on forum paper for knowledge share too. :)

- K

Last edited:
As I said above, I am on PG&E (not in Santa Clara). My research didn't find anything that would explain the difference in price. That's why I asked. Apparently no one else has a good answer yet.

It reminds me of all of us on this forum who repeatedly get asked whether we work for Tesla. We seem to talk pretty positively about this company too. :)

Ok, this is an interesting question worth investigating. You also seem very motivated so I'm going to ask you your question right back and make you do the work! :)

I think the first step, since you are the customer of that municipal utility, is to ask whether it is a segregated enterprise department with its own funding. This is important because if it shares funding sources, exchanges resources, or pays for some overhead assets used by general fund departments of the city, then all taxpayers of the city are simply subsidizing the electricity rate, regardless of how much electricity each taxpayer uses.

Second, you should ask whether Santa Clara has its own bulk power purchase agreements or whether it purchases the power wholesale from PG&E at the nearest interconnection. That will give you some more insight into the cost pressures at play here.

Finally, you should ask what is the benefit of a tiered vs. non-tiered rate plan and how it affects energy efficiency and other behavioral choices (such as owning an EV!). I think you know the answers, but why should we have to do all the thinking around here! You can put your thoughts down on forum paper for knowledge share too. :)

- K

Does anyone notice that Dublin looks like a 'real' dealership? I think there are certain entities that are getting nervous - shall we use the word 'conspiracy'?

Just kidding, everyone - we all know that PG&E would never conspire - but wait - don't they get some of their power to run the generation sites via...........

It used to be Chrysler dealership hence the layout. TM people says will this be a regional CPO center eventually.
Went to Golf Mart across the street and I saw PGE installing the final
transformer box. They were working like beavers to get it all hooked up. They said come back next week for a positively charging experience ...

thumb_IMG_5628_1024.jpg

Confirmed. Transformer box is there!